The playbook?

Dibs

With peoples comments regarding Fast freddys pickup by the Pats & his knowledge of our playbook, it has given me pause to think....& I have discovered that I have no idea.

I'll run through my thoughts.....

If all the players get the playbooks to learn, about 30 of them are cut within 2 weeksish of the season...anyone could then get the plays from any of these cut players(Fast Freddy).

Also, where & when would they practice the plays? I assume they would want to practice them to get ready for the season but....can't anyone just go to the practices & watch what they are doing(i.e. you guys who covered the camps)?

I guess I'm curious as to when the players are given the playbook and when & where they practice them.

Does anyone know the details of this?

can't anyone just go to the practices & watch what they are doing

I do know that WRT training camp, scouts are not permitted UNLESS you charge for admission.

WRT 'knowing the playbook', I don't think that's really that much of a deal. The playbook itself probably amounts to 100s if not in excess of 1000 pages (or the equivalent - it's probably computerized). W/o knowing the specifics of what is intended for that particular week (i.e. which 50 plays, out of what formations and what down & distance; the equivalent on defense) it is probably of minimal value. Bear in mind, many teams all run the same basic plays. (You hear about this all the time as players are often learning new playbooks & basing their understanding on previous knowledge.)

Granted, if your plan of attack is based on a few 'gadget plays' that are designed to be used only once, you could lose the element of surprise.

I'd be more concerned w/ the 'decoding' of signals. Presumably, they have some form of 'encryption' that they can modify each week so that a player on the other sidelines can't steal the audibles given at the LOS, but I don't know.

I do know that WRT training camp, scouts are not permitted UNLESS you charge for admission.

762878[/snapback]

I believe you have that backwards ...

You can only deny someone entry if you DO charge for entrance. If it's a freebie, you have no grounds to turn anyone away.

Belichick actually talked about this in a presser or interview recently. He says that playbooks aren't worth a lot for a lot of the reasons already listed. They tend to have 5x the number of plays a team will use, generally aren't organized by down-and-distance, so while you can know the plays it's knowing when those plays will be run (and what nuances the players put into those plays...who does their job/who doesn't) that makes the difference.

And he did have a good point this week in saying that a player like Fast Freddie will be busy enough getting up to speed on the Pats' playbook in order to be able to produce this weekend. Will they know more about the Bills than they would have had they not signed Smith? Sure, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

I believe you have that backwards ...

You can only deny someone entry if you DO charge for entrance. If it's a freebie, you have no grounds to turn anyone away.

No, I think I've got it right, but I'm not certain as to the specifics.

You may recall, a few yrs ago, Daniel $nyder charged admission for 'Skins camp, but one of the reasons the practice was stopped was that it allowed scouts to see them.

The NFL wants to promote to the public & one of the ways is to allow free viewing of practices.

You may recall, a few yrs ago, Daniel $nyder charged admission for 'Skins camp, but  one of the reasons the practice was stopped was that it allowed scouts to see them.

The NFL wants to promote to the public & one of the ways is to allow free viewing of practices.

763169[/snapback]

Yup.

Toward the bottom:

The move also could have hurt them on the field. Charging for the practices would have opened the doors for scouts from around the league to come to training camp and get a head start on game-planning for the season.

The NFL bans scouts from the free practices in training camp, allowing them to attend only events for which the team sells tickets.

There's this thing called google. You put in phrases like NFL scouts "training camp" "charge admission" and the link above comes up as the first option. Don't trust everything it gives you as gospel, but if it's an article on NFL.com, I think it can be trusted....See GG for more details on how to use this tube-based tool...

Belichick actually talked about this in a presser or interview recently.  He says that playbooks aren't worth a lot for a lot of the reasons already listed.  They tend to have 5x the number of plays a team will use, generally aren't organized by down-and-distance, so while you can know the plays it's knowing when those plays will be run (and what nuances the players put into those plays...who does their job/who doesn't) that makes the difference. 

And he did have a good point this week in saying that a player like Fast Freddie will be busy enough getting up to speed on the Pats' playbook in order to be able to produce this weekend.  Will they know more about the Bills than they would have had they not signed Smith?  Sure, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

763165[/snapback]

Also, the key difference between Milloy signing and Smith signing is that Milloy was in the same Patriots Defense/Offense the previous years and knew the system and tendencies of the players much better. For smith, his exposure to this offense is less than six months and has no game-day experience....

You may recall, a few yrs ago, Daniel $nyder charged admission for 'Skins camp, but  one of the reasons the practice was stopped was that it allowed scouts to see them.

763169[/snapback]

I was wrong. Thanks.