TV Freaks...

Kelly the Dog

Where they used two different eras with the same characters, and then just switched back and forth between them? Like, for example, characters who were 20 in the 1980s and then 40 in present day? I know there obviously have been episodes in series that took the characters back and forth but does anyone know of a series, however lousy or short-lived, where that was the basic premise. That there were two time periods?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where they used two different eras with the same characters, and then just switched back and forth between them? Like, for example, characters who were 20 in the 1980s and then 40 in present day? I know there obviously have been episodes in series that took the characters back and forth but does anyone know of a series, however lousy or short-lived, where that was the basic premise. That there were two time periods?

770677[/snapback]

The Wonder Years had a voice-over from a different time period but I don't remember if they actually ever showed the "present time" version of the character.

I have no idea what the show was, so I may not be much help, but I had a girlfriend once who watched a very "chick-flickish" type series that kind of revolved around racial tensions. There were two main women characters, one white and one black, who had been friends since childhood. I wouldn't say the show was completely based on rotating between two eras, but every show was full of flashbacks from their time as adults to their time as kids.

I really hated the show (too after school special for me), so I don't know the name, but it may jog someone elses memory.

770677[/snapback]

Life on Mars (BBC America) sort of fits your premise, but not entirely. A detective in 2006 is trying to solve a murder/dissappearence case, gets hit by a car (Bowie's "Life on Mars" is the song playing on his car radio when he get's hit) and he wakes up in 1973. Now he's a detective in 1973, trying to use 2006 techniques to solve crimes, all the while trying to figure out whether he's really back in 1973, or in a coma. He can hear his 2006 mother and 2006 doctors talking through his TV, etc, discussing whether they should pull the plug on him.

Very, very cool show, which is apparently getting developed by David Kelly for a US adaptation, meaning the US version will suck a$$ compared to the Brit version.

Like I said, not entirely the same as hopping from time-to-time, but it fits some of your criteria. Great soundtrack, too. Plenty of Hawkwind, T.Rex, etc.

Last spring my wife watched an absolute garbage series called Reunion about a group of high-school friends that showed them in high-school, college, and in the present. I think there was a murder mystery that is somehow explained by flashing back to their lives in the 80s and 90s.

Not sure if that meets your criteria.

That was the hook for the short lived " Jack and Bobby " on the WB. Unfortunately when it hit air it went with Wonder Years style voice overs. The cheap bastards probably didn't want the expense of filming in two eras.

Jack and Bobby

It had the unique oppurtunity to appeal to both a male and female audience; West Wing meets (insert domestic drama here) .

"Cold Case" is the closest example currently running. Some of the flashbacks have casting so effective that it creeps me out.

LOVE that show.  And you're right the US version will suck.

770742[/snapback]

That's what I thought about The Office which, of course, does not suck.

I'll have to BitTorrent an episode of Life on Mars to check it out. This fall's lineup looks like a snoozefest. At least the new shows anyway.

CBS's Cold Case. From the Wiki article:

"Cold Case is notable for double-casting: it will cast a young actor for the flashback sequences and a more seasoned actor for the shots in the present, and cut back and forth between the two, to show how the character has aged. The episode "One Night" managed to triple-cast one character, showing him in the present day, when he committed his murder and when he was a teenager."

That's what I thought about The Office which, of course, does not suck.

I'll have to BitTorrent an episode of Life on Mars to check it out. This fall's lineup looks like a snoozefest. At least the new shows anyway.

770749[/snapback]

There are reasons that the US version will suck. It is a series with a really short shelf life. If they stretched it out to 5-10 seasons like US TV loves to do it'd totally ruin it.

770677[/snapback]

You know now that I'm thinking about it I think there was a Fox (I think) series that is like you're describing. It was about a group of people involved in some kind of murder or something like that and it flashed back from the present (older) to the past. Can't remember what it was, but remember thinking I wanted to see it, but never got around to watching it.

Edit: OK I found the show I was talking about. It's called Reunion

LOVE that show.  And you're right the US version will suck.

770742[/snapback]

Minor thread hijack:

Did you catch "Waterloo Road"? Wow. Another great series that would probably get ruined by US TV writers. It's not back on again until spring 2007. Totally worth checking out the 8-ep series if it's on reruns.

End of minor thread hijack.

There's some new series coming out on one of the alphabet stations that has some similiar high school to middle age crap. Don't know what it's called or anything - because it looks like it's gonna suck huge.

The only show so far in the fall lineup that even looks interesting is Studio 60.

That was the hook for the short lived " Jack and Bobby " on the WB. Unfortunately when it hit air it went with Wonder Years style voice overs. The cheap bastards probably didn't want the expense of filming in two eras.

Jack and Bobby

It had the unique oppurtunity to appeal to both a male and female audience; West Wing meets (insert domestic drama here) .

"Cold Case" is the closest example currently running. Some of the flashbacks have casting so effective that it creeps me out.

770746[/snapback]

Thanks. Jack and Bobby was a pretty interesting premise from that article. I remember watching an epsiode and I don't think they went to the different era except VO like you said.

CBS's Cold Case.  From the Wiki article:

"Cold Case is notable for double-casting: it will cast a young actor for the flashback sequences and a more seasoned actor for the shots in the present, and cut back and forth between the two, to show how the character has aged. The episode "One Night" managed to triple-cast one character, showing him in the present day, when he committed his murder and when he was a teenager."

770750[/snapback]

But Cold Case doesn't have recurring characters, or the main characters, at two different ages does it?