My bouquet for Doug....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're comparing his production to Trent Dilfer's.

Your comparison is invalid, because Dilfer only became the starter partway through the year. Even if he'd produced the same number of yards or TDs per game as Flutie, he'd look worse due to having played fewer games.

Flutie is way better than Dilfer, any day..everyday.

694315[/snapback]

Flutie's passing stats compare to Bubby Brister though Doug was a better scrambler. They also had similar careers both played 12 years and started a few years but were predominately career backups.

W-L record?

:doh:

Oh yeah, that was all the D. Flutie had nothing to do with it.

Flutie's passing stats compare to Bubby Brister though Doug was a better scrambler. They also had similar careers both played 12 years and started a few years but were predominately career backups.

694988[/snapback]

Well, then you bench him earlier in the season.  You don't bench him after a meaningless game that RJ plays well in.  That is my biggest problem with the whole Flutie/ RJ situation.  At the time, I hated the Bills for that move, and the forward lateral was poetic justice in a sense.  It was totally unprofessional and Flutie had every right to B word and say he would have won that game.  I could have care less if Flutie or RJ was the QB, as long as the Bills won.  RJ had his opportunity, couldn't stay healthy, and overall, provided to be ineffective.  Ask Eric Moulds who his favorite QB was (of course that doesn't say much for his QBs  <_< ).  So I don't want to come of as a Flutie fanatic, but the guy got screwed big time by the Bills.  And whatever you say about how effective he was, he lead us to the playoffs twice and no other QB taken us since.  0:)

692397[/snapback]

1986, the Bears were the defending SB champs and just finished a 14-2 season. Flutie's only start was the meaningless last game of year. Based on that performance and to the dismay of the Bears players, Ditka named DF the starter in the playoffs over a healthy Mike Tomczak. Flutie had a terrible game, and the defending champs were out of the playoffs.

Fast forward 20+ years.

In 1999, RJ plays well in the meaningless last game of the year where the Bills finish the seaon 11-5. Based on his play in that game and to the dismay of Bills players, RJ is named the starter in the playoffs. The Bills lose the playoff game.

Poetic justice is not the Bills losing, but the fact DF got benched for the playoffs based on another players performance in a meaningless game, just like DF got the start in a playoff game based on his performance in a meaningless game.

It was an interview he did with TSN in Canada (a sit down interview with someone from one of their news shows) and he said he would have won that playoff game

I don't have a link cause I didn't watch it on the net, I don't have a video either cause I just sat down and caught part of the interview. If your looking for it, check google.

692311[/snapback]

Yeah.I remember it. I have to wonder this..how would he have won the game? By subbing for Porter on the KO coverage on that ill-fated play at the end of the game? Because throwing a pick for a TD instead of taking a safety is hardly a good thing in my book

and maybe if he was kept we'd of had a ring. Good job Buffalo!

694072[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding

As far as the lunacy suggesting Ralph made the call for the switch, that's the epitomy of reaching. Ralph loved the little guy....he was the man behind the ridiculous deal Flutie got in the offseason after the fluke season he had. Wade made the switch to Johnson for the final regular season game because he could get away with it without angering Ralph...cause we had everything sewn up. Johnson played well...quite the opposite of how Flutie played during the 99 season. Ralph gave the OK after seeing what a QB was supposed to play like again since he hadn't seen it on his team consistently since Kelly was playing.

1986, the Bears were the defending SB champs and just finished a 14-2 season. Flutie's only start was the meaningless last game of year. Based on that performance and to the dismay of the Bears players, Ditka named DF the starter in the playoffs over a healthy Mike Tomczak. Flutie had a terrible game, and the defending champs were out of the playoffs.

Fast forward 20+ years.

In 1999, RJ plays well in the meaningless last game of the year where the Bills finish the seaon 11-5. Based on his play in that game and to the dismay of Bills players, RJ is named the starter in the playoffs. The Bills lose the playoff game.

Poetic justice is not the Bills losing, but the fact DF got benched for the playoffs based on another players performance in a meaningless game, just like DF got the start in a playoff game based on his performance in a meaningless game.

695517[/snapback]

Not quite right, McMahoon went down with ian season ending njury in game 12. The next three games Tomczak and Steve Fuller did nothing to deserve to be the outright starter. Ditka went with a hunch and started Flutie. In 1999 Flutie was clearly the starter for the entire season and was healthy.

LOL that's like saying what has Peyton Manning done to help is team that Bubby Brister hasn't aside from throwing the football? Again, it amazes me how much of a bum you realize JPL is, yet you can't give rightful credit to a QB like Flutie, who just plain won (despite his physical limitations). A few things he did:

He utilized Moulds and put him on the map. Up until that point, Moulds was an underutilized first round bust. Enter Flutie -- who trusted him and used him as his main target, resulting in Moulds becoming a bona fide #1 receiver. (Note: Flutie didn't "scramble" the ball to him, he actually had to throw the ball to him).

He compensated for a horrible offensive line. He allowed the Bills to continue winning despite a horrid line because of his agility.

Often times, he single-handedly converted 3rd downs because of his scrambling ability and that provided the team with 2 major beneifts: (1) Drives lasted longer and we were able to put points on the board. (2) The defense remained fresh with increased time of possession.

Scrambling was a huge part of his game that directly resulted in wins for the Bills... to take that out of the equation would not be fair.

Other than scrambling, precisely what is it that Flutie did to help his team win, that Brister didn't do?

696436[/snapback]

Not quite right, McMahoon went down with ian season ending njury in game 12.  The next three games Tomczak and Steve Fuller did nothing to deserve to be the outright starter. Ditka went with a hunch and started Flutie. In 1999 Flutie was clearly the starter for the entire season and was healthy.

696455[/snapback]

Still not quite right. In 1986, Jimmy was the starter. I believe Fuller was second string and Tomczak was third (could be the other way around wih those two). Jimmy was injured in the opener and struggled to stay in the line up for the rest of his year. And if I'm not mistaken, Steve also ended up injured. Regardless, Tomczak ended up getting significant playing time (Mike finished the season with more passing yards than Jimmy, and the Bears credit Mike with 7 wins and no losses. Jimmy is credited with 6 wins and no losses, leaving Fuller no wins and two lossses.

Bears QB Starting Records Take a peek at page 2).

After game 12, Jimmy was put on IR (after getting pile drived into the turf during the game), Fuller was still nagged by injury, leaving just Mike as his only healthy QB. So Ditka traded for Flutie.

Yes, Mike was unspectacular as the starter, but given the Bears strong defense, he was 7-0 as the starter (Hmm. Strong D, Weak O, but winning record. Sound familiar?). 7-0 sounds like a good reason to start the playoff game. Looks like Tomczak got screwed out of starting in the playoffs, because Flutie had a good game in the meaningless last game of the year. Ditka's "hunch" was DF would spark the Offense. (That also sounds familiar).

Funny, some people want to believe DF got shafted by the Bills, but somehow, these same people will attempt to lead you to believe DF earned his chance to start in Chicago.

Still not quite right. In 1986, Jimmy was the starter. I believe Fuller was second string and Tomczak was third (could be the other way around wih those two). Jimmy was injured in the opener and struggled to stay in the line up for the rest of his year. And if I'm not mistaken, Steve also ended up injured. Regardless, Tomczak ended up getting significant playing time (Mike finished the season with more passing yards than Jimmy, and the Bears credit Mike with 7 wins and no losses. Jimmy is credited with 6 wins and no losses, leaving Fuller no wins and two lossses.

Bears  QB Starting Records Take a peek at page 2).

After game 12, Jimmy was put on IR (after getting pile drived into the turf during the game), Fuller  was still nagged by injury, leaving just Mike as his only healthy QB. So Ditka traded for Flutie.

Yes, Mike was unspectacular as the starter, but given the Bears strong defense, he was 7-0 as the starter (Hmm. Strong D, Weak O, but winning record. Sound familiar?). 7-0 sounds like a good reason to start the playoff game. Looks like Tomczak got screwed out of starting in the playoffs, because Flutie had a good game in the meaningless last game of the year. Ditka's "hunch" was DF would spark the Offense. (That also sounds familiar).

Funny, some people want to believe DF got shafted by the Bills, but somehow, these same people will attempt to lead you to believe DF earned his chance to start in Chicago.

696745[/snapback]

1986 Bears

The Bears 86 season ended 4-0, with Flutie playing in part of the games so there was more than 1 game for Ditka to make his playoff starter decision.

As I have said many times before, If Flutie was such a great QB, How come no one has brought him in to be the starter since Buffalo and the one year in San Diego? All of his accomplishments have come as being the back up for a team. Is there something almost every team has missed that keeps him from being the starting QB and making him play in the CFL?

HE had a couple good years, nothing to make him HOF worthy, and nothing that is going to make me believe he ranks anywhere near the top NFL QB in the past 10 years. Unless his clip board holding skills were really that great.

He is best know for a couple of gadget style plays and for being too short to play but trying to prove everybody wrong. His biggest accomplishments were a hail mary pass in college and a drop kick. The media loves him cause he is an underdog so every time he starts they start gushing over him for "Overcoming the odds and proving the doubters wrong, he is not too short to play"