Softball players

I just got home from umpiring a pair of double-headers. 1st set fine. 2nd set one team won the first game 15-0. The team on the losing end was doing nothing but whining the entire game (about my calls, about the other team running up the score etc.)

So we get the last game going, the losers are hanging in there for a little bit and early in the game I make a bang-bang call against them. One guy flipped out, swore at me and I gave them a warning.

Well, the good team starts breaking out the whoop-a$$ again and the losers are beginning to unravel. It all ended when a guy over ran 3rd, they threw behind him and I called him out. 3 guys basically flipped out on me and started throwing f-bombs at me. I ended the game right there and walked off. As I was walking off and was being told how horrible I was, I shot back "you guys were pretty special too". I know it was stooping to their level, but I needed to get the last word.

Sorry, just needed to vent and tell all of you softball guys to remember your umpires have day jobs, families and feelings. 0:)

I just got home from umpiring a pair of double-headers.  1st set fine.  2nd set one team won the first game 15-0.  The team on the losing end was doing nothing but whining the entire game (about my calls, about the other team running up the score etc.) 

So we get the last game going, the losers are hanging in there for a little bit and early in the game I make a bang-bang call against them.  One guy flipped out, swore at me and I gave them a warning. 

Well, the good team starts breaking out the whoop-a$$ again and the losers are beginning to unravel.  It all ended when a guy over ran 3rd, they threw behind him and I called him out.  3 guys basically flipped out on me and started throwing f-bombs at me.  I ended the game right there and walked off.  As I was walking off and was being told how horrible I was, I shot back "you guys were pretty special too".  I know it was stooping to their level, but I needed to get the last word.

Sorry, just needed to vent and tell all of you softball guys to remember your umpires have day jobs, families and feelings.  0:)

708077[/snapback]

well, our softball umps wouldnt hear it so bad down hear if they'd stop calling us lefties out for "stepping on the plate" after a hit when no such thing happend.

Note to umpires. Lefties dont need to cross home plate on their way to 1st base, thereby eliminating the chances of them stepping on the plate.

I have umped before tho, and you are right, some people need to lighten up.

We bust the umpires chops, but nothing seriousm, mainly just joking around. We have had the same umps in our league for a few years so they all know us pretty well. I can't stand "Softball Guy". The losers that have nothing going for them in life but softball and take it way to seriously.

Keep your head up Richmond

Why take it out on the ump when your team is getting schooled? I played on a co-ed team last fall and we were pretty bad so I know how frustrating it can be in that situation. When other teams started running the score up on us, I just started throwing AT guys (not the women) who were trying to take extra bases.

Have played softball for around 20 years and still do on a good level and I appreciate the often thankless job of umping alot of "wannibe" ballplaeyrs. Relax everyone there is a reason why we play rec leagues and not in the Big Leagues. We aren't as good as we think we are so enjoy the competition and the ice cold beers before and after!!! :D

I play often on various teams. I have played on very good teams that won championships and very bad teams that lost almost every game. I just love to play.

But you're right...I hate "Softball Guy" too. You can spot him from the multiple wristbands he wears.

Take it easy on the umps. We have decent umps in our league. I have very little to complain about.