Robert Royal

bizell

So I tune in to the Browns/Bills game on NFL Network yesterday, and the first play I get to see is Robert Royal being pushed back 5 yards by Kamerion Wimbley. Oh, Wimbley also managed to tackle McGahee for a 3 or 4 yard loss.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be like 'an extra lineman'?

So I tune in to the Browns/Bills game on NFL Network yesterday, and the first play I get to see is Robert Royal being pushed back 5 yards by Kamerion Wimbley.  Oh, Wimbley also managed to tackle McGahee for a 3 or 4 yard loss.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be like 'an extra lineman'?

756149[/snapback]

Yeah, blocks as good as an extra lineman.....if the lineman is Bennie :D

way to take something out of context!

756171[/snapback]

What context should it have been taken in?

You took one play out of a game where he was pushed back 5 yards and using that to make the comment that he was supposed to be like an extra linemen. I haven't watched much of the preseason games this year so I can't comment on how he has looked the entire time, but I am not going to start a post where from one play that I wached he pushed a guy back 5 yards and proclaim him the best linemen on the team

What context should it have been taken in?

You took one play out of a game where he was pushed back 5 yards and using that to make the comment that he was supposed to be like an extra linemen. I haven't watched much of the preseason games this year so I can't comment on how he has looked the entire time, but I am not going to start a post where from one play that I wached he pushed a guy back 5 yards and proclaim him the best linemen on the team

756177[/snapback]

The context is pretty simple... the first I see of Royal, after hearing about how great he is at blocking all offseason, is him getting pushed backwards by a rookie and the rookie making a tackle for a big loss.

The context is pretty simple... the first I see of Royal, after hearing about how great he is at blocking all offseason, is him getting pushed backwards by a rookie and the rookie making a tackle for a big loss.

756178[/snapback]

So, becasue the veteran TE that has a reputation fro being a good blocker was pushed back on one play by a rookie and it led to a tackle of the RB for a loss of 3-4 yards, I say Marv should have cut him already cause he obviously sucks

So, becasue the veteran TE that has a reputation fro being a good blocker was pushed back on one play by a rookie and it led to a tackle of the RB for a loss of 3-4 yards, I say Marv should have cut him already cause he obviously sucks

756191[/snapback]

I hope all of your other 1494 posts contained as much wit and wisdom as the ones in this thread

I hope all of your other 1494 posts contained as much wit and wisdom as the ones in this thread

756195[/snapback]

Actually he is right and said exactly what you posted about ... correctly ... you took one play out of the entire game and in a backwards sort of way, accused Royal of not being a good blocker. How could we have possibly taken that in a different context?

Actually he is right and said exactly what you posted about ... correctly ... you took one play out of the entire game and in a backwards sort of way, accused Royal of not being a good blocker. How could we have possibly taken that in a different context?

756208[/snapback]

... whatever. i was asking if this guy is supposed to be a good blocker or not. i don't see where 'oh my god what does marv see in him, let's cut him' could come from that statement.

... whatever. i was asking if this guy is supposed to be a good blocker or not. i don't see where 'oh my god what does marv see in him, let's cut him' could come from that statement.

756231[/snapback]

Dont get offended. I dont doubt that that is what you were trying to say. Its just that sometimes people post something, not realizing that it can be taken a different way. I have done it before.

Dont get offended. I dont doubt that that is what you were trying to say. Its just that sometimes people post something, not realizing that it can be taken a different way. I have done it before.

756233[/snapback]

gotcha. i could probably have worded that better... doh. :D

Hey man, i'm not trying to offend you or anything, but your original post was basically saying "I saw this one play where he was pushed back by a rookie, I thought he was supposed to be good"

I noticed you haven't been posting for long on this board, trust me, this place is full of people with the kind of attitude that after watching one play they know if a guy is good or not. Heck, most here had given JP 8 games before crying for a QB to be drafted at #8 this year.

gotcha. i could probably have worded that better... doh.  ;)

756236[/snapback]

If I saw the play, I probably would have thought the same thing. Don't take it badly, we live in rude times due to the internet. A TE signed for a big deal because of his blocking should not be pushed back by a "light" defensive end rookie. Sometimes it only takes a few plays to get a gut feel about a player. So when, somebody responds like that, just tell him to STFU. :D

This just in, football players, especially those that play in the trenches are STRONG.

I'm not familiar w/ the play in question, but it's entirely possible that the player in question just beat Royal, or perhaps Royal wasn't ready to block him.

If you 'only' weigh 250 lbs & a guy that can bench about 500 hits you either by surprise or when you're off balance, he WILL be able to push you, if not entirely knock your butt on the ground.

If this happened consisitently to him by the guy he was assigned to block, I'd be inclined to say he doesn't belong in the NFL playing TE, and definitely shouldn't qualify as a good blocker, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from 1 play.

Actually almost any TE will look bad against a DLineman. Typically a TE well called to block is either going against a LB or helping chip on a DL. Rarely and especially in a power rush situation will a TE take a DL on 1 on 1. IMHO, that is more of either a missed block that Royals wasn't expected to take alone (hence read tackle f'ed up) or a bad blocking scheme by the coach.

Also, wasn't Wimebly a 1st rounder?

If I saw the play, I probably would have thought the same thing. Don't take it badly, we live in rude times due to the internet. A TE signed for a big deal because of his blocking should not be pushed back by a "light" defensive end rookie. Sometimes it only takes a few plays to get a gut feel about a player. So when, somebody responds like that, just tell him to STFU.  :D

756249[/snapback]

I'm sorry, please accept my sincer appologies for being so rude

In case you haven't noticed, around here there are alot of dumb post that are made every day about player 'x' not doing something right so he must suck. I was being sarcastic in my original reply because of this. But thanks for chiming in anyways ;)

Hey man, i'm not trying to offend you or anything, but your original post was basically saying "I saw this one play where he was pushed back by a rookie, I thought he was supposed to be good"

I noticed you haven't been posting for long on this board, trust me, this place is full of people with the kind of attitude that after watching one play they know if a guy is good or not. Heck, most here had given JP 8 games before crying for a QB to be drafted at #8 this year.

756245[/snapback]

well, yeah, like i said, he was pushed back. but i also said it was the first time i'd seen him after hearing all offseason about how great of a blocker he was. i was just wondering if anyone else had any such observations about him. i didn't say he sucked.

and fyi people, kamerion wimbley = linebacker

well, yeah, like i said, he was pushed back. but i also said it was the first time i'd seen him after hearing all offseason about how great of a blocker he was.  i was just wondering if anyone else had any such observations about him.  i didn't say he sucked.

and fyi people, kamerion wimbley = linebacker

756282[/snapback]

He may be projected there but he was a 1st rounder at DE.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/423993

And I watched the whole game and he was lining up at LDE with his hand down most of the time.