David Bowie

ajzepp

That's right, another music thread....muah ha ha :devil:

Sorry, but this board is a HUGE resource for me with regard to music....you guys know your sheeaat and I can't bear to go too long w/out picking your brains yet again :D

Okay, David Bowie....don't know a THING about the guy other than the fact that he liked/likes to wear some pretty freaky garb on stage. Funny thing is, every time I hear a song on some show that is credited to Bowie, I'm pretty into the music. For example, one of the contestants on Rock Star: Supernova was covering a Bowie hit about some star guy up in space or whatever. It was a pretty simple song, but I really enjoyed it.

So....any of you guys like this weirdo? Care to recommend some starter albums for me?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, another music thread....muah ha ha  :devil:

Sorry, but this board is a HUGE resource for me with regard to music....you guys know your sheeaat and I can't bear to go too long w/out picking your brains yet again  :lol:

Okay, David Bowie....don't know a THING about the guy other than the fact that he liked/likes to wear some pretty freaky garb on stage. Funny thing is, every time I hear a song on some show that is credited to Bowie, I'm pretty into the music. For example, one of the contestants on Rock Star: Supernova was covering a Bowie hit about some star guy up in space or whatever. It was a pretty simple song, but I really enjoyed it.

So....any of you guys like this weirdo? Care to recommend some starter albums for me?

756646[/snapback]

Some star guy up in space?! :D You mean Space Oddity? ("Ground control to Major Tom...") That's a classic dude, you should be ashamed that you don't know it.

I love Bowie. If you want a great variety of his songs, I HIGHLY recommend "Dream Anthology - 1966- 1968." Lots of good stuff there.

CW

Some star guy up in space?!  :devil:  You mean Space Oddity? ("Ground control to Major Tom...")  That's a classic dude, you should be ashamed that you don't know it.

I love Bowie.  If you want a great variety of his songs, I HIGHLY recommend "Dream Anthology - 1966- 1968."  Lots of good stuff there.

CW

756656[/snapback]

Nope, wasn't that one...I'm glad to hear he sings that though, cause I really like that song :D This was about a starman guy or something....I'll have to see if I can find it. They sang it on rock star a few weeks ago....I think ryan sang it.

Nope, wasn't that one...I'm glad to hear he sings that though, cause I really like that song :devil:  This was about a starman guy or something....I'll have to see if I can find it. They sang it on rock star a few weeks ago....I think ryan sang it.

756659[/snapback]

Oh, ok. That makes me feel better that you know Space Oddity (even if you didn't know who sang it :D ).

Oh, ok.  That makes me feel better that you know Space Oddity (even if you didn't know who sang it :lol: ).

756662[/snapback]

Yeah, I definitely didn't realize it was him....I always thought it was some obscure one hit wonder guy :devil:

Looks like that Starman song is on the ziggy stardust albumn that Pete mentioned.....wish I could hear it....damn computer :D

You know, I'm starting to realize that I just grew up with some lousy music in the 80s. I really like a lot of the stuff from the early 80s, but the rest of the decade was asss. Now that you guys are helping me find all sorts of great sh-- that I knew very little or nothing about whatsoever, it's really opening my eyes up to how much great stuff is really out there. I'm diggin it.

You know, I'm starting to realize that I just grew up with some lousy music in the 80s. I really like a lot of the stuff from the early 80s, but the rest of the decade was asss.

I don't agree with that at all. There's a ton of good music in the 80s. You want bad, look at this entire century for the most part :lol:

Oh wait, you like American Idol, nevermind. :devil::D

I don't agree with that at all.  There's a ton of good music in the 80s. You want bad, look at this entire century for the most part :lol:

Oh wait, you like American Idol, nevermind.  :devil:  :D

756691[/snapback]

Well, I should qualify it by saying that pop music was crap in the 80s, which is primarily what I listened to. I enjoyed some Tears for Fears stuff, Chicago had a couple nice hits, Lou Gramm was sort of a friend of the family so I got into some Foreigner stuff. I dunno...I look back and all I see are people like Janet Jackson, the Bangles, Duran Duran, cyndi lauper, etc, etc....

I guess I liked the first and last part of the decade, but hated the middle. I'm a huge GnR fan, and they alone are worth giving the late 80s a good mark. Those guys could rock it out.

Well, I should qualify it by saying that pop music was crap in the 80s, which is primarily what I listened to. I enjoyed some Tears for Fears stuff, Chicago had a couple nice hits, Lou Gramm was sort of a friend of the family so I got into some Foreigner stuff. I dunno...I look back and all I see are people like Janet Jackson, the Bangles, Duran Duran, cyndi lauper, etc, etc....

I guess I liked the first and last part of the decade, but hated the middle. I'm a huge GnR fan, and they alone are worth giving the late 80s a good mark. Those guys could rock it out.

756696[/snapback]

Yeah, the pop stuff sucked. But then again, I hate pop stuff in general. :devil:

The rock/metal scene was awesome though. :D

CW

Yeah, the pop stuff sucked.  But then again, I hate pop stuff in general. :devil:

The rock/metal scene was awesome though. :D

CW

756705[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm more into that now than I was back then...in fact, I credit GnR for really getting me turned on to a heavier, grungier kind of music. I grew up with MTV, so I was pretty much listening to whatever they were promoting, which was mostly pop. I remember in the late 80s there were some heavier bands like Kix, Skid Row, and Warrant that I was getting into, so I was starting to get away from the pop stuff a LITTLE, though I first knew of those bands because of their pop hits. I was a big fan of the rock ballad....'High Enough' by Damn Yankees, 'More than Words' by Extreme, 'Don't know what you got til it's gone' by Cinderella....sh-- like that.

Bowie is a musical genius and helped give SRV a big push. He also has a HUGE library of work. Are you kidding about this?  :devil:

756709[/snapback]

I'm not kidding about anything, my friend....I'm trying to learn more about the guy, cause I have an inkling I like his stuff more than I realize.

Bowie did so many songs that you know, but you don't know he did them it is ridiculous. For example did you know that that song they play constantly on the radio from the Nirvana unplugged called The Man Who Sold The World is a Bowie cover song? It's true.

Space Oddity, Janine, Lady Stardust, Changes, Ziggy Stardust, Fame, Oh you Pretty Things, Surfagette City, China Girl, Under Pressure, Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs, Golden Years, etc, etc, etc.

I have worn out about every type of media copy of Ziggy Stardust that exists or did once exist on Earth. Bowie fuggin ROCKS!!!!!