Just watched the game on NFL network

I know all my fellow Bills fans are on the edge of their seats. Here are my thoughts after watching the first quarter of the Bills/Bengals game.

1. I liked what I saw of Losman.

He had a real presence in the pocket and some great zips on his throws. Can you imagine how much farther along he would be this season if Meathead kept him in all of last year? Sometimes he short arms the ball, but this can be corrected. Great throw over the middle to Parrish and nice 47 yard gain to Evans on the short slant. He actually had time to throw! After reading the boards all week I was afraid to watch, but was amazed.

2. Josh Reed must go.

Josh, you cannot catch a football. 3 and 7, JP throws you a dart low and you wiffed. I'm sorry but you need to catch on with an Arena team somewhere. The experiment is over.

3. Shaud Williams, please follow Mr. Reed out the door.

Christ Almighty! Why is he fielding punts? My three year old runs faster and has more moves.

4. Our Special teams are still special.

Bobby April has the boys hummin'.

5. Brian Morman is back.

He couldn't punt worth a crap at Carolina. Nice to see him rebound.

6. Koi Simpson the next Bill Simpson?

C'mon old timers! Remember old #45? He would tackle with the best of them! Koi had a great open field tackle on a kickoff. My buddies here who are big Gamecocks fans think the Bills got a steal with him in the 4th round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so far so good.

7. A Train is hitting the holes.

Nice burst of speed on some of his runs. I hope he makes the team and Shaud is selling shoes next week.

8. McGee is back.

After being burnt like day old toast in Carolina, Terrence McGee had a nice game. Sweet breakup of the 3rd pass to Kelly Washington.

Just my thoughts from far away fellow Bills fans. I can't believe we kick it off for real in two weeks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills are keeping Terrence McGee out of return duty in the preseason. They don't want to risk injury and they want to save some wear and tear on him. I think he may be doing it again once the regular season starts. Shaud has pretty good shiftiness, but he doesn't outrun too many people. Same with Jonathon Smith.

I think the Bills are keeping Terrence McGee out of return duty in the preseason.  They don't want to risk injury and they want to save some wear and tear on him.  I think he may be doing it again once the regular season starts.  Shaud has pretty good shiftiness, but he doesn't outrun too many people.  Same with Jonathon Smith.

749764[/snapback]

Without question it will be McGee returning kicks and Parrish returning punts. Jonathan Smith is a pretty good return man, and would probably make this team if it weren't for Parrish. I just don't see how we're going to keep him. I think there is a spot in the NFL for Freddie.

I think the Bills are keeping Terrence McGee out of return duty in the preseason.  They don't want to risk injury and they want to save some wear and tear on him.  I think he may be doing it again once the regular season starts.  Shaud has pretty good shiftiness, but he doesn't outrun too many people.  Same with Jonathon Smith.

749764[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't think there is any advantage to having McGee in there until Sept 10 (unless he wants a couple in the last preseason practice). It is something that can be simulated pretty well in practice, and the rest of the unit can do the exact same schemes with Shaud, even if he runs two gears slower and isn't going to bust it.

My thoughts on the game were that JP looked better than I was expecting after all I'd read and heard. He made some mistakes, and we have to take a little more of the learning process this year since Meathead didn't let him play all last year. But he also made great plays short, medium, and long.

I was impressed with the O-Line in general, but looking at some plays slow in Tivo, Villarial's guy tended to close the hole and make the tackle. Reyes and Fowler looked really mobile and made some good blocks.

The D allowed Chad Johnson (an amazing player) to make some plays, but really played well as a unit, and I think are getting the scheme as a whole and getting the job done. No big plays, and nobody stood out to me, but all around it was solid, and this is still without Spikes. It would be fun to have more flash from Whitner and McCargo, but that will come, and we have to have patience. Bunkley, Ngata, and others haven't impressed me too much in the other games I've seen so far.

I also agree that Reed has to drop on the depth chart. He is always going to be an underachiever because he is not good at catching the ball, and that is a tough thing to pick up this late in a career. Hopefully Price and Aiken can step up, because Josh is a clear disappointment.

The D allowed Chad Johnson (an amazing player) to make some plays, but really played well as a unit, and I think are getting the scheme as a whole and getting the job done.  No big plays, and nobody stood out to me, but all around it was solid, and this is still without Spikes.  It would be fun to have more flash from Whitner and McCargo, but that will come, and we have to have patience.  Bunkley, Ngata, and others haven't impressed me too much in the other games I've seen so far.

749770[/snapback]

I only had time to watch the first half but I too was impressed with the D. They swarmed to the ball and consistantly got penatration on running and passing plays. I think they're going to give up a few 10-15 yard runs per game but other than that I'm pretty impressed with how far they've come in such a short period with a new scheme. They've played well in both pre-season games. I might have to re-think my 5-11 prediction.

5. Brian Morman is back.

He couldn't punt worth a crap at Carolina. Nice to see him rebound.

749729[/snapback]

Are you talking about the Carolina game from last year or this pre-season? Because the game this pre-season he had 6 punts. Two landed inside the 20. One was 64 yards long and his average was 43 yards (only 2 yards les than his average last season) ... am I missing something?

I think he may be doing it again once the regular season starts.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but.........Uhhh yeah, he's the best kick returner in the league! If for some reason he's not returning kicks on Sept. 10th, I will personally drive to Buffalo and kick Jauron and April in the nuts.

Are you talking about the Carolina game from last year or this pre-season? Because the game this pre-season he had 6 punts. Two landed inside the 20. One was 64 yards long and his average was 43 yards (only 2 yards les than his average last season) ... am I missing something?

749794[/snapback]

His first two punts were HORRIBLE, right off the side of his foot.

I think everyone should post there feelings on the game. Lets start 8000 threads with everyones thoughts on the preseason game.

749854[/snapback]

Yeah, how dare people start posts with their opinions on Buffalo Bills football on a (gasp!) Buffalo Bills message board! What on Earth are they thinking?!

Yeah, how dare people start posts with their opinions on Buffalo Bills football on a (gasp!) Buffalo Bills message board!  What on Earth are they thinking?!

749857[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Its not peoples thoughts its the fact that 20 people so far have started this thread and we keep circling the issue. Dont look to much into it guy, lets talk about Cleveland instead of cincy.

My thoughts on the game were that JP looked better than I was expecting after all I'd read and heard.  He made some mistakes, and we have to take a little more of the learning process this year since Meathead didn't let him play all last year.  But he also made great plays short, medium, and long.

749770[/snapback]

As I said before, that is why I like to watch the games. For one, I didn't realize that it was a rainy night in less than ideal conditions. As far as the passes that everyone was crying that he skipped to receivers; on the first misfire on the crossing route it seems as if he was expecting Parrish to run wider across the field and be at a deeper spot but it seems as if he got held up or slipped and the pass was too far wide ahead of Parrish. On the comeback route to Price it seems as if the timing and depth of the route was off; Price did slip coming out of his break. It wasn't as if he didn't have the zip or short armed the throw, it was simply a timing issue. He doesn't seem to have the timing with Price as he has with Lee or even Aiken. I was more concerned with the sacks he took; fumbling compounded the issue. They were the RJ type of sacks but not to the degree that he took them but while he must improve in getting rid of the ball, as long as he doesn't make stupid int's by forcing passes, I'd much rather have a QB who tries to make plays and get 1st down than one who looks to check down to the outlet 80% of the time. Now if he takes 4-5 of those types sacks a game then I'd have an issue but 1-2 without the fumbles I could live with if he is making plays on the times he does hang in the pocket.

lets talk about Cleveland instead of cincy.

749862[/snapback]

Many people (myself included) just saw the cincy game for the first time yesterday so of course they're going to want to talk about it.

As I said before, that is why I like to watch the games. For one, I didn't realize that it was a rainy night in less than ideal conditions. As far as the passes that everyone was crying that he skipped to receivers; on the first misfire on the crossing route it seems as if he was expecting Parrish to run wider across the field and be at a deeper spot but it seems as if he got held up or slipped and the pass was too far wide ahead of Parrish. On the comeback route to Price it seems as if the timing and depth of the route was off; Price did slip coming out of his break. It wasn't as if he didn't have the zip or short armed the throw, it was simply a timing issue. He doesn't seem to have the timing with Price as he has with Lee or even Aiken. I was more concerned with the sacks he took; fumbling compounded the issue. They were the RJ type of sacks but not to the degree that he took them but while he must improve in getting rid of the ball, as long as he doesn't make stupid int's by forcing passes, I'd much rather have a QB who tries to make plays and get 1st down than one who looks to check down to the outlet 80% of the time. Now if he takes 4-5 of those types sacks a game then I'd have an issue but 1-2 without the fumbles I could live with if he is making plays on the times he does hang in the pocket.

749864[/snapback]

Sacks we can live with (see Bledsoe) but he has to protect the ball, rain or shine that has to be priority one. As for his short arm problem the clowns dong the game actually pegged it right by saying that he is overgripping the ball when he sees the open receiver. Thatis something that can be fixed, the kid just has to find a comfort zone and once he does he will be very effective, until he does he will be erratic.