Buffalo or Rochester

billsfanone

Sorry, I am from Rochester and I do pick Rochester as my answer to this post, but there is no way Farmington, Victor and Canandaigua can support something that big. The problem with Exit 44 is that there is little else around it. OK, Eastview Mall is one exit away, but I am pretty sure that is sucking in every penny there is to be spent in the area.

The developer looking to do this must have never heard of Roseland Park.

729833[/snapback]

If it truly is indoor, it would be one-of-a-kind for the area and year-round rather than 3-4 months a year like Roseland/Seabreeze. I've heard that Erie PA has a similar property.

Sorry, I am from Rochester and I do pick Rochester as my answer to this post, but there is no way Farmington, Victor and Canandaigua can support something that big. The problem with Exit 44 is that there is little else around it. OK, Eastview Mall is one exit away, but I am pretty sure that is sucking in every penny there is to be spent in the area.

The developer looking to do this must have never heard of Roseland Park.

729833[/snapback]

It is right next to the Racino (finger lakes gaming and racetrack). Last time I checked, they do pretty good business there! It is a 20 minute drive from the city. The developers turned down Henrietta as a location for a reason.

If it truly is indoor, it would be one-of-a-kind for the area and year-round rather than 3-4 months a year like Roseland/Seabreeze.  I've heard that Erie PA has a similar property.

729844[/snapback]

I hear 'ya, Jay. But I just don't think going to an indoor water park is what Western and Central New Yorkers are looking for in the dead of winter. Hell, a lot of us are pale as Casper and out of shape for those 8-9 months of gloom each year. Who wants to get in a bathing suit then?

It is right next to the Racino (finger lakes gaming and racetrack).  Last time I checked, they do pretty good business there!  It is a 20 minute drive from the city.  The developers turned down Henrietta as a location for a reason.

729845[/snapback]

Yes, the "Racino" is doing well, but have you been there? The crowd pumping in quarters does not include a whole lot of the types looking to go down water slides, etc.

That exit is a prime locale for a big truck stop, not a high-end amusement attraction. I am all for growth in that area, but I just don't think this is the right choice.

Anyone remember FunScape next to the Regal Cinemas theater at Eastview Mall? That is less than 10 miles away. It was an indoor amusement park with mini-golf, smaller rides, laser tag, virtual reality systems, other games, a huge modern jungle-gym, a food court, etc. It went belly-up after four years, and it only lasted that long because the theater attracted people to the building. There will be no theater this time, so there will have to be a lot of pricey advertising to get people to come out, plus it is not a quick ride from places such as Greece, Webster and some of the more affluent Rochester suburbs.

I wish anyone putting money into the area the absolute best, and I will do my part to support it, but I just doubt it will be a long-term success.

I wish anyone putting money into the area the absolute best, and I will do my part to support it, but I just doubt it will be a long-term success.

730628[/snapback]

My theory, as long as no public money is being put into it (see fast ferry) I'm all for it. I will however support tax breaks for someone who wants to come in and take a risk on the area, and this would be a huge risk.

I hear 'ya, Jay. But I just don't think going to an indoor water park is what Western and Central New Yorkers are looking for in the dead of winter. Hell, a lot of us are pale as Casper and out of shape for those 8-9 months of gloom each year. Who wants to get in a bathing suit then?

Yes, the "Racino" is doing well, but have you been there? The crowd pumping in quarters does not include a whole lot of the types looking to go down water slides, etc.

That exit is a prime locale for a big truck stop, not a high-end amusement attraction. I am all for growth in that area, but I just don't think this is the right choice.

Anyone remember FunScape next to the Regal Cinemas theater at Eastview Mall? That is less than 10 miles away. It was an indoor amusement park with mini-golf, smaller rides, laser tag, virtual reality systems, other games, a huge modern jungle-gym, a food court, etc. It went belly-up after four years, and it only lasted that long because the theater attracted people to the building. There will be no theater this time, so there will have to be a lot of pricey advertising to get people to come out, plus it is not a quick ride from places such as Greece, Webster and some of the more affluent Rochester suburbs.

730628[/snapback]

I hope you are wrong, but it is certainly not unheard of for something like this to struggle. This is going up about a mile from my house. There is a ton of expansion and it is a very family oriented area. Hopefully the owners did their research and have a good plan. It certainly sounds unique.

After disliking Rochester while I was in my 20s, it really dawned on my how damn nice rochester is once I matured. I'm in my 30s now.

If you judge a city by its bars, you may be overlooking other things. Anyone who doesn't like Rochester because the bars are only open until 2:00 is taking a narrow view of things. There are LOTS of things to do in Rochester, and I really love the city. I work with two people my age who decided to move here to buy a house and raise a family. Yes, in WNY you can actually afford to own a house.

The schools here are phenominal. Brighton, Pittsford and Irondequoit all rank in the top 30 in the entire US. The colleges are wonderful. The close proximity to the finger lakes is awesome. The golf (I'm an addict), both public and private, is some of the best in the north east, not to mention that it's affordable here.

Culturally, Rochester is quite good. The philharmonic is one of the best, and the Eastman School of Music is top 5 in the world. There are good plays if you're into that, and there are good festivals as well. There are very good places to eat, too.

If all you want to do is drink and raise hell, live somewhere else. If you want to drink and raise hell and do other stuff as well, Rochester is a good choice.

I like Buffalo better, having grown up near Rochester and now lived here for 3 years

Rochester's suburbs are definitely nicer though, no doubt there

one way I noticed there ws more $$ in Rochester was that I have worked for a number of years as a cook at country clubs to pay my way through college

in rochester, I worked at a REALLY upscale Country Club in Pittsford

in buffalo, I worked for a time at what here passes for an "upscale" country club, and boy was there a difference

the ones in Buffalo, even the really nice ones, are glorified tgi fridays restaurants on what would be average courses in the rochester areas

the country clubs in rochester are world class courses, and have world class fodd operations that serve food that is out of this world

in buffalo, the menus at the "upsalce" places are glorified bar food: chicken wings, fries, burgers, wraps, and some steaks, and fish for the more expensive choices

I guess this just means that the "money" in Rochester far exceeds the "money" in Buffalo

still, overall, I like Buffalo a lot better

I'm a poor college studnet so the quality of country clubs means little to me, except for an observation

I like Buffalo better, having grown up near Rochester and now lived here for 3 years

Rochester's suburbs are definitely nicer though, no doubt there

one way I noticed there ws more $$ in Rochester was that I have worked for a number of years as a cook at country clubs to pay my way through college

in rochester, I worked at a REALLY upscale Country Club in Pittsford

in buffalo, I worked for a time at what here passes for an "upscale" country club, and boy was there a difference

the ones in Buffalo, even the really nice ones, are glorified tgi fridays restaurants on what would be average courses in the rochester areas

the country clubs in rochester are world class courses, and have world class fodd operations that serve food that is out of this world

in buffalo, the menus at the "upsalce" places are glorified bar food: chicken wings, fries, burgers, wraps, and some steaks, and fish for the more expensive choices

I guess this just means that the "money" in Rochester far exceeds the "money" in Buffalo

still, overall, I like Buffalo a lot better

I'm a poor college studnet so the quality of country clubs means little to me, except for an observation

730951[/snapback]

I can't say I've heard a more rediculous way to rate cities than by comparing the kitchens at what one person considers to be upscale country clubs.

And while we're on the topic, the bathrooms in Buffalo Arby's are much cleaner than the bathrooms in Rochester Arby's.

About as much as the construction of a water park in Farmington has to do with Rochester.

730993[/snapback]

When Farmington becomes a part of Canada, call me.

That waterpark in Canada would still be there if Buffalo never existed. It exists because of tourism to the Niagara Falls/Ontario, Canada region which has little to do with Buffalo.

The waterpark proposed in Farmington (which was originally proposed for Henrietta, but moved probably due to issue of Monroe County government and the realization a more central Finger Lakes/Rochester/Syracuse would be better) is more about the regional market of the Finger Lakes as a hole, and would likely be moved closer to Syracuse if Rochester did not exist.

Doesn't much matter in the end though, because neither Buffalo or Rochester can likely support this type of venture for long and would doubtfully ever see the idea come to fruition.

Buffalo without a doubt. I would move back in a sec for a great job offer
Yea me too!!!!

San Diego...Not as many fat people as either Buffalo or Rochester.

Yea...I loved living there for 3 years while I was in....but I'll never pay $500,000 for a house that's worth $100,000 or less.