Game thread...

udonkey

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree, if there's nothing available past the marker you check down and try to pick up the 5-6 yards the team needs to get into FG range.

752683[/snapback]

I believe in this instance it would still be over a 50 yarder. But I don't disagree if the option is there to pick up enough to get in reasonable fg range. Which I guess may have been in this case. I'm not actually able to watch the game unfortunately.

food for thought:

jim kelly's rookie year: 22 td, 17 int

Jim would go on to total 19 and 18 interceptions in 4 seperate seasons

troy aikman's first full year as a starter (1990) 11 td, 18 int

payton manning's first year (1998) 26 td, 28 int

2001- 26 td, 23 int

brett favre's 2nd full year as starter (1993) 19 td, 24 int

eli manning's first 25 games as a starter: 26 int, comp.% 51.6%

the point of my post is just to throw out some stat's from some of the greatest qb's to ever play the game along with eli manning who most experts believe is a great up and comming talent. i know that jp will be hung out to dry after throwing a second bad interception in two straight pre season games, but he is doing no worse then the qb's who are mentioned above. this season is going to be his FIRST FULL season (at least i hope) as the starter and he is going to have his growing pains. he may or may not pan out, that remains to be seen. but i think he at least deserves one full season to show that he can progress, learn from his mistakes, and get better with each game. and my gut tells me that you will see marked improvment as the season wears on, especially if you mark the season into four equal, four game 'mini seasons'.

all in all, he has a lot to work on and he is no where near a probowl caliber level right now. however, from watching his action these last two pre season games, it is very clear that he does posess a great amoung of talent for the QB position in both arm strenght, general accuracy, and athletisicm (this part can not be teached). as long as he makes improvemtns in terms of his decision making from week to week this season, i am very happy having him as our starting qb for 2006. a bigger concern to me is the play of the O.line and our secondary and i hold the same standards for those players as i do for jp. i expect the D. as a unit to improve from week to week and quarter to quarter.

the bottom line: for this years team, the sky is the limit. the quicker the team comes together and plays smart, mistake free football, the quicker we will turn the program into a winning organization. it WILL happen.....the question is, how long will it take??

go bills!!!!

FYI: you can find my quarterback stats at http://www.pro-football-reference.com

my appologies for not running spell check, i'm going back to the game!!