AFC East without some familiar faces

It will be strange not to see these guys in the division this year:

Willie McGinnest (now with Cleveland) played with the Pats since '94

Ty Law (now with KC) played with the Pats & Jets since '95

Curtis Martin (injured) played with the Pats & Jets since '95

Adam Vinatieri (now with Indy) played with Pats since '96

Eric Moulds (now with Houston) played with the Bills since '96

Sam Madison (now of the NYG) played with the Dolphins since '97, this would've been his 10th year in the division.

Overall, a very talented, classy group.

Didn't realize Martin was hurt that bad.

Who are Cryami's starting CB's now anyway?

I hope I'm wrong but I think the impact of McGinest leaving is overstated. I mean who were Roman Phifer and Mike Vrabel before they played for NE? Remember when they signed Colvin (who was supposed to be their Spikes), he got hurt the 1st game and they didn't miss a beat - BB always finds a way to get LB production.

Didn't realize Martin was hurt that bad. 

Who are Cryami's starting CB's now anyway? 

I hope I'm wrong but I think the impact of McGinest leaving is overstated.  I mean who were Roman Phifer and Mike Vrabel before they played for NE?  BB always finds a way to get LB production.

743506[/snapback]

yeah belichick is smarter then everyone else ad nausem :(

Roman Phifer managed a 15 year career in the nfl and was a pretty decent lb for the rams and jets before going to ne in 01 on the downside of his career, with his better years far behind him. Mike Vrabel a former steeler didnt work out in pitt. I dont overstate the loss of older players, but unless Colvin is fully recovered from his hip injury they will miss McGinest abilty to rush the qb. I'm not saying Belichick isn't a good coach but I'm not exactaly fearing a lb core of mike vrabel/tedy bruschi/ monty f'n beisel and roosevelt colvin. What makes the patriots defense go is the best defensive linemen in the nfl #93 richard seymour.

Miami's starting secondary for now is. Will Allen/Travis Daniels at corner travares tillman at ss and Renaldo Hill at fs although I assume jason allen will beat him out for that.

yeah belichick is smarter then everyone else ad nausem :(

Roman Phifer managed a 15 year career in the nfl and was a pretty decent lb for the rams and jets before going to ne in 01 on the downside of his career, with his better years far behind him.  Mike Vrabel a former steeler didnt work out in pitt.  I dont overstate the loss of older players, but unless Colvin is fully recovered from his hip injury they will miss McGinest abilty to rush the qb.  I'm not saying Belichick isn't a good coach but I'm not exactaly fearing a lb core of mike vrabel/tedy bruschi/ monty f'n beisel and roosevelt colvin.  What makes the patriots defense go is the best defensive linemen in the nfl #93 richard seymour.

Miami's starting secondary for now is. Will Allen/Travis Daniels at corner travares tillman at ss and Renaldo Hill at fs although I assume jason allen will beat him out for that.

743511[/snapback]

OK I firmly believe NE is the most underrated team in the league, there I said it. All I keep hearing is "OMG they lost McGinest", "watch out for Miami" and somehow they're not in the same league as Indy/Pittsburgh anymore after they suffered 5,000 injuries in their secondary the last two years and finished the season strong still. If Denver doesn't get a couple fluke bounces in that playoff game they win the SB again last year (yes I know NE was looooooong overdue for some bad luck/calls but still I'm talking about strictly last year). So go ahead and flame. :ph34r:

OK I firmly believe NE is the most underrated team in the league, there I said it.  All I keep hearing is "OMG they lost McGinest", "watch out for Miami" and somehow they're not in the same league as Indy/Pittsburgh anymore after they suffered 5,000 injuries in their secondary the last two years and finished the season strong still.  If Denver doesn't get a couple fluke bounces in that playoff game they win the SB again last year (yes I know NE was looooooong overdue for some bad luck/calls but still I'm talking about strictly last year).  So go ahead and flame.  :(

743515[/snapback]

Without calls from the Refs "the tuck rule, ......" & Adam Vinateri The Pats would have been also rans.

Sam Madison (now of the NYG) played with the Dolphins since '97, this would've been his 10th year in the division.

743236[/snapback]

You forgot Lawyer Milloy and Kevin Mawae.

Alot of probowls in this group.

743236[/snapback]

Jets acquired the off-injured rb Lee Suggs yesterday.

You forgot Lawyer Milloy and Kevin Mawae.

Alot of probowls in this group.

743559[/snapback]

I knew I left out somebody! Can't believe I forgot Milloy. Didn't forget Mawae- he made his name with the Jets but he started with Seattle and didn't play 10 years in the AFC East. Milloy certainly did, though.

OK I firmly believe NE is the most underrated team in the league, there I said it.  All I keep hearing is "OMG they lost McGinest", "watch out for Miami" and somehow they're not in the same league as Indy/Pittsburgh anymore after they suffered 5,000 injuries in their secondary the last two years and finished the season strong still.  If Denver doesn't get a couple fluke bounces in that playoff game they win the SB again last year (yes I know NE was looooooong overdue for some bad luck/calls but still I'm talking about strictly last year).  So go ahead and flame.  :blush:

743515[/snapback]

They've been losing players/coaches for the past few years, and sometime its going to finally catch up with them.

Players they lost this year:

Tom Ashworth, T (SEA); Matt Chatham, LB (NYJ); Andre' Davis, WR (BUF); Tim Dwight, WR (NYJ); Christian Fauria, TE (WAS); David Givens, WR (TEN); Willie McGinest, LB (CLE); Adam Vinatieri, K (IND)

Players they resigned or signed:

Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Heath Evans, Martin Gramatica, Tebucky Jones, Steve Neal, Chad Scott.

Not to mention losing another coordinator on the defense, and not being willing to pay Deion Branch.

We're starting to see some question marks develop on this Patriots team.

They love to pass, but who is going to catch the ball?

They have a great O-line to run, but who is actually going to run the ball?

Can Monty Beisel be a viable starting linebacker?

Can Rosevelt Colvin come back to his old form?

Who is going to be the 2nd corner?

Can Gramatica actually not be a nutcase?

How will the coordinators perform?

Granted, its nowhere near the questions that the bad teams have in the NFL. However, my point is that they aren't the top of the league any longer either. Playoff team? Without a doubt competing for the AFC East, and at this point they have the lead.

However, they have a lot more question marks then a Cincinnati (who is just wondering if Carson Palmer can get back), Pittsburgh (FS, WR #2), and Carolina (Question mark? Where?).

They've been losing players/coaches for the past few years, and sometime its going to finally catch up with them.

Players they lost this year:

Tom Ashworth, T (SEA); Matt Chatham, LB (NYJ); Andre' Davis, WR (BUF); Tim Dwight, WR (NYJ); Christian Fauria, TE (WAS); David Givens, WR (TEN); Willie McGinest, LB (CLE); Adam Vinatieri, K (IND)

Players they resigned or signed:

Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Heath Evans, Martin Gramatica, Tebucky Jones, Steve Neal, Chad Scott.

Not to mention losing another coordinator on the defense, and not being willing to pay Deion Branch.

We're starting to see some question marks develop on this Patriots team.

They love to pass, but who is going to catch the ball?

They have a great O-line to run, but who is actually going to run the ball?

Can Monty Beisel be a viable starting linebacker?

Can Rosevelt Colvin come back to his old form?

Who is going to be the 2nd corner?

Can Gramatica actually not be a nutcase?

How will the coordinators perform?

Granted, its nowhere near the questions that the bad teams have in the NFL.  However, my point is that they aren't the top of the league any longer either.  Playoff team?  Without a doubt competing for the AFC East, and at this point they have the lead.

However, they have a lot more question marks then a Cincinnati (who is just wondering if Carson Palmer can get back), Pittsburgh (FS, WR #2), and Carolina (Question mark?  Where?).

743998[/snapback]

Chatham/Davis/Dwight/Fauria/Givens........yawn.

Vinatieri might've made the best kick ever in the Oakland game - otherwise he's going to the HOF because he made some kicks in domes when his team wasn't even behind and there was no pressure of losing the game with a miss (not that this doesn't make him better than Vanderchoke but he wasn't worth the $ IMO).

I'll take the Pats defense over the Bengals any day twice on Sunday and three times if the game is important.