Whitner

SuperBills12

Of all the rookies, Ko Simpson was the most present. I really, really, really like this guy. He's all over the field and is willing to put his hat into anyone.

Whitner got a good shot at a guy that was being held up by another Bill. He also had an opportunity to lay a receiver out, but the ball sailed OB and the WR was smart enough (unfortunately) to not make an attempt at it.

Didn't see much from McCargo...He was in there, but didn't see much. I find myself thinking this a lot. Not a good sign.

Ellison played a lot....had one weird penalty where he got down the field too fast on a punt. I'm still not sure I understand that one.

I keep thinking that about McCargo also. He's a body. Which we were desperately short of, but doesn't seem to be much of a (positive) stir. To be fair, not much of a negative one either.

Most of the news that I've read about the other 1st round DTs (Ngata & Bunkley) have been on the negative side. So... no bad news is good news!

Getting another (competent) body out of our 5th rounder (Williams) is a spectacular success in my book.

There was one play where Whitner tried to come up for run support and met a pulling guard or tackle at the line of scrimmage, and the lineman knocked him on his rear and flipped him over about two times. Whitner just rolled over, didn't know where he was, and almost got a hand on the ball carrier who was tackled right beside him. Whitner was just off balance when he got hit but it was one of the funnier plays I've seen in awhile, had to watch it about 3-4 times.

Nothing to do with this play, but I'm a little concerned about Whitner. It doesn't seem like he's around the ball nearly as much as he should be and he's pretty small (same size as Nate Clements) to be billed as this big-hitting linebacker type safety. I just don't see it yet. Hopefully the light comes on for him soon.

Well, hopefully he plays like him.

I know it's just a few meaningless games, and it's not like I'm saying he's a bust, obviously, but he is the starting strong safety. He needs to produce and I'm a little concerned about him right now.

I heard Tasker (or someone??) say it was because the coaches wanted to get a longer look at Wire because he was on the bubble.

Personally I think it may have been just as much to light a fire under Whitner, but that's just a guess.

Whitner is the same size as Troy Polomolu from the Steelers.

759055[/snapback]

This might be true, but from what I've seen thus far he doesn't play with the same size as Polomolu. There's something to be said for going full steam and laying your body on the line on each and every play. It can make smaller guys play a lot bigger (take Winfield for example).

Granted, to be able to do that a player has to be totally comfortable with the D and stop thinking about what he's doing. Hopefully we'll see what Whitner is really capable of by season's end.