Keith Ellison signs contract

Keith Ellison, LB, has signed. His stats are impressive given how little he has played at the strongside LB position (he's also played Safety and QB). He's one of the guys who had to finish his final exams at college before the NFL would let him attend practices, so he missed all of OTA's as well.

Count on Ellison to stick around, but perhaps on the Practice Squad.

Lateral movement vs. In-Line speed, that is the question. If he is that slow running straight, he's not going to be but so fast going side to side there guy. I bet you that 40% of the DT in the NFL can run a 4.80 second 40. So we could put the tortise playing the back beside the kicker on special teams on kickoff coverage, but that's about it.

Dude ran a 4.80 40-yard dash. Can anyone say slow?

724252[/snapback]

Says 4.57 here.

Also in that link, read the final paragraph in the Analysis section. Says he's a good fit for the cover-2 as a Willy. I'm sure our scouts did their HW and watched enough film to determine that his speed won't be an issue. LB's do so much lateral shifting and backpedaling - which 40-yd dashes don't measure - that it's MUCH better to judge their "football" speed in actual game situations.

This is what I got from NFL.com's individual workouts:

Ellison (6-1¾ 230), who also worked out at the Combine, ran his two 40s in 4.74 seconds each. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.25 and the three-cone drill in 6.77. In addition, he had a 33½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-5 broad jump and 23 bench presses.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

His 40-times are all over the place. Campus time was 4.57, Combine was 4.64, and Pro Day was 4.74. However looking at his agility numbers, a 4.25 in the SS and a 6.77 in the 3-cone are pretty impressive.