Starting To Really Think We Have No QB

I would just like to point out that Mike Vick, Daunte Culpepper, Payton Manning, little brother Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Brett Farve...and on and on and on....

Are probably ALL making an inaccurate throw here or there in training camp....

Just like to point that out.....

OK....back to the regularly scheduled program of "Our QB's SUCK"

734577[/snapback]

Bledsoe and Owens Struggle

Here a 12 year veteran QB and a 9 year veteran RB can't even get on the

same page....

Plamer sat one year, started the next and played well his first year starting and played very well last year, his third year in the league and his second as the starter.  No one is suggesting that JP had to make it to the pro bowl his first or second years or even this year.  I do think however that he has to have a good year this year and show marked improvement as compared to last year.  By asking that, we are asking no more from him than was asked of Palmer.

Really, if JP finishes this year with the same level of performance as he did last year, I guarantee that we will all be advocating that Marv consider another option or at least have a "plan B".

734554[/snapback]

Yeah but straw-man arguments are more fun if you're a JP fanboy. Super Bowl or bust! <_<

If we stick with him and he flops then it will play into our rebuilding for future years by supplying another high draft pick next year.  If he turns it around by the end of the year, we're also in decent shape for next year.  The only way we shoot ourselves is by not finding out if JP is going to emerge, or by making him the starter when he's clearly inferior, thus losing the confidence and committment of the rest of the team.

734582[/snapback]

That last part really makes sense. If he really playing that bad, I mean really bad, I don't see how you can keep him in and still avoid a mutiny in the locker room. What would be the point anyway? Draft position?

Losman has had some good practices at camp and some not so good practices.  I think it's too early to give up on him.  If he can't do mit, I'm afraid Buffalo really doesn't have an adequate Plan B though.

734586[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we give up on him. Just that he needs to improve markedly this year and if he doesn't, we have find a plan B in case this doesn't ever work out. I agree, we really don't have one now.

You mean in '04? When in his first 9 games starting Palmer tossed 7 TD's and 12 INT's? And a lot of bengal fans were screaming for his head because they had kitna.

But they smartly stuck with him for A FULL SEASON (he missed the last 3 games due to injury), and in his final 4 games started, palmer tossed 11 TD's and 6 INT's to finish with a respectable 18TD - 18INT.

Sounds a bit like JP, huh? Terrible first 4 games, and a much improved final 4 games. Maybe we need to see what hes got over a FULL SEASON, not just the random game here or there.

734562[/snapback]

Point well taken. Kitna had a fine '04 season...Comeback Player of the Year IIRC. It was a b*llsy move for the B'gals to sit him down, but the contract pressure of getting a #1 pick into the game was there. Like JP, you spend the $$$ on a high qb pick, you put him in. Yes, I see the exceptions of Rivers in SD and Rodgers in GB.

Check back on my posts - I was in favor of starting him after year one.

We all know dumping him mid 2005 wasn't the best idea. Even with an iffy supporting cast.

I want to see him get the practice snaps, the pre-season snaps. A qb these days needs to be in tune with the skill players and hopefully it becomes learned habit.

Witness Kitna after Palmer went down against PGH. He had all the time in the world, but completed most of his passes to his 2nd string buddy, Kevin Walter. Who he worked with in the 2nd string practices. He was called to duty in an offense very much tailored for Palmer's accuracy and arm strength, and had to deal with the usual OC garbage, eschewing a succesful run game. <_<

I dislike qb controversies, and question any management who doesn't have confidence after studying the "book" on a kid that has played ball most of his life. They oughta know...

Since the offense initiates the play, decent playcalling can help out this young QB. As well as helping out an iffy OL. On defense, you react.

We need to name a starter and get on with business.