Best veteran alternative to Holcomb

how about bill volek? he's asking for a trade now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2567498

757289[/snapback]

Volek won't want to make a lateral move. He would not want to come to a team where he's only going to be a third string guy. No, there's no way he'd be a second string QB in Buffalo not having gone through training camp and learned Buffalo's system.

How'd that work out....yikes!

Nall is a veteran of being on an NFL team, but he has little regular season game playing experience.  If JP gets hurt late in a close game, I want someone with experience to replace him.  Someone who has been in that position before.  Not saying Holcomb is the ideal candidate, but he has the most experience on the current roster.  And unless Holcomb complains about not starting, I think he makes a fine #2....

757057[/snapback]

would also be helpful if the backup could actually run the same offense as the starter.

If Holcomb plays the entire offense changes to a dink and dunk approach.

No thanks

We already have basically two young guys in Losman and Nall. The season may be lost but we also need to see the OL gel and the offense take hold and the team start to learn how to play and win together. The entire team benefits in the short and long run under an experienced back-up than it does playing a third young guy with little chance of being the eventual starter.

757270[/snapback]

Yeah, but given the fact that we do have AVP as Offensive Quality Control Coach to work with the QBs, I'm not sure having an experienced KH brings that much more to the table - especially since all he's doing is 'riding the pine' and not really getting any snaps anyway.

I like the whole 'competition at every position' thing that Levy/Jauron have stressed, and am glad to see it applies to backup QB as well. Plus, Nall's contract is for 3 years - if he thinks he can start elsewhere and wants out 'cause JP turns into the 'second coming', it would be smart to be grooming a young #3 to become a #2, I think.

I have no animus toward KH - he did what was asked, I wish him well. I just don't see the value in keeping him, especially if we can get a 6th or 7th round pick - but even if we can't - if he can move up the depth chart with another team.

Hopefully, Nall looks good tonite.

GO BILLS!!!!

(19 and 0 baby! :) )

The season may be lost but we also need to see the OL gel and the offense take hold and the team start to learn how to play and win together. The entire team benefits in the short and long run under an experienced back-up than it does playing a third young guy with little chance of being the eventual starter.

We already have basically two young guys in Losman and Nall.

:)

If Fitzpatrick gets cut, I agree with previous posts...sign him and trade Holcomb to Colts or Chargers.

Fitzpatrick is a solid prospect! More upside than having Holcomb as #3 on our depth chart!

757226[/snapback]

Are we looking for a prospect or a back up? Fitzpatrick is irish, that is the only thing he has going for himself.