Sick bastards @ Yahoo News

GG

In posting the Reuters story about the bomb that killed 34 children, Yahoo added a picture of a laughing Allawi on the side bar.

That is sickening editorial judgement.

Have a nice day

51039[/snapback]

I think (by no means sure, but it'd pretty much be industry standard) their pages are constructed by calling a variety of separate scripts: one goes out and grabs the story, one grabs the pictures, one grabs the advertisements, etc., and none talk to the others.

In other words, that which inserted the pictures and that which inserted the story into the page had no idea what the overall content was. That a laughing Allawi got inserted into a page with a car bombing is just random bad luck.

I think (by no means sure, but it'd pretty much be industry standard) their pages are constructed by calling a variety of separate scripts: one goes out and grabs the story, one grabs the pictures, one grabs the advertisements, etc., and none talk to the others. 

In other words, that which inserted the pictures and that which inserted the story into the page had no idea what the overall content was.  That a laughing Allawi got inserted into a page with a car bombing is just random bad luck.

51047[/snapback]

Not fully sold on that. There's someone in charge of QC that the right images go with the story.

There's got to be a conspiracy somewhere in there.

Not fully sold on that.  There's someone in charge of QC that the right images go with the story.

There's got to be a conspiracy somewhere in there.

51060[/snapback]

They probably have some sort of category-keyword-matching lexicography going, then. "Allawi" was in the story, so it goes out and displays a picture of Allawi. Same with Rush Limbaugh and Vicadin. Now, when I check the story, the picture of some Canadian reporter shows up, and Allawi's picture is buried behind that and two others. Check again in a couple of hours, and it'll probably be even more buried.

The bottom line, though, is that I think it's a technical issue and not an editorial one. It looks to me like a very basic keyword-matching algorithm that puts the most recent "Iraq" picture with "Iraq" stories.