Gore's global warming movie

I just saw the trailer for Inconvenient Truth, the Al Gore global warming movie. It's a doomsday-type movie, at least from the trailer, and I wonder how much of the science of global warming it discusses.

Link to trailer in quicktime

It seems like Americans have taken an interest in being better custodians of the earth. That's probably because we're rich enough to do so--if we were all starving and cold, we'd be burning unfiltered coal like crazy.

I doubt Gore's movie will make much of an impact on anyone. I'm an environmentalist (by my own definition), and I won't see it. The pro-Gore people will applaud it. The anti-Gore people will call him nuts and argue that this movie just a political ploy.

Taking care of the earth requires such a long view of things that it probably doesn't drive voters.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a natural process and are we contributing or is this just a scam.

696376[/snapback]

Tom's right. The answer to all your questions is surely yes. It's natural. We are contributing. And some of what's said is a scam.

Those being the answers, I take our role seriously and try to take care of the environment. I'm not a hemp-wearing Prius-driving nut, but I try to make responsible decisions.

Tom's right. The answer to all your questions is surely yes. It's natural. We are contributing. And some of what's said is a scam.

Those being the answers, I take our role seriously and try to take care of the environment. I'm not a hemp-wearing Prius-driving nut, but I try to make responsible decisions.

696399[/snapback]

I think there is truth to both, although I would'nt mind smashing a prius.

:lol:

696401[/snapback]

Yeah, what JA said.

Basically, natural process or no, we can't avoid contributing to it, being part of the closed environmental cycle as we are. At the same time, it's over-hyped, because the planet fundamentally doesn't care what we do - it's just going to go on its merry way with or without us. We're NOT going to destroy "the planet"...at worst, we'll destroy ourselves.

But, as JA also said, there's nothing wrong with being responsible for the environment, even if global warming is a scam. It's pretty damned stupid to sh-- where you sleep, at the very least...

Yeah, what JA said.

Basically, natural process or no, we can't avoid contributing to it, being part of the closed environmental  cycle as we are.  At the same time, it's over-hyped, because the planet fundamentally doesn't care what we do - it's just going to go on its merry way with or without us.  We're NOT going to destroy "the planet"...at worst, we'll destroy ourselves. 

But, as JA also said, there's nothing wrong with being responsible for the environment, even if global warming is a scam.  It's pretty damned stupid to sh-- where you sleep, at the very least...

696412[/snapback]

We won't destroy the planet or all life on it without really trying hard, but we could easily destroy our way of life and humanity.

We won't destroy the planet or all life on it without really trying hard, but we could easily destroy our way of life and humanity.

696442[/snapback]

Or we could look for a third way and adapt to a different way of life, but one that's better than no life.

global warming....

it is a natural process.

we are contributing pollutants which has and is slightly increasing the earths natural global warming process.

volcanoes and fires produce more pollution than man. (thats why its a natural process).

the ice caps will not melt over a 2 day span. sea level is rising but it will take a long time for all of antartica to melt (as they show in teh video)...

global warming did not cause the destruction in N.O., a huricane did. and we always get hurricanes that time of year.

you can slightly decrease global warming by decreasing human added pollutants, but you can NOT stop global warming because as i said, it is normal. you can stop using coal as a source of power, but will china stop using it? you can tell billions of people in other countries to stop burning wood to cook and clear forests with, but who are we to tell another countries people what to do.... (but some how they can tell us...).

the #1 contributer of air pollutants in the US is our CARS. if you want to really decrease the human added pollutants, stop using gas powered cars. but that will not happen.

if we stop using coal as a source of power we have to replace that power with something. i beleive 40% of all the power in the US is generated by coal power plants. i would like to see where we are going to get the power from.

we are advanced and have lots of money and technology, but a clean, reliable, and abundant power source is far from a reality.

global warming is not a "we are all going to die in 5 years unless we do something NOW" type of situation.

smog pollution in cities is a bigger problem right now, but noone seems to care about that.

our dependency on gasoline is also a bigger problem.

but if gore runs, i am going to vote for him.