Anyword on the full pad session today?

They had their pads but I didn't see or hear any hard hits. Nobody was trying to kill anyone else that I could see. Holcomb and JP shared QB duties. JP, as usually, looked better on all drills up to and including 7 on 7s. In the 11 on 11's it was very even except JP threw two consecutive inexplicable wormburners in one series.

About a third of the pass plays are swings to the outside. McGahee appears more elusive this season. His running plays have looked very effective. He is going out on all sorts of pass plays. J P completed a 15 yarder crossing to sideline pattern. I had to look twice to comprehend that the pass receiver was #21.

Parrish had a catch on sideline at line of scrimmage where he faked the db and went for a quick 12 yards. J P connected for 50 yard in the air strike to Evans in the 7s.

Price is catching balls but most over the middle or short sideliners. I don't see the old speed. Wilson has caught everything. Aiken looked good on several plays today. I don't think WRs are going to be a problem.

Final impression. Mcgahee is going to be used on all sorts of passes this season, and you know what? He hasn't missed a pass yet in camp.

Price is catching balls but most over the middle or short sideliners.  I don't see the old speed.  Wilson has caught everything.  Aiken looked good on several plays today.  I don't think WRs are going to be a problem.

732279[/snapback]

George Wilson caught everything thrown his way last camp also......Keep it up George.

Final impression.  Mcgahee is going to be used on all sorts of passes this season, and you know what?  He hasn't missed a pass yet in camp.

732279[/snapback]

To me, that is good news. IMHO- one of the keys to the early 90's teams success was Thurmans ability to catch the ball. Having the flexibility to line TT up as a WR created HUGE matchup problems for the opposition. If McGahee can catch and be moved around, then we have match-up advantages. I cant wait to see if Fairchild can turn WM into any facsimile of TT or Marshall Faulk.

Bad Things, man. Bad Things.

Two things I want to see more of this year....

Maghee being used on 3rd down situations so as not to tip off the defense

and

More passes to the Tight Ends........

732298[/snapback]

I didnt realize that this little known fact until Saturday- Pete Metzelars lead the '93 team in reception? I would have never guessed that.

I would say that we need a big year from the TE position as well...

I didnt realize that this little known fact until Saturday- Pete Metzelars lead the '93 team in reception? I would have never guessed that.

I would say that we need a big year from the TE position as well...

732303[/snapback]

Was that the year Reed tore his hamstring?

It's pretty much a given that WR's look good in camp. I think there is very good talent here, but it remains to be seen if it will translate to positive offense in real games. The last couple years, it has been easy for defenses to disrupt and muscle our WR's on obvious passing downs.

Willis catching balls is great, clearly. I have no idea why he hasn't been used more before now. I also think it's important for Aiken to finally emerge as a consistent contributor, as he has more potential as a physical receiver than Evans or Parrish.

Camp notes from today - Monday, July 31st:

McGahee - although he looked good while running plays - was exesively exhausted and drained after each play in his rotation. One time it looked like he almost fell over taking a knee. His facial expression showed pain and fatigue badly. He was taking lots of water and seemed to miss some reps because of his "state." At the end of practice, he was one of four players that the coaches had running "sprints". Willis looks thinner - but he certainly doesn't look in "wind" shape at all.

The other thing of note is that they are using Parrish as a wide-out ALOT... either going deep or slanting over the middle. I guess they feel he gets too lost to the QB when bunched in the slot routes.

Reed was at the second WR spot and Price was coming in as the slot receiver in most 1st string settings. WR has some SERIOUS competition... even that free agent Denney (wearing 14) looks good. Thing is, the OL was having quite a time containing the pass rush.

Misc.: Moorman's punts were fantastic on natural turf field. Sam Aiken made two nice sideline grabs. Robert Royal was motioned out to flanker twice. Lionel Gates looked VERY quick to the hole in running drills - enough to stand out from the RB crowd.

It was freakin hot out there!

and

732298[/snapback]

really? you don't think we should be giving him a breather on 3rd downs? certainly you don't want him in there on 3rd downs with the game on the line do you?

Camp notes from today - Monday, July 31st:

McGahee - although he looked good while running plays - was exesively exhausted and drained after each play in his rotation.  One time it looked like he almost fell over taking a knee.  His facial expression showed pain and fatigue badly.  He was taking lots of water and seemed to miss some reps because of his "state."  At the end of practice, he was one of four players that the coaches had running "sprints".  Willis looks thinner - but he certainly doesn't look in "wind" shape at all.

The other thing of note is that they are using Parrish as a wide-out ALOT... either going deep or slanting over the middle. I guess they feel he gets too lost to the QB when bunched in the slot routes.

Reed was at the second WR spot and Price was coming in as the slot receiver in most 1st string settings.  WR has some SERIOUS competition... even that free agent Denney (wearing 14) looks good.  Thing is, the OL was having quite a time containing the pass rush.

Misc.:  Moorman's punts were fantastic on natural turf field.  Sam Aiken made two nice sideline grabs.  Robert Royal was motioned out to flanker twice. Lionel Gates looked VERY quick to the hole in running drills - enough to stand out from the RB crowd.

It was freakin hot out there!

732323[/snapback]

El Marko....thanks for the info..a question:

- You said the line was having trouble with the pass rush...was the rush coming from the inside or the outside.....how was Tripplett/McCargo/Tiny Tim looking? Kelsay?

They had their pads but I didn't see or hear any hard hits.  Nobody was trying to kill anyone else that I could see.  Holcomb and JP shared QB duties.  JP, as usually, looked better on all drills up to and including 7 on 7s.  In the 11 on 11's it was very even except JP threw two consecutive inexplicable wormburners in one series.

About a third of the pass plays are swings to the outside. McGahee appears more elusive this season.  His running plays have looked very effective.  He is going out on all sorts of pass plays.  J P completed a 15 yarder crossing to sideline pattern. I had to look twice to comprehend that the pass receiver was #21.

Parrish had a catch on sideline at line of scrimmage where he faked the db and went for a quick 12 yards.  J P connected for 50 yard in the air strike to Evans in the 7s.

Price is catching balls but most over the middle or short sideliners.  I don't see the old speed.  Wilson has caught everything.  Aiken looked good on several plays today.  I don't think WRs are going to be a problem.

Final impression.  Mcgahee is going to be used on all sorts of passes this season, and you know what?  He hasn't missed a pass yet in camp.

732279[/snapback]

Better wormburners than floaters.

732298[/snapback]

I think if you want to root for more TE involvement then you better get used to rooting for him throwing good blocks. From what I hear of things at OBD, we are looking for Royal to be more of a 6th OL player than to be used as Tony Gonzales.

Given some of the OL issues last year this makes some sense.

Likely it will be the redzone where you see more use of the TE as a receiver as Royal had a very good year catching TDs in 04. He did set a personal record for total receptions last year, but this was for a paltry 18. If you want catches at TE root for Everett to win a job on 3rd downs or challenge Royal as starter (unlikely though IMHO).

and

732298[/snapback]

A lot of the 7 on 7s featured 2 TEs. Royal (84) seems be be getting a bunch more action than Everett. He's having a standout camp.