Holy cow.....

Garranimal

A QB has to have a lot of trust in a receiver in order to throw a blind out like JP did. After this "miscommunication", I don't see JP having the trust in JR to run that play. Hopefully we won't see that again and I billieve JP learned a big lesson, which is what pre-season is all about.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A QB has to have a lot of trust in a receiver in order to throw a blind out like JP did.  After this "miscommunication", I don't see JP having the trust in JR to run that play.  Hopefully we won't see that again and I billieve JP learned a big lesson, which is what pre-season is all about.

748284[/snapback]

If that's so, Reed must be cut. Why waste a roster spot on an un-trusted wr?

I remember a game later in his career, against the Falcons I think in OP, Jimbo misfired and was picked. Tackled the guy at the sideline and broke the DB's leg. He later said that he was mad at his mistake and was trying to make up for it by making sure it didn't go back for 7. That, ladies and gents, is a football player. Make a mistake, all right, everyone does it; get back in the play and try to do better next time. I see a lot of the same level of spirit in JP. And remember that it was not JP who took himself out last year, it was Meathead who had unrealistic expectations for an essential rookie starter.

747326[/snapback]

I remember that game. I still have it on tape just for that play. He threw that pick in the endzone. The Falcon DB ran it back on the sideline and at around the 25 yard line Jim tackled the guys kneecapp with his helmet. The guys leg flew around like it was only attached by his sock, flip flap flop. It was amazing. Might have to dig that tape out when I get home. I almost remember the guys name too...

I've been reading most of the posts & it seems to me that the only mistake people are making 'possible' excuse for is the INT.

His fumbles have not been defended....he held onto the ball for too long & got sacked.  I have not seen anyone blame the line....or say it wasn't a fumble....or anything like that. 

Have I missed pertinent posts that you are referring to?

The only defense I'd make of his fumbles, actually his 2nd fumble, is that in a real game, I doubt he'd be passing the ball with 30 seconds left in the 1st half and the Bills down by 7. At least I'd hope. :blush:

And I think that the INT was a learning experience for JP. Get 'em in while it doesn't count, I say.

I remember that game.  I still have it on tape just for that play.  He threw that pick in the endzone.  The Falcon DB ran it back on the sideline and at around the 25 yard line Jim tackled the guys kneecapp with his helmet.  The guys leg flew around like it was only attached by his sock, flip flap flop.  It was amazing.  Might have to dig that tape out when I get home.  I almost remember the guys name too...

Anthony Phillips.

The only defense I'd make of his fumbles, actually his 2nd fumble, is that in a real game, I doubt he'd be passing the ball with 30 seconds left in the 1st half and the Bills down by 7.  At least I'd hope. :blush:

And I think that the INT was a learning experience for JP.  Get 'em in while it doesn't count, I say.

748356[/snapback]

Yep. As we fry our players in oil over a low flame, it's useful to consider that the opposition - occasionally - pulls off a good play...

Anthony Phillips.

748358[/snapback]

Who never played another down in the NFL if I remember right. Jimbo ended the guy's career as payback for the INT.

The other thing that went through my mind after that play was that if it had happened against the Dolphins, Phillips would have danced down the sideline for six while Marino stalked past him to the sidelines, bitching at either the ref or the WR (or both)... and Phillips might have parlayed that play into a long NFL career. :blush: That to me was the difference between Jimbo and Danny Boy right there.

I've been reading most of the posts & it seems to me that the only mistake people are making 'possible' excuse for is the INT.

His fumbles have not been defended....he held onto the ball for too long & got sacked.  I have not seen anyone blame the line....or say it wasn't a fumble....or anything like that. 

Have I missed pertinent posts that you are referring to?

748243[/snapback]

Yes, you have. This is not the only thread in which JP has been discussed. Read the others, especially when his performance last year was discussed. It was the line, it was the play calling, it was the coaches not sticking with him and on and on.

...what the heck is wrong with people in buffalo.  I just saw a good number of highlights on the NFL network.  The pick for TD is totally on Reed...what kind of route involves sort of running and stuttering around?  Even the announcers said that reed needs to run a route and make a decision. 

But good god, looking at the other throws they showed of Losman's....damn, that kid can sling the football....and be extremely accurate.  What are you people looking for.....he is going to make mistakes....Jim used to throw at least a dumb pick a game..or so it seemed....so what....he had the skills and clearly...so does JP.

Support our team, stop the Craig Nall nonsense and get on board.  I don't hear anyone suggesting we should bench Willis for his gaff?  Why is that?  it resulted in a touchdown....if he does that every game....as you are assuming JP will do, should he get the hook? 

They are both number 1 picks....they deserve to be given the chances...uh chances....to succeed.

You guys are amazing......watch the plays....watch it like it is a practice game.....don't look at this like it is exemplary of what a regular game would look like.

747313[/snapback]

PREACH IT BABY!

IF he was supposed to be going inside. We don't know that. Surely, Reed was not supposed to do what he did. There is no play call other than the fumblerooskie to run out and stop and look confused.

It seems that there is little doubt they both screwed up but also seems little doubt that it didn't matter what Reed did, JP blew the read and threw an ill-advised pass. The best thing about Jauron to me is his clarity on what he is thinking, up to a point. You can tell from his press conference he really doesn't blame Losman for that play, because the team didn't prepare him for that, even though it was Losman's fault. But he does clearly blame JP on the fumbles.

747777[/snapback]

We just don't know. The replay I saw which showed Reed stutter stepping did not have JP in the same frame. As such I couldn't tell if Reed started that stutter step when he realized where JP was going with the ball. I think the "stop and look confused" thing might have happened in reaction to JP's mistake, not what precipitated that mistake. I guess this will remain forever a mystery.

We just don't know.  The replay I saw which showed Reed stutter stepping did not have JP in the same frame.  As such I couldn't tell if Reed started that stutter step when he realized where JP was going with the ball.  I think the "stop and look confused" thing might have happened in reaction to JP's mistake, not what precipitated that mistake.  I guess this will remain forever a mystery.

751593[/snapback]

I think its kind of hard to be confused about where JP was going with the ball when Reed had his back to the QB and didnt know if he was supposed to go in or out....

Lets just say I saw it differently than you did....

JP definetly screwed up though by trying to go to Reed in ANY situation. I wish we would cut this guy and be done with him already....