The Patriot Ledger says

2) No other NFL team was willing to take the gamble:  BS!  There was talk of teams right below us such as Oakland & Tennessee taking McGahee before the end of the 1st round.  The consensus was Al Davis would have taken the gamble if McGahee was still on the board when the Raiders picked #1.  Willis would have not been available much longer.

Had Oakland or Tenn taken him, he would be starting for them this year.  When the Bills draft McGimpee, they never had ANY intentions of him starting over TH.  To me, that is a wasted first round pick.

The "Patriots Ledger" is nothing more than an compiliation of written masturbation for Pat's fans.  It has as much objectivity and insight as the Iraqi Information Minister.

53055[/snapback]

:wub:

Not that you could know this, but "The Patriot Ledger" is actually a newspaper out of Quincy, Mass (which is directly south of Boston) and isn't related to the New England Patriots. It's a small-time suburban newspaper.

I thought Kelly said that he'd never play in Buffalo?  I could be mistaken (was only 8 at the time), but that's what I seem to remember...

53648[/snapback]

No, Kelly attended Bills rookie camps that year (I have a photo of he and Ferguson on the field together), and it wasn't until the USFL drafted him, and told him he could go to any of the franchises in that leauge, that he played it tough with the Bills...

Also, I never said McGahee hasn't done anything, only that he was not a necessary pick at the time we drafted him. He really hasn't done anything much, but that is not necessarily his fault. He has to get carries to contribute. You have to ask yourself though, if the coaches don't find it necessary to give him the ball, do we really need him?

No, Kelly attended Bills rookie camps that year (I have a photo of he and Ferguson on the field together), and it wasn't until the USFL drafted him, and told him he could go to any of the franchises in that leauge, that he played it tough with the Bills...

Also, I never said McGahee hasn't done anything, only that he was not a necessary pick at the time we drafted him.  He really hasn't done anything much, but that is not necessarily his fault.  He has to get carries to contribute.  You have to ask yourself though, if the coaches don't find it necessary to give him the ball, do we really need him?

53744[/snapback]

Unless you (or anyone else who agrees with you and the idiot who wrote that article) can give me a draft pick that we ahould have taken because he is now starting and contributing to a degree that you claim McGahee should now be, AND who clearly has the potential Willis does which we have glimpsed on any number of occasions so far, then this is all just mental masturbation.

So far, I've seen two possible O-line draft choices mentioned who have yet to make any serious impact to the teams that drafted them.

Opinions are like.......well you know, and I don't much give a crap about those of a writer for the Patriot Ledger.  Surely, one can just as easily call their pick of Ben Watson a waste, albeit in hindsight.

BTW, I've seen this said about a blue chip offensive or defensive lineman instead of McGahee, but who would that have been?  The Bills wanted Kelsey, and decided to gamble that he would be there when they picked second.  They got him anyway.  So I'm not exactly sure who we should have picked, but I would like to know who this high impact guy would have been.

With a bit more time, the pick will prove quite worthwhile.

52949[/snapback]

This whole thing about wanting Kelsay and getting him later is load of crap TD

throws out to make it look like it wasn't a wasted pick. There is no added

value there. He threw the dice and lost. I don't recall people lining up to

draft Kelsay, who is battling for, or rotating with, another bust draft pick in

Denney at DE. :wub:

So, as defined by a bunch of you, Jim Kelly was a wasted pick-He did nothing for the Bills until the 4th season after he was drafted. 

People are forgetting that Henry was still a huge ? at the time Willis was drafted.  As a rookie Henry had been arrested and was on probation, and had missed the last 3 games of his rookie year due to injury.  He followed that up with a decent 2nd season but fumbled 11 times! Off the field he was still so irresponsible financially that he had to sign an extension in order to get some much needed $.  He needed a lot of growing up to do in April 2003.  It wasn't until AFTER McGahee was drafted that Henry started to show he could hold on to the ball and that when injured he became the ultimate warrior, playing with rib and leg injuries that most players would have landed on IR with.  Henry is probably a lot more mature than when we drafted McGahee.  The McGahee pick made a lot of sense, especially if the team thought that McGahee would be a 3 year project, since most medical opinions are it takes 2 years to be fully recovered, back to top speed,  from McGahee's injury.  In April 2003, I viewed Henry as a potential ticking time bomb who may never grow up.  Much to his credit, he has changed a lot since then & will either be our featured back for years to come, or if McGahee shows enough to anticipate his return to superstar status by next year, Henry will yield good value in a trade. 

Finally, show some damn patience!  I'd rather have to wait 3 years & get a star in the 1st round than get another Eric Flowers.  People forget that Eric Moulds was being called a "wasted pick" at the same point in his career that McGahee is at & he wasn't comming off a major knee injury.

And...the writer is an idiot, lots of factually inaccurate stuff in the article.

52996[/snapback]

Sorry. If you have to wait three years on a RB, you've already missed the boat.