Attn: Soccer Fans

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew how awesome of a game it was until I happened to be in France in 1998 for the World Cup. Count me it, what are we up to, about 12 now?

696851[/snapback]

Wow, that must have been awesome....I'm so envious of you guys who have been abroad. I wish I could be in Germany for the WC this year.....

Looks like they have a fairly good turnout in TN tonight....the game was pretty slow in the first half but has really picked up in the second. The US team seems to be holding back a fair bit, maybe trying to work out some kinks, I dunno. Some nice ball movement, but their shots on goal have left something to be desired.

I never knew how awesome of a game it was until I happened to be in France in 1998 for the World Cup. Count me it, what are we up to, about 12 now?

696851[/snapback]

You got to see Zidane win the world cup live and up close. Lucky mofo :lol:

Meanwhile, the Italian coach is, instead of warming up his players, answering questions from investigators about how his former club fixed the matches.

I don't know why but I have this bad feeling that Italy wont' pass their group, great for you guys but not for me :(

You got to see Zidane win the world cup live and up close.  Lucky mofo :lol:

Meanwhile, the Italian coach is, instead of warming up his players, answering questions from investigators about how his former club fixed the matches.

I don't know why but I have this bad feeling that Italy wont' pass their group, great for you guys but not for me :)

696859[/snapback]

Well, I didn't actually get to go to a live match. My two friends went to the England vs. Tunisia match in Marseille when the riot broke out. They were nearly killed.

But even though I didn't get to go to any matches (horribly expensive), there were several very large screens set up all over Paris. Big screens, like an IMAX size in strategic places like the courtyard in Notre Dame, and near the Tower. Thousands of people would gather around these things during the day, businessmen, police, kids...anyone you would see on a given day on that street.

Imagine having thousands of Bills fans watching our team win the Super Bowl on a huge outdoor IMAX screen... in Buffalo. It was very much like that.

One of my best memories from that trip was sitting on the "lawn" of this one area in front of the screen at the Eiffel Tower made up to look like a football field smoking a fat euro cone. Ahh, the carefree days of youth...

Woo-hoo, I'll be at the game...

696656[/snapback]

Make it 10 soccer fans....CANNOT wait for the World Cup!!  GO USA!!

696667[/snapback]

Make it 11....

GO   U S A !!!

696669[/snapback]

Make that 12 of us, and thanks for the reminder about the game tonight!

696694[/snapback]

Lucky 13...Go USA!

696716[/snapback]

13,14 or 15.  Lets say I am 15.  Gooooooooooooooooaaaaaalllllll!

696952[/snapback]

Nice try guys...we all know this is just members of the original 8 repeating themselves. :lol:

Why was Morocco on the scoreboard as "MAR"?

697059[/snapback]

They normally use whatever county they are in's spelling and pronunciation. In france we were Etas Unis, England was Engleterre, etc...

They normally use whatever county they are in's spelling and pronunciation. In france we were Etas Unis, England was Engleterre, etc...

697106[/snapback]

But didn't somebody post that the game was in Tennessee??? :lol:

Oh, nevermind. :)

One of my best memories from that trip was sitting on the "lawn" of this one area in front of the screen at the Eiffel Tower made up to look like a football field smoking a fat euro cone. Ahh, the carefree days of youth...

696892[/snapback]

Yeah, that was like...jeez....eight years ago. (ha..ha)

BTW - did you get Waters tix? So far, I have them for the Tweeter Center in Camden (Road Trip!!). I may go to the Nissan Pavilion although I swore I would never go to another show there again. If I can park at someone's apartment that lives nearby, I may change my mind.

697106[/snapback]

Yeah, except this was on ESPN2, in the USA. Even when the World Cup was in Korea/Japan, I don't remember seeing the USA as 미 국 国 on ESPN

Yeah, except this was on ESPN2, in the USA.  Even when the World Cup was in Korea/Japan, I don't remember seeing the USA as 미 국 国 on ESPN

697250[/snapback]

No they were too busy fixing the games to adjust the languages as well.

Why was Morocco on the scoreboard as "MAR"?

697059[/snapback]

They did mention that during the broadcast. It wasn't a mistake, but I don't remember the reason why they said it was like that, other than it was their "official" abbreviation for something or other.

They did mention that during the broadcast. It wasn't a mistake, but I don't remember the reason why they said it was like that, other than it was their "official" abbreviation for something or other.

697365[/snapback]

All countries have a 3-letter official abbreviation. I think the Olympics started this...

FRG = France

USA = United States

etc...

Why Morocco is MAR instead of MOR, I have no idea. Unless maybe they're saving MOR in case all the stupid people of the world unite and create a nation called Moronica.

All countries have a 3-letter official abbreviation.  I think the Olympics started this...

FRG = France

USA = United States

etc...

Why Morocco is MAR instead of MOR, I have no idea.  Unless maybe they're saving MOR in case all the stupid people of the world unite and create a nation called Moronica.

697377[/snapback]

I thought FRG was either the former East or West Germany??

I thought FRG was either the former East or West Germany??

697414[/snapback]

no it's short for frog <_<

France shouldn't even have a national team, you know since most of their players are either Arab or African.