Potentially great news for US Soccer...

ajzepp

If there is a God, he'll let the plan unfold exactly as you decribed....I'd LOVE to see the WC here in the states again. There's no way I'll get to S. Africa, but if it's here in the US there is absolutley no doubt that I'd go. That would rock, and it would be a perfect place for Klinsmann (my fellow German and WC hero) to lead us to our first WC....with a convincing 3-0 victory over Italy  :o

722255[/snapback]

I hope not. A Cup in Africa just means a lot more than it does in the U.S. We have it all. This might be the biggest positive event to happen on that continent (yes, Africa is a continent, people, not a country) in years. I'd like to see them have it, and do it well -- and I'd like to see 6 African teams including So. Africa (there were 5 this year). The Euros had plenty of squads and could stand to lose one. Serbia wasn't that great and there were a couple others I could name that could have easily yielded their spots to African squads.

I hope Freddy Adu doesn't go play for Ghana, however, just to spite us because Bruce Arena was a dick this time around.

To quote the black jack dealer in Vegas Vaction...

"Instead of fielding a US World Cup Team, how about you give me half the money you were going to bet, I'll take you out back, kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day."

I hope not.  A Cup in Africa just means a lot more than it does in the U.S.  We have it all.  This might be the biggest positive event to happen on that continent (yes, Africa is a continent, people, not a country) in years.  I'd like to see them have it, and do it well -- and I'd like to see 6 African teams including So. Africa (there were 5 this year).  The Euros had plenty of squads and could stand to lose one.  Serbia wasn't that great and there were a couple others I could name that could have easily yielded their spots to African squads.

I hope Freddy Adu doesn't go play for Ghana, however, just to spite us because Bruce Arena was a dick this time around.

722414[/snapback]

If anything, I'd expect to see them gain a team before losing one considering all 4 finalists were European this year.

It's a bit of the conspiracy theorist in me, but look how they called the games in the opening rounds and how they called them from the quarters on. If that wasn't trying to eliminate the "riff-raff" with red cards, I'm not sure what it was.

In the meantime, Ivory Coast was in a tough group with the Argentines and the Netherlands, Ghana beat out a supposed top-5 U.S. squad and a Czech team that was supposedly superior, and Angola played hard, too. I think African soccer has a future.

a future? I think they'll win the world cup in the next 16 years. Some of the best players in the world are being produce from Africa, along with their great athleticism and large population that is hungry to escape poverty through any means possible. (ie - they're hungry to succeed!)

I hope not.  A Cup in Africa just means a lot more than it does in the U.S.  We have it all.  This might be the biggest positive event to happen on that continent (yes, Africa is a continent, people, not a country) in years.  I'd like to see them have it, and do it well -- and I'd like to see 6 African teams including So. Africa (there were 5 this year).  The Euros had plenty of squads and could stand to lose one.  Serbia wasn't that great and there were a couple others I could name that could have easily yielded their spots to African squads.

722414[/snapback]

I was providing info going through the rumor mill. Maybe it's just a little pressure coming from the top that the S. Africa group needs to get their buns moving on construction. No different than the IOC pressing Greece when it looked like some of the event venues weren't going to be ready b/c of largely bureaucratic delays.

I also would like the WC held on the African continent and see them get it right. Asking a lot --- even from S. Africa, probably the most advanced country there --- where corruption and highly unsophisticated political systems flourish. Maybe it might spur some development and put some attention to a spot that the rest of the world only hears about when Bono goes there. Much like how the US Interstate System and the Marshall Plan proved, they need transportation as the first step. That will lead to improved commerce, education, medical treatment. As it stands, when people can't get around easily, nothing happens. Sad to see that the leaders there want it to stay that way. Perhaps the WC will bring some hope and a starting place.

Sounds good to me.

Can you imagine how crazy that would drive the rest of the world?  I can't even fathom it.

722626[/snapback]

lol, no doubt....I'd probably take a whole month off of work if it did come here, though :doh: I wouldn't know what to do with myself! Wait, yeah I do....I'd go find some of those hot Brazilian chicks in the stands!!! :o

lol, no doubt....I'd probably take a whole month off of work if it did come here, though :P  I wouldn't know what to do with myself!  Wait, yeah I do....I'd go find some of those hot Brazilian chicks in the stands!!!  :doh:

722729[/snapback]

You identified one of the many benefits of having the World Cup here. :o

lol, no doubt....I'd probably take a whole month off of work if it did come here, though :D  I wouldn't know what to do with myself!  Wait, yeah I do....I'd go find some of those hot Brazilian chicks in the stands!!!  ;)

722729[/snapback]

:flirt:

The next piece of the puzzle is in place....

Arena Out as US Head Coach

723054[/snapback]

Good riddance, Bruce!!! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split 'ya!!!!!

That article isn't exactly correct with regard to what Klinsmann said.....he said he didn't have any interest in the US position AT THE TIME.....they asked him while he was in the middle of the WC for gosh sakes. Things change.... ;)