Jim Otto on LeCharles Bentley

Rico

I think Lenny P. dropped the ball again, cause I remember Ken Burrough with the Oilers wearing 00, & he played into the 1980's.

710578[/snapback]

you beat me to it. And let's not forget that Nate Scarborogh wore the number for the Mean Machine....not NFL, but every bit as tough!

...and ended up crippled.  Otto was the subject of a profile in the late 1970s that was positively chilling. My father, who was a big Otto fan (because he was Daryle Lamonica's center--my family fought the Kemp-Lamonica wars with a vendetta passion only Italians can understand) was nearly in tears while we watched Otto show how hard it was for him even to get out of bed. I will never forget that.

Thus one can see why he might be a tad bitter.....

710448[/snapback]

wow...and to think I almost asked if any one knew what Otto's 40 time is.

Another old player who is still disgruntled by the fact that a guy like LeBentley is making  millions while Otto was paid with beaver pelt.

710414[/snapback]

I am a fan from the AFL days. Guys like Otto were pioneers. They played the game when football's popularity took off and became the #1 sport in the country. Otto was one of the great players on a team with many great players. He was part of several of the NFLs legendary moments. Most of those guys made little money, especially relative to today. Otto suffers many injuries, his knees have been replaced. He lives in constant pain. He is paying the price for never missing a game in 15 years.

I think Bentley was showing class by honoring a great player. Otto's comments are harsh and disappointing. Still, I cut him some slack, for old times sake.

old time players deserve props but the quality of athletes in the NFL just goes up and up.

otto should be honoured that a bigger faster stronger more professional player today is willing to extend his legacy by wearing his number.