Preseason 101

mary owen

I can't figure out why so many here got so concerned last week (and now after this game) about mistakes/bad plays.

This is the preseason......you WANT to have your team's mistakes occur during these games! That gives the coaching staff something to work on!

If your second and third stringers beat up on another teams 2 & 3, you virtually learn nothing. Sure you get an idea of who's climbing up the depth chart, but you can achieve more when they show weaknesses. It's all a part of evaluating and adjusting.

Wouldn't you like to find out who needs to improve their blitz pick up NOW rather than against the Pats???

Seems like some here are so hungry for preseason greatness that they are willing to sacrifice regular season progress.....

So relax, please. We are still tied for the division lead at 0-0.

I think that last year there was no excuse for the way things went down...place the blame on whomever you wish (I still blame Drew), but last season was an embarrassment.

THIS season, however, I think some of you negative nancies need to have a little more perspective. We have a new GM, new coach, new coordinators, new schemes, new players, etc, etc, etc. They deserve their fair shot to get this team turned around. Getting all up in arms over two preseason games is kind of silly, IMO.

As for JP, as someone else pointed out (I think it was Kelly), he doesn't have a history of fumbling issues. But that aside, he's still a young, inexperienced QB. He's going to make mistakes. But the reason that some of us are becoming more optimstic is the fact that he's showing growth from last year, overcoming his mistakes, and making plays.

I understand that it's been seven long years since we had a team worthy of the playoffs....I know we're all frustrated....I get that. But I think we still need to have some perspective and support these guys while they try and right the ship. I, for one, think we have seen a lot more positive so far this preseason than negative.

I'm all for that but you seem to forget that mistakes were the norm the past 2 years right after the preseason.  We can't get ourselves out those holes again and expect to have a winning season.

747520[/snapback]

Remember those Super Bowl years? Our preseason record was 3-45.

Relax.

So you're going to hire Oliver Stone to direct the movie version? <_<

747577[/snapback]

I don't think anyone would want to see a movie about Bledsoe....no way. I say we make one about Crab Man, though!!!

And you sir, are insane. Funny as hell, but insane.

747718[/snapback]

<_<

come on, Bill....you're dying to blame one of our short, undersized receivers :blink:

I can't figure out why so many here got so concerned last week (and now after this game) about mistakes/bad plays.

This is the preseason......you WANT to have your team's mistakes occur during these games! That gives the coaching staff something to work on!

You got that right, my friend. I remember the year I moved to Albany and first had to deal with Jets fans. I'll never forget it... The Bills went 0-6 in pre-season and the Jets went 6-0. No joke , the Bills opened that REGULAR season 5-0, and the Jets? The monsters of that pre-season? They were 0-5 going into Week Six. Me & Harv had some fun with that one, man. Anyone who gets remotely excited about pre-season games should be strapped to a chair and shown endless highlite reel loops of the '91 Jets ...

Anyone who gets remotely excited about pre-season games should be strapped to a chair and shown endless highlite reel loops of the '91 Jets ...

747821[/snapback]

I totally agree....and it happens EVERY FRICKIN YEAR, but people seem to always forget. What teams do in the preseason has little or no bearing on what happens come week 1. Every year there are teams that either crap the bed or light it up in August, only to do the exact opposite in September. I don't understand why people who have followed this game for a while now still don't understand this <_<

Remember those Super Bowl years? Our preseason record was 3-45.

Relax.

747538[/snapback]

If you remember right our first stringers would come out and march down the field and score. They would blow the other team off the line and dominate the line of scrimmage. The score means nothing we understand that but when your 1st stringers look like sh-- it's a different story.

I think the preseason is a pretty good indicator of what your team is going to do in the regular season. The final score in preseason means nothing but the quality of the play on the field from your 1st stringers should tell you something of what you have for talent.

Positions are won and lost during the preseason it obviously means something. <_<

The final score in preseason means nothing but the quality of the play on the field from your 1st stringers should tell you something of what you have for talent.

Positions are won and lost during the preseason it obviously means something.  <_<

747828[/snapback]

Yeah, and we saw Willis busting out for a 61-yard TD run, Evans running across the middle for a 47-yard gain, and JP throwing a nice 40-yard bomb to Evans for a TD. I think that's a pretty good indicator that we have talent on this team, don't you?

Yeah, and we saw Willis busting out for a 61-yard TD run, Evans running across the middle for a 47-yard gain, and JP throwing a nice 40-yard bomb to Evans for a TD. I think that's a pretty good indicator that we have talent on this team, don't you?

747831[/snapback]

Yes I agree. Let's hope they can pull it together instead of the bone head plays.

Yes I agree. Let's hope they can pull it together instead of the bone head plays.

747866[/snapback]

What? What do you mean you agree? I said something positive....you're supposed to come back with something about the ways we suck....you're slipping, Frez <_<