Carolina, Not Handling Adversity

They folded like a cheap lawn chair tonight. With 5 minutes to go, they have been outshot 34-11 and outscored 4-0. The Oilers have been absolutely killing them and the small emotional lift the return of Eric Cole may have given the Whalercanes was quickly and efficiently squashed by Edmonton's physical game.

Game 7 is Monday night.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Bolt even bothered unpacking the Cup tonight....back to Carolina.

Can't wait to hear Laviolette's excuse tonight...after all, the Canes never lose, they just fail to overcome bad officiating, cheating by the other team, etc...

Oilers tonight played fundamentally great hockey. Passes were crisp, they never stopped/went into a defensive shell and tried to sit on the lead. Attack, attack, attack --- I love that. This is what happens when your back's against the wall. Hope they didn't just blow their wads, tho.

If it can't be the Sabres....

They folded like a cheap lawn chair tonight.  With 5 minutes to go, they have been outshot 34-11 and outscored 4-0.  The Oilers have been absolutely killing them and the small emotional lift the return of Eric Cole may have given the Whalercanes was quickly and efficiently squashed by Edmonton's physical game.

Game 7 is Monday night.

710067[/snapback]

LOL, not handle adversity? They lost one of the top three forwards in the whole NHL in the latter stages of the season. They overcame it. They were down 2-0 in the first round of the playoffs and heading on the road in the first round. They won. They switched to a rookie as a go to goaltender in the playoffs. They still won three Eastern Conference Series. They were on the road tonight in a great hockey atmosphere without Doug Weight, and Eric Cole back for the first time. Anyone betting, would have bet on Edmonton.

They'll be fine in Raleigh Monday night. Brind'Amour, Weight and the rest of their vets won't crap themselves at home in a game 7. It's been a great series. Awesome that we have a game 7. At this point, every team remaining has handled some kind of adversity.

Oilers tonight played fundamentally great hockey. Passes were crisp, they never stopped/went into a defensive shell and tried to sit on the lead. Attack, attack, attack --- I love that. This is what happens when your back's against the wall. Hope they didn't just blow their wads, tho.

If it can't be the Sabres....

710070[/snapback]

They were terrific tonight. Very physical without being stupid - the penultimate moment was in the third when Torres chirped at Cullen for hitting him dirty and Cullen just couldn't stop himself and ended up in the box again. I'd have loved to see Raffi wring him out like a dish towel.

The PPs certainly switched tonight. The Oil was awesome and the Canes pedestrian. The loss of Doug Weight's patience and saucer passes was noticeable. I'm curious to see if the return of Cole completely backfires.

LOL, not handle adversity?  They lost one of the top three forwards in the whole NHL in the latter stages of the season.  They overcame it.

They overcame it because they traded for Weight and Recchi (yes I know Weight was already there but he wasn't integrated into the team). Whoopie.

They were down 2-0 in the first round of the playoffs and heading on the road in the first round.  They won.  They switched to a rookie as a go to goaltender in the playoffs.

You'll forgive me for not giving them too much credit for coming back to beat a terrible Montreal team that they have owned all season. As far as starting a rookie, Edmonton is starting their 3rd string goalie who's spent most of the postseason eating popcorn in a nice suite.

They still won three Eastern Conference Series.  They were on the road tonight in a great hockey atmosphere without Doug Weight, and Eric Cole back for the first time.  Anyone betting, would have bet on Edmonton. 

Thanks Mrs. Laviolette. How many times do you remember a team leading 3 games to 2 having to take a basketball timeout because they're getting run out of a building that they've CONSISTANTLY outplayed their opponent in prior to the drop of the puck tonight?

They'll be fine in Raleigh Monday night.  Brind'Amour, Weight and the rest of their vets won't crap themselves at home in a game 7.  It's been a great series.  Awesome that we have a game 7.  At this point, every team remaining has handled some kind of adversity.

710072[/snapback]

I doubt Weight plays and we'll see about the rest of it. Games 7's are pretty unpredictable.

They overcame it because they traded for Weight and Recchi (yes I know Weight was already there but he wasn't integrated into the team).  Whoopie.

You'll forgive me for not giving them too much credit for coming back to beat a terrible Montreal team that they have owned all season.  As far as starting a rookie, Edmonton is starting their 3rd string goalie who's spent most of the postseason eating popcorn in a nice suite. 

Thanks Mrs. Laviolette.  How many times do you remember a team leading 3 games to 2 having to take a basketball timeout because they're getting run out of a building that they've CONSISTANTLY outplayed their opponent in prior to the drop of the puck tonight? 

I doubt Weight plays and we'll see about the rest of it.  Games 7's are pretty unpredictable.

710074[/snapback]

ha ha ha, great answers as always. i still can't help but think if darcy/golisano gave it up the sabres could have had pronger and the cup would already be in buffalo. didn't you sense early that this was the year, the best chance ever, for the cup...isn't that worth mortgaging whatever was necessary? I don't follow other teams as much as the Sabres, I admit, but why didn't they get Pronger? (even if he is a dick.) I can't help thinking he is the difference between the cup, and just knowing we had the best team.

After watching the game tonight, I was embarrassed by the fact that I wasted approximately an hour of my life watching the US and Italy play kickball this afternoon.

I was absolutely sick when the Sabres lost in the EC Finals, and I had to witness it live in front of bandwagon redneck hockey "fans." I want nothing more than to see Edmonton finish this off.

Hence, my dilemma. I have Game 7 tickets. Do I sell them or do I go?

ha ha ha, great answers as always.  i still can't help but think if darcy/golisano gave it up the sabres could have had pronger and the cup would already be in buffalo.  didn't you sense early that this was the year, the best chance ever, for the cup...isn't that worth mortgaging whatever was necessary?  I don't follow other teams as much as the Sabres, I admit, but why didn't they get Pronger? (even if he is a dick.)  I can't help thinking he is the difference between the cup, and just knowing we had the best team.

710077[/snapback]

No way, it would have cost Jay McKee + more, which could have both really screwed up our morale with losing one of the leaders on the team, but would also replace McKee for a defenseman who is better, but imo only marginally for what we would have given up.

Pronger wouldn't have solved having 4 defenseman injured & Connolly as well, which is what it ended up coming down to.

They overcame it because they traded for Weight and Recchi (yes I know Weight was already there but he wasn't integrated into the team).  Whoopie.

You'll forgive me for not giving them too much credit for coming back to beat a terrible Montreal team that they have owned all season.  As far as starting a rookie, Edmonton is starting their 3rd string goalie who's spent most of the postseason eating popcorn in a nice suite. 

Thanks Mrs. Laviolette.  How many times do you remember a team leading 3 games to 2 having to take a basketball timeout because they're getting run out of a building that they've CONSISTANTLY outplayed their opponent in prior to the drop of the puck tonight? 

I doubt Weight plays and we'll see about the rest of it.  Games 7's are pretty unpredictable.

710074[/snapback]

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Get over it man. Seriously, Lindy Ruff is one of the biggest crybabies in the game. The stuff with Laviolette is old. Ruff is one of the most annoying whiners in hockey, but all of sudden, hard luck Sabres fans like to single him out. What a joke.

Like you said, Weight was already there. Mark Recchi is about 1/4 of the player that Eric Cole is at this stage in his career. When Recchi came from Pittsburgh to Carolina he was a noticeable step slower than most of the Canes on the ice. He has had his moments, but they have been few and far between. Eric Cole is a playmaker and one of the league's superstars in the making. Losing him was as big as any team losing anyone. And yes, they got Recchi, however, as has been stated by their GM, their target was a rugged defenseman at the trade deadline, but instead they had to settle for Recchi, and all because of a cheap shot from Pittsburgh's Brooks Orpik on the boarding that occured on Cole. They still would have been better with a defenseman instead of Recchi, IMO.

I dont' give a damn who it is. The Canes were down 2-0 going on the road and came back and handled an up and coming Montreal team. #7 seeded Montreal, who kind of look like a cheap version, but same kind of makeup as Edmonton. I think that is a pretty formiddable series win. #7 Montreal can't be that bad, after all, #8 Edmonton looks pretty damn good to me.

I don't care if it's the Oilers #12 goalie. The Canes went away from Gerber, and went to a rookie in net. A rookie who had to handle himself on the road to start his playoff career and handled it well. I hardly feel bad for Edmonton having to go to their 3rd stringer.

I don't care when or why the timeout occured. An ass beating is an ass-beating. Edmonton rolled tonight, and had all kinds of 'Mo coming back from Raleigh with the OT win. Who the hell didn't think that would happen, especially when Weight was out. The Canes really missed his passing tonight.

Game 7's anything can happen. Should be awesome to watch. I think you are correct though, I kinda agree that we probably won't see Weight anymore this season.

After watching the game tonight, I was embarrassed by the fact that I wasted approximately an hour of my life watching the US and Italy play kickball this afternoon.

I was absolutely sick when the Sabres lost in the EC Finals, and I had to witness it live in front of bandwagon redneck hockey "fans."  I want nothing more than to see Edmonton finish this off.

Hence, my dilemma.  I have Game 7 tickets.  Do I sell them or do I go?

710081[/snapback]

Bandwagon "redneck" fans. As opposed to above everyone else, unemployed, and mostly fat, northern, run down city, out of business union fans.

Give it rest man. The Sabres fans' jealousy is sickening already. Raleigh is a beautiful place t live, and is night and day from Buffalo.

And yes, you go. You can't beat a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The atmosphere will be once in a lifetime.

Bandwagon "redneck" fans.  As opposed to above everyone else, unemployed, and mostly fat, northern, run down city, out of business union fans.

Give it rest man.  The Sabres fans' jealousy is sickening already.  Raleigh is a beautiful place t live, and is night and day from Buffalo.

And yes, you go.  You can't beat a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  The atmosphere will be once in a lifetime.

710089[/snapback]

Excuse me. I live here -- have for the last 9 years. What the hell does how beautiful it is have to do with the bandwagon fans here? I know of what I speak. The Canes' fans are as bandwagon as they come. Fan jealousy? Give me a break. I was there and HEARD the "Let's Go, Buffalo" chants at the RBC Center. The Canes beat the friggin' Rochester Americans in the EC Finals -- and needed 7 games to do it. Eric Cole was lost at the halfway point in the season, and Carolina had plenty of time to adjust to his absence. They finally face some adversity in the form of injuries in the Finals and we're supposed to sympathize?

If there is such a thing as "hockey justice," Edomonton wins Monday night.

Bandwagon "redneck" fans.  As opposed to above everyone else, unemployed, and mostly fat, northern, run down city, out of business union fans.

Give it rest man.  The Sabres fans' jealousy is sickening already.  Raleigh is a beautiful place t live, and is night and day from Buffalo.

And yes, you go.  You can't beat a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  The atmosphere will be once in a lifetime.

710089[/snapback]

Ummmmmm, yea, the atmosphere would be once in a lifetime if even 15 percent of the people in attendance understood what they were watching. Since the game will be in Raleigh, that won't be the case. e-ball should sell the damn tickets, for the same reason as the last game he had tickets for. get the scalper prices. even though they're so much lower than what they would be in a real hockey town.

and by the way, if you hate buffalo and the people of buffalo so much, which is clearly evident from this post, so don't bother trying to backtrack from it, why don't you go the !@#$ away? It's clear from your Cole comments that you don't understand hockey, it's clear from your comments here that you hate Buffalo, and Buffalonians. Why exactly do you love the Bills? I'm assuming that's what your handle refers to...really, I'm wondering...

710081[/snapback]

Not embarrassed enough to come up with your own material though, apparently :P

Excuse me.  I live here -- have for the last 9 years.  What the hell does how beautiful it is have to do with the bandwagon fans here?  I know of what I speak.  The Canes' fans are as bandwagon as they come.  Fan jealousy?  Give me a break.  I was there and HEARD the "Let's Go, Buffalo" chants at the RBC Center.  The Canes beat the friggin' Rochester Americans in the EC Finals -- and needed 7 games to do it.  Eric Cole was lost at the halfway point in the season, and Carolina had plenty of time to adjust to his absence.  They finally face some adversity in the form of injuries in the Finals and we're supposed to sympathize?

If there is such a thing as "hockey justice," Edomonton wins Monday night.

710092[/snapback]

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. And who fuggin cares? Seriously. WHO CARES? We had a couple of playoff games in the 90's that Ralph had to buy the remaining tickets for did we not? Hockey is new to Raleigh. No one plays it growing up. No one really knew the NHL existed 10 yrs ago. Most people spend their money on UNC, Duke, and NC State season tickets for basketball and football in that area. So, who cares? They are building their fan base now. It will continue to grow, and it is one of the best arena's in the league as far as atmosphere. The guys on OLN said it the other night, that there hasn't been a louder arena than Raleigh that they experienced all year. It's a start. It's relatively new. It's a basketball and college town area. Big fuggin deal. All of their games sold out, and would have sold out with or without Buffalo fans. Sabre fans were just smart enough to know the urgency in getting seats alot quicker. Something Canes fans aren't accustomed to yet.

You've heard........."Let's go Buffalo" in Raleigh. Again, who cares? I sit in my season tix at Bills games, and here J-E-T-S chants too. Does that mean we are bandwagon Bills fans? After all, our season ticket base is one of the lowest in the NFL. Are Buffalo fans bandwagon. I saw 25,000 Pittsburgh Steelers fans in the Ralph 2 seasons ago that made me sick. I saw about 15,000 Raiders fans in the Ralph three years ago. I see 10,000 plus Pats fans in the Ralph every year. Does that make us a bad football city?

Give it a rest man.

Are Sabres fans really all that great? Wasn't the team all but pretty much folded up and about defunct about 5 years ago?

The start of this post wasn't necessarily about bandwagon, it was more about the Redneck part of things, and from Buffalo people nonetheless. Because the I-79 and I-90 corridors are a beacon of modernization of success. Jesus.

No one asked for sympathy, it's just old seeing how jealous Buffalo fans get. Our day will come. The Bills will win it all, and we'll be on top one day. Until then, quit being so damn bitter.

Ummmmmm, yea, the atmosphere would be once in a lifetime if even 15 percent of the people in attendance understood what they were watching.  Since the game will be in Raleigh, that won't be the case.  e-ball should sell the damn tickets, for the same reason as the last game he had tickets for.  get the scalper prices.  even though they're so much lower than what they would be in a real hockey town.

and by the way, if you hate buffalo and the people of buffalo so much, which is clearly evident from this post, so don't bother trying to backtrack from it, why don't you go the !@#$ away? It's clear from your Cole comments that you don't understand hockey, it's clear from your comments here that you hate Buffalo, and Buffalonians.  Why exactly do you love the Bills?  I'm assuming that's what your handle refers to...really, I'm wondering...

710094[/snapback]

Nah, to me, it's ironic that the people who claim that Laviolette is a whiner, have done nothing but whine since the Sabres got bounced.

And please enlighten me on Eric Cole. This outta be real good.

Real hockey town? How'd the Sabres franchise look about 5 years ago? Just wondering.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  And who fuggin cares?  Seriously.  WHO CARES?  We had a couple of playoff games in the 90's that Ralph had to buy the remaining tickets for did we not?  Hockey is new to Raleigh.  No one plays it growing up.  No one really knew the NHL existed 10 yrs ago.  Most people spend their money on UNC, Duke, and NC State season tickets for basketball and football in that area.  So, who cares?  They are building their fan base now.  It will continue to grow, and it is one of the best arena's in the league as far as atmosphere.  The guys on OLN said it the other night, that there hasn't been a louder arena than Raleigh that they experienced all year.  It's a start.  It's relatively new.  It's a basketball and college town area.  Big fuggin deal.  All of their games sold out, and would have sold out with or without Buffalo fans.  Sabre fans were just smart enough to know the urgency in getting seats alot quicker.  Something Canes fans aren't accustomed to yet.

You've heard........."Let's go Buffalo" in Raleigh.  Again, who cares?  I sit in my season tix at Bills games, and here J-E-T-S chants too.  Does that mean we are bandwagon Bills fans?  After all, our season ticket base is one of the lowest in the NFL.  Are Buffalo fans bandwagon.  I saw 25,000 Pittsburgh Steelers fans in the Ralph 2 seasons ago that made me sick.  I saw about 15,000 Raiders fans in the Ralph three years ago.  I see 10,000 plus Pats fans in the Ralph every year.  Does that make us a bad football city?

Give it a rest man.

Are Sabres fans really all that great?  Wasn't the team all but pretty much folded up and about defunct about 5 years ago?

The start of this post wasn't necessarily about bandwagon, it was more about the Redneck part of things, and from Buffalo people nonetheless.  Because the I-79 and I-90 corridors are a beacon of modernization of success.  Jesus.

No one asked for sympathy, it's just old seeing how jealous Buffalo fans get.  Our day will come.  The Bills will win it all, and we'll be on top one day.  Until then, quit being so damn bitter.

710097[/snapback]

Did someone twist your arm and force you to type on your keyboard in response to this thread? Do you really think you're going to change my mind -- particularly when you pull bogus "facts" out of your arse?

The guys on OLN said it the other night, that there hasn't been a louder arena than Raleigh that they experienced all year.

All of their games sold out, and would have sold out with or without Buffalo fans.

You've heard........."Let's go Buffalo" in Raleigh. Again, who cares? I sit in my season tix at Bills games, and here J-E-T-S chants too. Does that mean we are bandwagon Bills fans? After all, our season ticket base is one of the lowest in the NFL. Are Buffalo fans bandwagon. I saw 25,000 Pittsburgh Steelers fans in the Ralph 2 seasons ago that made me sick. I saw about 15,000 Raiders fans in the Ralph three years ago. I see 10,000 plus Pats fans in the Ralph every year. Does that make us a bad football city?

Are Sabres fans really all that great? Wasn't the team all but pretty much folded up and about defunct about 5 years ago?

Ok, piece by piece....the OLN shills are full of sh-- and have been all playoffs. When they were in Buffalo, and Edmonton, they were obviously speaking at the top of their voice. Watch the tape if you have them....they are hearing the crowd noise and responding to it..not so in Carolina....they are still pumping in noise and music, and it is still not as loud...so the announcers aren't doing the shouted intros in Carolina that they have to do elsewhere. The loud Carolina crowd is a myth.

They would have sold out otherwise........there weren't tickets elsewhere for Carolina fans to buy anywhere else. Get a clue. It's passion and knowledge.

As far as chants...were those regular season or playoff games you heard that at??????????????????? thought so.

And if you don't know the bankruptcy saga and what the cause of it was, do a search on Rigas and scandal and do some reading stupid. Or better yet, go jerk off another no knowledge Divercaine fan on one of their boards and leave the hockey to people who know what they are watching.