TKO looks good physically!

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#050706

Spikes Looking Good: By all accounts Takeo Spikes looks real good at minicamp. Of course he's not practicing at this time but he's doing some light running on the side and looks ahead of schedule in recovering from his Achilles Tendon injury. He said physically he's ready, it's all mental now. He needs to get on the field and not have to think about the injury. He hopes to hit the field when training camp begins.

Very good news. He's almost back. :w00t:

This is the best possible news about the situation as of now. Having Spikes back on the field is going to be a huge boost to this new young defense. I hope he can perform at the level we're used to seeing from him and I hope that his attitude towards the game and his commitment to the Buffalo Bills rubs off on some of the new guys, and on Nate. He could use a little dose of "team player' when he's thinking about signing his new deal.

Try not to have expectations up too high.

Usually players take a full playing season to get back to where they were.

Still, a 80% Spikes on the field is a huge upgrade. :w00t:

This is the best possible news about the situation as of now.  Having Spikes back on the field is going to be a huge boost to this new young defense.  I hope he can perform at the level we're used to seeing from him and I hope that his attitude towards the game and his commitment to the Buffalo Bills rubs off on some of the new guys, and on Nate.  He could use a little dose of "team player' when he's thinking about signing his new deal.

685741[/snapback]

Give me a break, that's a stupid remark about Nate needing a dose of "team player"

He could have held out til just before the opener. I swear, we could have players like the Dolphins who are criminals and pieces of sh-- in the real world...then what would you say? I was just thinking the other day that i'm glad our players don't cause trouble or get arrested or fight police officers drunk in the street.

The NFL is a business, teams aren't loyal to players...they can cut them anytime...i think it's you that needs a "little dose" of reality.

I find it a bit odd that Spikes said this about the new Defense:

When asked what he thought of what he’s seen of the new defense, Spikes had an interesting response.

“It’s hard to tell. I’m frustrated,” he said. “Hopefully we get everything together as far as understanding the concept (of the new defense).”

But Donte Whitner said this:

"The defense is pretty simple," Whitner said. "We're trying to fine-tune it, watch some film and talking to the coaches and, you know, just keep learning."

Hopefully Spikes is just frustrated because he's not able to run the defense yet, not that he is confused by it.

I wouldn't worry about TKO's ability to pick up a scheme. He's too much a student of the game to be confused. I think he meant that he's frustrated that he can't be out there fully participating in it. He wants out there in the worst way and I think that's testing him. I think camp is going to be critical time for him becaust the temptation to overdo it is going to be enormous. Judging by the article I read about him in Sports Illustrated, it was a huge test of his patience not to overdo it a couple of days after the surgery. I also like that he mentioned he's going to

"straighten out" a few Patriots players, who apparently were pushing around some of our players on defense. Apparently he's big on field "etiquette" and is anxious to "remind" some of the Patriots players of that. I can't wait for our first game with them! I'm going to be watching for TKO's "reminders" :(

I find it a bit odd that Spikes said this about the new Defense:

When asked what he thought of what he’s seen of the new defense, Spikes had an interesting response.

“It’s hard to tell. I’m frustrated,” he said. “Hopefully we get everything together as far as understanding the concept (of the new defense).”

685785[/snapback]

Well, when he last played, Gray was lining him up at the line on 10% of the plays. The new defense sounds a bit different.... He also may have been frustrated with the young players not picking up the new defense immediately. There's no indication he was having trouble understanding.

I wouldn't worry about TKO's ability to pick up a scheme.  He's too much a student of the game to be confused.  I think he meant that he's frustrated that he can't be out there fully participating in it.  He wants out there in the worst way and I think that's testing him.

From the sounds of Chris Brown's wrapup, I think you nailed it:

SPIKES A TUNED-IN SPECTATOR

Takeo Spikes was watching all weekend, but was busy doing rehab work Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

He wanted to attend this camp to get some mental pictures of how this defense is going to work. Spikes knows not being on the field will make his transition to defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's 'Tampa-2' system a bit more difficult from the standpoint of footwork.

"As you get older and spend time in the game you understand the concepts of certain defenses, but there are certain techniques that you miss out on," said Spikes. "It's going to be more challenging for me because I'm not able at this point in time to go out there and go through the steps with the rest of the guys. So mentally I want to be as strong as possible."

To accomplish that, Spikes was often seen standing ten yards behind the linebackers playing in the scheme during walk-through to get a mental picture of a play call unfolding.

BuffaloBills.com: Bills Rookie Camp Recap

Guest dog14787
spikes is a very heady player, he'll pick up the D in short order.

spikes gets me so jacked up i end up kicking my mom in the face!

685833[/snapback]

:(