Bill Polian

fedup

why on earth he was fired? Probably one of the worst moves this team has made.

I think he took Carolina to the NFC championship game after 2 years and, even

though Indy hasn't made to the SB, at least they've been winning games.

Would love to have him now.

why on earth he was fired?  Probably one of the worst moves this team has made.

55021[/snapback]

Even if he wasn't fired then he would have left the team long before now. Nobody stays with one team for 20 years.

why on earth he was fired?  Probably one of the worst moves this team has made.

55021[/snapback]

Umm, that was a while ago, but Polian was fired becasue he couldn't get along with Ralph Wilson, plain and simple. He was incapable of kissing the owners ass (see TD), so he had to go. It had very little to do with the franchises on the field performance. As much as Ralph has been willing to spend on the roster since the Kelly era (believe me, it wasn't always that way) he is still a little miserly when it comes to paying coaches and management. That is why the Bills were never in serious contention to acquire an experienced, proven vetran head coach. No slam on Mularkey.

Umm, that was a while ago, but Polian was fired becasue he couldn't get along with Ralph Wilson, plain and simple.  He was incapable of kissing the owners ass (see TD), so he had to go.  It had very little to do with the franchises on the field performance.  As much as Ralph has been willing to spend on the roster since the Kelly era (believe me, it wasn't always that way) he is still a little miserly when it comes to paying coaches and management. That is why the Bills were never in serious contention to acquire an experienced, proven vetran head coach.  No slam on Mularkey.

55077[/snapback]

Plus he reputedly told Ralph's so-called scout daughter to go take a flying stevestojan.

She told daddy.

As I recall, the word around the Buffalo Media was that Polian had made one too many disparaging remarks privately about the personality and involvement of Ralph Wilson's daughter in the "Scouting department". This was right around the time she became involved in the club. Uncle Ralph wasn't having it and told BP the upcoming season(1992) would be his last as GM. Polian said "fine" and it was kept under wraps until post SB XXVII. This was a costly move in more ways than one. The free agency era was about to begin and our star LT Will Wolford was set to become a FA. He wanted to stay in Buffalo and his agent made repeated attempts to negotiate with BP throughout the 1992 season. BP refused to return his agents calls. Since Polian knew he was leaving the Bills, he figured he'd screw RW and sure enough, Wolford was lost to FA in the offseason to Ted Marchibroda's Colts. Bad decision by Ralph all the way around, as I believe Polian would still be here today. We started to decline immediately under John Butler in the talent department. This was magnified by free agent losses and the aging of Polian's players. JB was involved in those Polian drafts, but was not the mastermind. BP would never have allowed our OL to turn into the turnstile of mediocrity we've endured since 1994. B)

As I recall, the word around the Buffalo Media was that Polian had made one too many disparaging remarks privately about the personality and involvement of Ralph Wilson's daughter in the "Scouting department". This was right around the time she became involved in the club. Uncle Ralph wasn't having it and told BP the upcoming season(1992) would be his last as GM. Polian said "fine" and it was kept under wraps until post SB XXVII. This was a costly move in more ways than one. The free agency era was about to begin and our star LT Will Wolford was set to become a FA. He wanted to stay in Buffalo and his agent made repeated attempts to negotiate with BP throughout the 1992 season. BP refused to return his agents calls. Since Polian knew he was leaving the Bills, he figured he'd screw RW and sure enough, Wolford was lost to FA in the offseason to Ted Marchibroda's Colts. Bad decision by Ralph all the way around, as I believe Polian would still be here today. We started to decline immediately under John Butler in the talent department. This was magnified by free agent losses and the aging of Polian's players. JB was involved in those Polian drafts, but was not the mastermind. BP would never have allowed our OL to turn into the turnstile of mediocrity we've endured since 1994. B)

55112[/snapback]

Good post. But the bottom line is this. Tom Donahoe was brought here to re- energize this team. The number of wins and loses speak for themselves

55112[/snapback]

I think a good post but you lost me at the last part. Bills never did have a grade A OLine in other than the AFC. Thats why we got steamrolled in the last 3 Super Bowls when the NFC teams showed us what a real offensive line was.