A-Train or Gates

I havent really seen much out of either. I think both have had their moments, gates has had about 12 more carries. 21 to atrains 9. both are averaging under 3 yards per carry, but Im inclined to go on the side of youth. So I'll say gates, but Id prefer if both stuck around and we cut rope with shaud williams.

Gates had two pretty stunning TD runs. Some guys just have a nose for the goalline you cannot teach. They both had their moments. But if it were up to me I'd keep them both, give Gates first crack at it, and jettison Shaud. Even though he is a change of pace, he does little for me.

Gates had two pretty stunning TD runs. Some guys just have a nose for the goalline you cannot teach. They both had their moments. But if it were up to me I'd keep them both, give Gates first crack at it, and jettison Shaud. Even though he is a change of pace, he does little for me.

756838[/snapback]

I've never like Shaud. A real dud in my book.

756838[/snapback]

I really do think it's possible that Gates will be our number 2 back and Shaud will be number 3. For some reason I see A-train getting cut.

ahhh, yes....

The A-Train vs. The Toy Train

i like both of these guys. I see where A-Train still has a physicality to him where he likes to lower the boom on guys, even when he's getting tackled near the sideline. That's an attitude I like in a RB.

On the flip side, I think Lionel is only going to get better. He seems to be tireless....one of those guys who can wear down a D. He has good promise for the future.

The big thing I draw from seeing these two is that if WM is ever hurt we are screwed as I do not see either performing well enough to be anywhere near an adequate starter.

Gates clearly has shown a nose for the endzone somehow landing on his feet and backing in for the TD after getting helicoptered by a low hit and struggling into he endzone. However, he has not racked up a ypc high enough to indicate that he has much break away speed or ability to consistently be a rush threat beyond getting tough yards inside.

The word was that A-Ytain was gonna see more reps this game and we would have been able to see what he could do not playing in the garbage time he has gotten so far. However, he was not used much in this game which may have been because Jauron was pissed when he started off the game getting a facemask penalty while blocking for the return team.

I think Shaud may in fact be a goner as he has been given a chance to show he has additional worth as a return guy but has had little impact in this role.

Gates has been impressive with the TDs but has not shown anything beyond the glitzy stuff which impresses the casual watcher while the coaches will probably make their judgments based om stiff difficult to see in the game feed or impossible to see except up close in practice or on tapes such as:

1. Blitz pick-up

2. Route running as a dump off receiver.

3. ST play

4, Blocking and faking ability on end arounds or scrambles.

Gates has not separated himself enough from Thomas with his better running to beat out Thomas if he shows better than Gates on this other stuff.

easy, Thomas, due to the fact that he has actually carried the load for a team, if we release him he'll end up in NY. If McGahee get hurt, I'd rather see a vet who has shown the abilities, I agree that Gates has been impressive, however against who? 2nd team D. Thomas was the reason the Bears were good 5 years ago. I still see that fire in him. I think several years of sub par play and a 2nd chance will prove he belongs still.

I am not sure if gates has the ability to play special teams, I hope he can. I'd love to keep both in uniform.

I think both will hopefully get some carries, and as long as Shaud Williams gets cut, I don't care who is listed as #2. With his size, you would hope Shaud was at least like a poor mans Tiki Barber, but he's not even that. He's not that fast, and I've never seen a guy get tackled as easily as he does. Sorry, the dude just isn't NFL caliber. I like A-Train as #2 but give Gates the short yardage and goaline carries if Willis is for some reason unable.