The New Bills Regime

Casey D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1] It's good to have Donohoe gone, especially because the novices that he hired as HC didn't handle the public responsibilities well, which is one of the reasons that new HC's often fail. That, combined with the fuhrer's approach didn't and doesn't sit well with Buffalo and their fans.

2] We knew the point of the post going in. Everyone here knew Marv was a great guy and goodwill ambassador. Even his harshest critics would easily and gladly admit they like him as a man, as a speaker, as a Hall of Famer. Anyone who knew a thing about Dick jauron also knew this going in. I can't recall anyone anywhere saying he was anything but a great guy, player's coach, up front, you know where you stand with him. Not one bit of this has been unexpected.

3] The real refreshing guys IMO have been Fairchild and Fewell. They were the unknowns. I really like the style of play we are seeing so far.

4] Surely, we know nothing of how any single bit of this transfers to the field and the win column. I sincerely doubt that many Bears fans screaming bloody murder for Jauron's head a few years back thought he was a bad guy or turned into a jerk. Good guys only take you so far. In fact, Marv's good guyitis probably cost us a couple Super Bowls.

5] Another thing in all this good guy stuff is that so far, they have practiced what they preached about character. Listening to guys like Robert Royal, Donte Whitner, John McCargo, Kyle Williams, Larry Tripplett, etc., speak, they surely come across as smart, good, high character guys. That could go a long way.

We don't know if they are winners yet. One of TD's main downfalls, perhaps his greatest downfall alongside hiring not ready for prime time coaches, was bringing in a lot of talented players who were not winners.

749111[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

One thing I like is that so far, these guys have kept it simple rather than trying to outhink every situation. From Hamlet:

"There is nothing in this world either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

On the field, that translates to things like not putting your best player on the bench on the most critical down of a series. Thus, Willis will play on third down this year. That sort of thing. Simple. Will it produce more wins? Eventually, yes.

NICE!  I'm an English major..so I appreciate the quote haha.

751319[/snapback]

Along the same lines:

"And thus the native hue of resolution

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought;

And enterprises of great pitch and moment,

With this regard, their currents turn awry,

And lose the name of action..."

Another warning against "overthink". Lets hope our offense will end up deserving to be characterized as an "enterprise of great pitch and moment". :P