Creationists are Pagans!

The Vatican's Star Gazer, Brother Guy Consolmagno, says "creationism" is "a kind of paganism."

[Vatican astronomer] Brother Consolmagno argued that the Christian God was a supernatural one, a belief that had led the clergy in the past to become involved in science to seek natural reasons for phenomena such as thunder and lightning, which had been previously attributed to vengeful gods. "Knowledge is dangerous, but so is ignorance. That's why science and religion need to talk to each other," he said.

"Religion needs science to keep it away from superstition and keep it close to reality, to protect it from creationism, which at the end of the day is a kind of paganism - it's turning God into a nature god. And science needs religion in order to have a conscience, to know that, just because something is possible, it may not be a good thing to do."

Can I get an "Amen" for Brother Guy!

Looks like it's the scientists who are really giving mad props to the Lord. Every time we come up with a significant, "natural world" explanation for some up-to-that-point mysterious phenomenon, we're really just proving how freaking awesome the Big Guy (or Gal) really is. I'm down with that.

So stop blaming the Dude for your hurricanes, rain of frogs, and locust plagues. He's not behind any of it, and shame on you damn pagans for saying so.

The Vatican's Star Gazer, Brother Guy Consolmagno, says "creationism" is "a kind of paganism."

Looks like it's the scientists who are really giving mad props to the Lord.  Every time we come up with a significant, "natural world" explanation for some up-to-that-point mysterious phenomenon, we're really just proving how freaking awesome the Big Guy (or Gal) really is.  I'm down with that. 

So stop blaming the Dude for your hurricanes, rain of frogs, and locust plagues.  He's not behind any of it, and shame on you damn pagans for saying so.

684490[/snapback]

:lol:

As much as I agree...hearing the Vatican say it is giving me one of those "That's it, I quit, someone pick me up and take me back to my home planet" moments.

Looks like it's the scientists who are really giving mad props to the Lord.  Every time we come up with a significant, "natural world" explanation for some up-to-that-point mysterious phenomenon, we're really just proving how freaking awesome the Big Guy (or Gal) really is.  I'm down with that. 

So stop blaming the Dude for your hurricanes, rain of frogs, and locust plagues.  He's not behind any of it, and shame on you damn pagans for saying so.

684490[/snapback]

Well stated.

Well stated.

684685[/snapback]

The Bible actually says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust, it would stand to reason that the same could be said of any weather or natural disaster.

1 Kings 19: 11-12 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

I think we attribute weather phenomena to the Lord, when He prefers the still smallvoice.

684490[/snapback]

i thought we've evolved to a point where everyone understood those aren't God's fault

it's George W Bush's

Actually, Joseph Ratzinger's homilies on Creation are remarkably progressive.

If you think you have the Catholic Creation account pigeon-holed, this is a stunning read. Ratzinger has a Bonaventurian approach to creation.

"In the Beginning"

Yes, I am currently bummed I missed the International Medieval Congress in Kalamazoo this year.