FBI Issues Alert for 11 Missing Egyptian Men

Tux of Borg

It took 2+ weeks, but we got'em!

2 Egyptian no-shows located here

BY MARK BOWES

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Monday, August 14, 2006

LOCAL NEWS: Chesterfield County

Chesterfield County police developed the information that led to the arrests of the last two Egyptian exchange students who failed to show up for their college program in Montana.

Mohamed Saleh Ahmed Maray, 20, and Mohamed Ibrahim Fouaad El Shenawy, 17, were arrested without incident Sunday afternoon in the Forest Ridge Apartment complex off Forest Hill Avenue in South Richmond, said Chesterfield police Capt. Karl Leonard.

The apartment complex is across Forest Hill Avenue from the Stratford Hills Shopping Center.

"They were just sitting outside," Leonard said. "I don't know how long they had been in the area, or what they were doing in the area. But that's where we found them."

The men were the last of 11 Egyptian exchange students to be apprehended. The students were to attend a monthslong program at Montana State University in Bozeman. A group of 17 students had arrived in New York on July 29. Six reported to Bozeman on time.

After Montana State repeatedly tried to contact the missing students, it notified federal Homeland Security officials and registered the Egyptians as no-shows in a system to track foreign students developed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

None of the students is considered a terrorism risk.

Leonard said Chesterfield police received information on Saturday that the last two missing students were believed to have been seen walking on Midlothian Turnpike (U.S. 60).

Police distributed pictures and information about the students to street officers, who contacted merchants along Route 60, "trying to see if anybody had seen them," Leonard said.

Then, about 2:30 p.m. Sunday, police received a call that gave investigators "a pretty good indication that the people [the caller] saw were in fact these students."

Police began to canvass areas where investigators thought they might be, Leonard said.

Officers then went to the South Richmond apartment complex and spotted the students outside. Chesterfield summoned Richmond police, and the students were taken into custody without incident.

Chesterfield authorities turned them over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

Last Wednesday, one of the 11 Egyptian students was arrested in Minneapolis and two were detained in Manville, N.J. On Thursday, two were arrested in Dundalk, Md., and one was arrested at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. Three more were arrested Friday in Des Moines, Iowa.

It took 2+ weeks, but we got'em!

2 Egyptian no-shows located here

BY MARK BOWES

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Monday, August 14, 2006

LOCAL NEWS: Chesterfield County

Chesterfield County police developed the information that led to the arrests of the last two Egyptian exchange students who failed to show up for their college program in Montana.

Mohamed Saleh Ahmed Maray, 20, and Mohamed Ibrahim Fouaad El Shenawy, 17, were arrested without incident Sunday afternoon in the Forest Ridge Apartment complex off Forest Hill Avenue in South Richmond, said Chesterfield police Capt. Karl Leonard.

The apartment complex is across Forest Hill Avenue from the Stratford Hills Shopping Center.

"They were just sitting outside," Leonard said. "I don't know how long they had been in the area, or what they were doing in the area. But that's where we found them."

The men were the last of 11 Egyptian exchange students to be apprehended. The students were to attend a monthslong program at Montana State University in Bozeman. A group of 17 students had arrived in New York on July 29. Six reported to Bozeman on time.

After Montana State repeatedly tried to contact the missing students, it notified federal Homeland Security officials and registered the Egyptians as no-shows in a system to track foreign students developed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

None of the students is considered a terrorism risk.

Leonard said Chesterfield police received information on Saturday that the last two missing students were believed to have been seen walking on Midlothian Turnpike (U.S. 60).

Police distributed pictures and information about the students to street officers, who contacted merchants along Route 60, "trying to see if anybody had seen them," Leonard said.

Then, about 2:30 p.m. Sunday, police received a call that gave investigators "a pretty good indication that the people [the caller] saw were in fact these students."

Police began to canvass areas where investigators thought they might be, Leonard said.

Officers then went to the South Richmond apartment complex and spotted the students outside. Chesterfield summoned Richmond police, and the students were taken into custody without incident.

Chesterfield authorities turned them over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

Last Wednesday, one of the 11 Egyptian students was arrested in Minneapolis and two were detained in Manville, N.J. On Thursday, two were arrested in Dundalk, Md., and one was arrested at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. Three more were arrested Friday in Des Moines, Iowa.

743265[/snapback]

Were they arrested for anything other than being Muslim?

Were they arrested for anything other than being Muslim?

743435[/snapback]

Not showing up for class is enough to arrest them I believe.

Do you need another reason?  Kids bodies or their parents?  Wouldn't your own kids miss you if you died prematurely?

743443[/snapback]

:(

Oh, so they were in the country illegally.

And yet, when's the last time you saw a Hispanic get arrested for being in the country illegally?

Again...any reason other than their being Muslim?

743489[/snapback]

I'd say what I want to say, but Simon might increase my warning level. :(

Hmmmmm....Today I posted ONE post in ppp in the bumper sticker thread, my post was a typed statement and a link about cheney at the nationals baseball game, within 30 seconds of posting the link it was deleted, I reposted and again it was deleted and a pm was sent my way saying ''ENOUGH'' that was it no explanation as to why I am not able to post in the bumpersticker thread..

I have my suspicions as to why 2nd ammendment rights are granted to some on ppp....Maybe I'm wrong and someone can explain why My one post gets deleted and a pm sent with the explanation ''enough''....Don't want to ruffle feathers, just would like to know without being suspended again....

743518[/snapback]

Hoo sent it?

And yet, when's the last time you saw a Hispanic get arrested for being in the country illegally?

743489[/snapback]

Actually they were in the country legally on student visas to go to school at that University on an exchange program.

They didn't show up to class after ariving in the country so they violated the conditions of the student visa's they were in the country on. That is why they were wanted.

Actually they were in the country legally on student visas to go to school at that University on an exchange program.

They didn't show up to class after ariving in the country so they violated the conditions of the student visa's they were in the country on. That is why they were wanted.

743628[/snapback]

Yes...once they violated the conditions of their visas, they were here illegally.

And again...if they were Hispanic, not only would they not be prosecuted, the ACLU and "undocumented immigrants" rights groups would be up in arms defending them. But since they're dirty, nasty, evil rag-heads, they're arrested for it.

they were in the country leagally on their student visas on a trip to montana st. univ.

743489[/snapback]

if you want us to say yes we will, the scope of hispanics here illegally is far more than 11, and with the way the world is today and how arabs and muslims are percieved, then yes they were simply arrested because they are muslims

Yes...once they violated the conditions of their visas, they were here illegally.

And again...if they were Hispanic, not only would they not be prosecuted, the ACLU and "undocumented immigrants" rights groups would be up in arms defending them.  But since they're dirty, nasty, evil rag-heads, they're arrested for it.

743688[/snapback]

It could also be that the hispanics have been entering the country illegally and the US has no records of them coming into the country so they have no way of identifying that a certain person crossed over and is now an illegal in the country.

This group of 11 eygiptians came over with student visas to go to school (i.e. entered the country legally and had proof they were coming into the country) and then they mysteriously disapeared after not showing up to school (what they supposedly came over for)

That would be something that should arise some suspicion from the government. It doesn't matter if they were Muslim, European, or Asian, they all came in legally and disapeared after not showing up for what they came over for. I think it is just a coincidence that they were from that area of the world. I'm sure if a hispanic entered the country legally and the same thing happened they would also be wanted for not showing up to what they were supposed to and going to.