Roger Waters at MSG / Who Opening Night in Philly

Rico

Just got back from seeing Roger Waters' 2nd show at MSG, WOW!!!! One of the best shows I've ever seen, every song kicked much ass (no filler), tight band, spectacular lighting, greatest videos on the big screen, incredible surround sound, just TOO great! The whole show was one big highlight to me, but I had tears in my eyes when they showed the Syd montage during Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Hottest crowd of the year too, everyone was just digging the whole scene. (Warning though if you're a big W fan, you may be offended by some parts of the show... like the Beirut song & "Impeach Bush Now!" written on the back-side of the flying pig.) BIG thumbs up!

Unfortuately, I can not recommend seeing The Who (The Two) this tour. I went opening night in Philly on Tuesday, thought it was OK until I saw Waters the next night. They played a ton of new material from the upcoming album, & the new stuff royally sucks, just killed the show. Last time I saw them was in 79 at the Aud (the day after the Cincy incident), and (for the most part) Townshend can still bring it, he was great. Daltrey still has some vocal chops, but he's a shell of what he used to be as a front-man, just too old. I had great seats (9th row floor, dead center) and could see that he was having problems all night with different things like his hearing aids. :( Unlike Jagger, it was sad seeing him on-stage. :w00t:

I wouldn't say every song rocked, since he was boo'ed after Leaving Beirut.

772845[/snapback]

Like I said, the W supporters didn't/wouldn't like it. The W haters loved it & were cheering loudly where I was at (Loge 51). I heard more cheers than boos. I am neutral (apolitical) on Bush and politics in general so it didn't bother me one way or the other, but I thought the song did rock.

You've got a Townshend who's half-deaf and a Daltrey who was always a tool and always the musical weak-link in that band, with some studio musicians. No thanks.

The Who died with Keith Moon. Period. Seeing them now seems like a cruel joke. They've made some awesome music, but there is no reason besides $ for them to be continuing on like this.

You've got a Townshend who's half-deaf and a Daltrey who was always a tool and always the musical weak-link in that band, with some studio musicians.  No thanks.

The Who died with Keith Moon.  Period.  Seeing them now seems like a cruel joke.  They've made some awesome music, but there is no reason besides $ for them to be continuing on like this.

772908[/snapback]

Agreed 100% with everything except I did think Townshend put on a good show. Pure nostalgia that made me go, greatest hits ("war horses") were what I wanted to hear, not the shite new stuff.

Agreed 100% with everything except I did think Townshend put on a good show. Pure nostalgia that made me go, greatest hits ("war horses") were what I wanted to hear, not the shite new stuff.

772924[/snapback]

Thanx for the review, Hopefully by the time they swing out this way, (Waters Oct 6th, The Who Nov 4th) the shows will be tighter and some of the dead weight from the set lists will be dropped and better material added. Im a huge Who fan but am more looking forward to Waters.

Thanx for the review, Hopefully by the time they swing out this way, (Waters Oct 6th, The Who Nov 4th) the shows will be tighter and some of the dead weight from the set lists will be dropped and better material added. Im a huge Who fan but am more looking forward to Waters.

772978[/snapback]

Yeah, I hope you get a better setlist. Not ONE song from Quadrophenia, WTF ?!? :D

Thanks - I am stoked to see the show this weekend in Philly (Camden, really) and that just pumped me up a few more notches. The Sat night across from Philly has been sold-out for a while. And I may catch him again the following Sat, closer to home, at the Nissan Pavilion in Manassas. He puts on a good show everytime. And it is a "show".

Thanks - I am stoked to see the show this weekend in Philly (Camden, really) and that just pumped me up a few more notches. The Sat night across from Philly has been sold-out for a while. And I may catch him again the following Sat, closer to home, at the Nissan Pavilion in Manassas. He puts on a good show everytime. And it is a "show".

772997[/snapback]

It was the show of shows. If Gilmour was in the band, it might've been close to my all-time fav... it worked without him, but he was missed. Nick Mason though played drums for the Dark Side set & encores which was cool, don't think he's doing all the shows. Enjoy!, I'm thinking about going to Nissan now. :D

It was the show of shows.  If Gilmour was in the band, it might've been close to my all-time fav... it worked without him, but he was missed. Nick Mason though played drums for the Dark Side set & encores which was cool, don't think he's doing all the shows. Enjoy!, I'm thinking about going to Nissan now. :D

773003[/snapback]

Here is a website with a live stream of the 9/12 Waters show. No special software needed, it just runs in Media Player or whatever else you use.

Sounds great

http://lemon2.googlepages.com/

Was there any suprises in the set, or just the same old greatest hits?

773017[/snapback]

Setlist courtesy of thewholive

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Unholy Trinity, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dreams Come True, Mirror Door, Relay, You Better You Bet, Who Are You, Man In The Purple Dress, Black Widow Eyes, Fragments, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Won't Get Fooled Again, Substitute, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre

Relay was the highlight for me...like I said, I could've used some of those same old greatest hits. :D

It was the show of shows.  If Gilmour was in the band, it might've been close to my all-time fav... it worked without him, but he was missed. Nick Mason though played drums for the Dark Side set & encores which was cool, don't think he's doing all the shows. Enjoy!, I'm thinking about going to Nissan now. :D

773003[/snapback]

This is where the subjectiveness of music comes in. No way, no how does the entire show work without Gilmour, just like the "Floyd" of today doesn't work without Waters. You cannot substitute Gilmour's hard edged voice for the whiny tones of Jon Carin.

As for "the show," I've yet to see a better spectacle than what Floyd put on for the Pulse tour. Hell, even Pros & Cons was a fantastic show compared to this tour (which is simply a rehash of In the Flesh five years ago)

This is where the subjectiveness of music comes in.  No way, no how does the entire show work without Gilmour, just like the "Floyd" of today doesn't work without Waters.  You cannot substitute Gilmour's hard edged voice for the whiny tones of Jon Carin.

As for "the show," I've yet to see a better spectacle than what Floyd put on for the Pulse tour.  Hell, even Pros & Cons was a fantastic show compared to this tour (which is simply a rehash of In the Flesh five years ago)

773062[/snapback]

It sounds like you weren't that impressed, too bad. Didn't catch either of those other tours live-and-in-person, so I can't compare.... but given the choice, I'm glad I caught this show over Gilmour's earlier in the year. Don't know for sure how it will play in the outdoor barns though.

It sounds like you weren't that impressed, too bad. Didn't catch either of those other tours live-and-in-person, so I can't compare.... but given the choice, I'm glad I caught this show over Gilmour's earlier in the year. Don't know for sure how it will play in the outdoor barns though.

773071[/snapback]

I was just comparing this show to the previous ones. I thought that musically, this was better than In The Flesh, but pretty much the exact same playlist and less disdain for the audience.

I can see how you can be wowed by last night's show if you hadn't seen the other tours.

I was just comparing this show to the previous ones.  I thought that musically, this was better than In The Flesh, but pretty much the exact same playlist and less disdain for the audience. 

I can see how you can be wowed by last night's show if you hadn't seen the other tours.

773150[/snapback]

Was the video backdrop pretty much the same as well? There was so much stuff going on, sometimes I didn't know where to look!

Setlist courtesy of thewholive

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Unholy Trinity, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dreams Come True, Mirror Door, Relay, You Better You Bet, Who Are You, Man In The Purple Dress, Black Widow Eyes, Fragments, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Won't Get Fooled Again, Substitute, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre

Relay was the highlight for me...like I said, I could've used some of those same old greatest hits. :D

773028[/snapback]

I was hoping for some cuts like Naked Eye. Sister Disco, Doctor Jimmy, Another Tricky Day, Young Man Blues.

Was the video backdrop pretty much the same as well? There was so much stuff going on, sometimes I didn't know where to look!

773185[/snapback]

He had the backdrop, but changed up the video montages. IIRC, the radio that he used for this one was also used in Pros & Cons (but I wouldn't go by my memory of what happened at a floydian concert 20 yrs ago)

This is where the subjectiveness of music comes in.  No way, no how does the entire show work without Gilmour, just like the "Floyd" of today doesn't work without Waters.  You cannot substitute Gilmour's hard edged voice for the whiny tones of Jon Carin.

As for "the show," I've yet to see a better spectacle than what Floyd put on for the Pulse tour.  Hell, even Pros & Cons was a fantastic show compared to this tour (which is simply a rehash of In the Flesh five years ago)

773062[/snapback]

Can't say that I saw the Pulse tour but I did catch The Wall at Nassau Col.(can't really call it a tour), and shows from the Animals, and Wish You Were Here tours and those were spectacles. The latter show was the first time I ever saw someone pissing & puking at the same time. Nasty - yet admired him for his efficiency. Though Waters is good, the whole band is better - they proved it at Live 8.

Can't say that I saw the Pulse tour but I did catch The Wall at Nassau Col.(can't really call it a tour), and shows from the Animals, and Wish You Were Here tours and those were spectacles. The latter show was the first time I ever saw someone pissing & puking at the same time. Nasty - yet admired him for his efficiency. Though Waters is good, the whole band is better - they proved it at Live 8.

773474[/snapback]

That is too cool that you saw the Wall at Nassau! Now that had to be the show of shows! I would've also LOVED to have seen them in the 70's.