Bush's Immigration Speech

I don't think the guest worker program equates to "amnesty" - though I'll be the first to admit it's wide open to interpretation.  My interpretation, though, is that "amnesty" is a global, no-questions-asked, forgiveness of any legal violations...basically equivalent to an umbrella presidential pardon.  The work program, on the other hand, is more of a quid pro quo situation: you do for us, we'll do for you.  Pay your taxes and fines, put in your time, and we'll give you citizenship.  In effect, it reduces the penalty for illegally crossing the border to a stiff fine while increasing the tax and SS base...

...which, when you think about it, is a pretty smart idea all around.  Of course, this administration has a long demonstrable history of taking smart ideas and implementing them atrociously...but it's still a pretty smart idea.

692585[/snapback]

It may not equate to amnesty but it opens the floodgates. We announce guest worker, those in Mexico hear amnesty. It's already happened, the boarder patrol has noticed increased crossings. The problem is not so much with those here working, they to provide a purpose. It's those that come over looking for work and don't find any and resort to crime to pay the bills. We do not have an endless supply of jobs, but the stream coming over does in fact appear endless. It's pretty scary.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not equate to amnesty but it opens the floodgates.  We announce guest worker, those in Mexico hear amnesty.  It's already happened, the boarder patrol has noticed increased crossings. 

693356[/snapback]

Exactly my point. This is a pandering response by the president. UPHOLD THE LAWS of the USA!!!!

If most Americans were ok with giving illegals rights and citizenship, I would be fine with it. Really. That is what a majority rules democracy is all about. But something like 80% of Americans want the laws to be upheld. I think that speaks for itself...

Exactly my point. This is a pandering response by the president. UPHOLD THE LAWS of the USA!!!!

693573[/snapback]

It sounds like your basic assumption there is that the president himself can grant amnesty - which I would be against. I was assuming, though, that he was suggesting a change in immigration law that would allow for the guest worker program, in which case he would be upholding the laws of the country.

And it's hard NOT to see reforming immigration law as a good idea, generally, considering we're having arguments about how badly its working as-is...

It sounds like your basic assumption there is that the president himself can grant amnesty - which I would be against.  I was assuming, though, that he was suggesting a change in immigration law that would allow for the guest worker program, in which case he would be upholding the laws of the country.

And it's hard NOT to see reforming immigration law as a good idea, generally, considering we're having arguments about how badly its working as-is...

693650[/snapback]

Clearly, it the guest worker plan is needed. And I agree it is a good idea. It's at least a step in the right direction. Congress still has to vote in this plan proposed by Chimp, right? So no, I would not assume that Chimp has the authority to grant amnesty.

My earlier statement was ment to suggest that immigrants in Mexico hear the "guest worker program" and will likely stream across the border hoping to get involved in the plan. Which I don't blame them for at all.

Without securing the border with either the Berlin Wall or the military (with guns) there is no way this worker program is going to work...

Build an electrified ence -10K volts.

692752[/snapback]

Like Jurrasic Park?

We've got an angry gator problem in F-L-A and a border problem in the SW. Time to start digging that moat boys. Two birds with one stone. Sheesh...do I have to think of everything?

I believe they're providing surveillence support to the border patrol.  I don't know that for a fact, it's just what I heard on the news.

694764[/snapback]

I believe what Bush said was. They will provide a lot of the infrastructure stuff, communications, handle holding centers, transport, etc... Which will clear up several thousand boarder patrol agents from desk jobs and move them back out to the front enforcing the laws. The National guard will not be directly involved in the capture of illegals.

I believe they're providing surveillence support to the border patrol.  I don't know that for a fact, it's just what I heard on the news.

694764[/snapback]

Thank's, All I hear, is their repairing fences and installing electronic surveilence to allow border agents to focus on crossings...Did that little to the north guy get deported :wacko: