Bought my first hunting rifle last sunday...

Their trying to get rifle legalized her in Chautauqua Co NY....Most of NY is able to use rifle now but I'm still stuck with my Remington 870....Were trying to get big game down to the age of 14 as well.....There are very few things in life that bring a father and son/daughter closer then hunting...

I wish I could help you with your problem but reading the responses I think youve got it covered....good luck and make sure you know your target AND BEYOND...

When you sight it in, clean the barrel often and let the barrel cool between shots.  You want that rifle to fire dead nuts on for that first shot in the field.

702018[/snapback]

I didn't clean it prior to shooting it...I thought it looked clean...boy was I wrong. It was dirty as hell and took quite awhile to get it all cleaned and oiled. I'll keep in mind the barrel getting hot because I did notice it got hotter than fish grease after 5 quick shots!

The mailbox wasn't LanaK or my neighbor <_< It was an old one my brother had in his backyard that we decided to destroy. It was quite enjoyable.

Their trying to get rifle legalized her in Chautauqua Co NY....Most of NY is able to use rifle now but I'm still stuck with my Remington 870....Were trying to get big game down to the age of 14 as well.....There are very few things in life that bring a father and son/daughter closer then hunting...

I wish I could help you with your problem but reading the responses I think youve got it covered....good luck and make sure you know your target AND BEYOND...

702038[/snapback]

WHaaa? What's not legal in NY??? You can't use a rifle like mine in your county?? And yes we shoot out in the woods where there isn't a house or anything that we could hurt for miles. I agree with the hunting bond you speak of...i'm only 23 but I wish my dad had taken me hunting. <_< But now my brother and I are really getting into it...it's great to get outta town and into nature with a rifle in my hands. It's a good feeling. :)

As far as accuracy goes, that'll depend more on the cartridge you select than anything.  My advice is to spend the money on the better ammo and don't practice with a load you're not going to use hunting.

The trigger pull on that particular gun is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG but the iron sighte are short.  Not a good combination, really.  You didn't mention if you're going to scope it.  I would.

Make sure you sight it properly and it'll likely do the job you're looking for.  Good luck.

699148[/snapback]

Reference the long trigger pull - take it to a gunsmith and have it lightened. Typical factory settings are around 7lbs. A quality gunsmith can cut that in half. I just had the trigger work done on my Thompson’s Encore. It's night and day.

702038[/snapback]

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE no rifle hunting in Chautauqua County. Not that I'm against it, but damn it those nutjobs that come from Ohio on the weekends are dangerous enough with shotguns, I dont want them coming with highpower rifles......

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE no rifle hunting in Chautauqua County.  Not that I'm against it, but damn it those nutjobs that come from Ohio on the weekends are dangerous enough with shotguns, I dont want them coming with highpower rifles......

703366[/snapback]

Er, nutjobs from NYS come into OH with regularity to do same. For a many, many years, I might add...

No State has an exclusive franchise... :P

Be thankful you can own a semi-auto...Here in Australia you can't. I just bought a Ruger M77 Frontier in .308. Can't wait to go up north and hunt some Wild Pig. Not trying to sound like a right wing wacko or anything...but don't let what happened here happen back home as far as gun rights go. Join the NRA or something....I miss my HK-91 and Remington 870 (oh yea, can't own pump shotguns here either). One of the reasons I'll be moving back in 2 years.