Any news on Chris Leak?

Tux of Borg

I'm not a Gator fan so I'm no expert, but my take on the situation was that Leak didn't really mesh well with Urban's spread offense last year. It was thought that he wasn't the best fit and he did struggle at times last year.

Florida recruited one of the best QBs in the country this spring, Tim Tebow. I had heard word that he may even push Leak for the starting job (I can't possibly see that happening though).

There is also another school of thought that says Leak will be vastly improved after a year learning the new offense and this could be a breakout year for him. I think he is a very good QB and I don't see why this wouldn't happen.

However, as a ND fan (and one who was at school when the Urban Meyer debacle took place), it makes me happy that Meyer couldn't get Leak to grasp his offense. And I hope everytime Leak (or any other QB he gets) screws something up, that he thinks about Brady Quinn and the job he passed up because it was too hard. :lol:

Leak definitely regressed as a QB last year. I am no football analyst, but i'd say it was more Urban Cryer's system than Leak himself. I remember leak from a few years ago, just making plays. Sure he was no threat for the heismann, but he was a good QB. Last yhear, the couple of UF games i caught, Leak just looked a bit lost in all of them. I cant see him talent dropping that much over 1 season, so i'd attribute it to Cryer.

The only thing I've heard about Leak is that he's succeptable to losing his job to Tim Tebow, a very highly touted Freshmen, this year. I think Leak should've transferred when Zook was forced out personally. He's all but ruined his draft status that he would've had could he of come out after his Sophmore campaign.

• 3 weeks later...

I would lean more towards the fact that Leak isnt a good fit in Urban's offense. Leak isnt built for it. If he struggles early this year, it wouldnt surprise me if Tebow comes in. The Gators have Percy Harvin at wide receiver this year. I saw him play last year in high school. He had some off field issues but he is nasty. His high school ran a spread type offense and he dominated. I think he will help Leak out a lot. But I think Urban is building for the next couple years when he gets his own recruits in that fit his system on offense.

Hey Ramius ... Any word on McDaniel down at FSU? He played with Harvin and orginally committed to Florida but changed to FSU, which I think was the right move.

I cant wait for college ball to start.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.