Whitner/Ravens

Peter King's interview, said the Donte would of been there at 15. The Lions wanted Hawk or Simms with the 9th pick. The Ravens wanted Donte if Nagota was not there at their pick, this was discussed with the Jets about a possible trade. Only the Doplfins where interested in a safety and they had nothing to trade up with. Denver did offer the 15th pick and a 2nd and 4th to move. Peter said the the Bills got a good player but should of taken the chance to get him and other picks. He said that the Bills got fixed on Donte and maybe a little mislead by some of the rumors about what teams wanted. Because of being picked a 8th, Donte will have to live up to much more pressure. He can not be just good he will have to be probowl good. peter said that he was 98% sure that he would of been there and if not then they would of collected a lot more high choices that could of helped the Bills. he said sometimes you have to gamble.

Peter King's interview, said the Donte would of been there at 15. The Lions wanted Hawk or Simms with the 9th pick. The Ravens wanted Donte if Nagota was not there at their pick, this was discussed with the Jets about a possible trade. Only the Doplfins where interested in a safety and they had nothing to trade up with. Denver did offer the 15th pick and a 2nd and 4th to move. Peter said the the Bills got a good player but should of taken the chance to get him and other picks. He said that the Bills got fixed on Donte and maybe a little mislead by some of the rumors about what teams wanted. Because of being picked a 8th, Donte will have to live up to much more pressure. He can not be just good he will have to be probowl good. peter said that he was 98% sure that he would of been there and if not then they would of collected a lot more high choices that could of helped the Bills. he said sometimes you have to gamble.

683633[/snapback]

Peter King is just another know-it-all guru who would do well to keep his fat trap shut. That Boston-lover drives me nuts.

Exactly. The worst case scenario in taking a gamble and moving down is you still get a very good starting-caliber player for the defense PLUS additional second and fourth round picks.

This was a botched draft.

683633[/snapback]

Exactly.  The worst case scenario in taking a gamble and moving down is you still get a very good starting-caliber player for the defense PLUS additional second and fourth round picks.

683646[/snapback]

Didn't the Giants take the exact strategy with McCargo? Moving down figuring he'd be there at 32....? They ended up with a potentially good player but not at their area of need...

Exactly.  The worst case scenario in taking a gamble and moving down is you still get a very good starting-caliber player for the defense PLUS additional second and fourth round picks.

683646[/snapback]

If Peter King is right... here's an alternative draft for the Bills...

1. Donte Whitner

1. John McCargo

2. Charles Spencer / Claude Wroten / Darryl Tapp (take your pick with Denver's 2nd)

3. Ashton Youboty

4. Ko Simpson

4. Kyle Williams / Anthony Montgomery (Denver's 4th is just a few picks before 5th round... personally I would've taken Montgomery over Kyle b/c of higher upside, but Kyle has that leadership quality and character that we respect, and the Bills need one high motor white guy in every draft...)

5. Ryan O'Callaghan (gets push in the running game instead of low upside, cheapshot Butler)

5. Mark Anderson (need pass rushing prospect)

6. Keith Ellison

7. Rodrique Wright / Erik Meyer (seventh rounder is used for taking flyers on high upside)

7. Charlton Keith (need a pass rushing prospect, high upside)

This would be an A+ draft. If Peter King is right, we should've taken that trade with Denver.

They may have been targeting McCargo, I was not aware of that. But let's look closer at what they did. They had McCargo rated as a late first round / early second round choice -- hence, they made the trade.

The Giants traded its first-round (No. 25) pick to Pittsburgh for the Steelers' first- (No. 32), third- (No. 96) and fourth-round (No. 129) picks. Pittsburgh selected Santonio Holmes, wr, Ohio State. New York selected Mathias Kiwanuka, de, Boston College, Gerris Wilkinson, lb, Georgia Tech and Guy Whimper, g, East Carolina.

Maybe the Giants made a mistake but they came out of it with a solid pass rusher and some depth at offensive line and linebacker. For a team like the Bills, with numerous holes, they should have been more aggressive about acquiring more picks, NOT giving them up. The Giants are a playoff contender and they can and should target specific players they feel will get over the hump. The Bills, on the other hand, should make use of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and add players who will serve as the team's core for years to come. Just look what they were able to do in the mid rounds -- Ko Simpson, Youboty, the butcher knife guy... all GREAT value picks.

Didn't the Giants take the exact strategy with McCargo?  Moving down figuring he'd be there at 32....?

683650[/snapback]

Not to mention the Giants taking McCargo is more hearsay along the lines of the Ravens taking Whitner...

I don't think McCargo was a reach, though. Any team that prefers small and quick along their defensive line probably had McCargo as a first round prospect.

They may have been targeting McCargo, I was not aware of that.  But let's look closer at what they did.  They had McCargo rated as a late first round / early second round choice -- hence, they made the trade.

The Giants traded its first-round (No. 25) pick to Pittsburgh for the Steelers' first- (No. 32), third- (No. 96) and fourth-round (No. 129) picks. Pittsburgh selected Santonio Holmes, wr, Ohio State. New York selected Mathias Kiwanuka, de, Boston College, Gerris Wilkinson, lb, Georgia Tech and Guy Whimper, g, East Carolina.

Maybe the Giants made a mistake but they came out of it with a solid pass rusher and some depth at offensive line and linebacker.  For a team like the Bills, with numerous holes, they should have been more aggressive about acquiring more picks, NOT giving them up.  The Giants are a playoff contender and they can and should target specific players they feel will get over the hump.  The Bills, on the other hand, should make use of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and add players who will serve as the team's core for years to come.  Just look what they were able to do in the mid rounds -- Ko Simpson, Youboty, the butcher knife guy... all GREAT value picks.

683667[/snapback]

683646[/snapback]

I don't disagree with you. There is a VERY GOOD chance the Bills could've been more aggressive and could have come away with a few more players who could seriously help this team.

That being said, it's Levy's first draft, and it was a critical draft for the Bills - it could be argued that Levy couldn't afford to gamble and lose in the 2006 draft. I do NOT give him a free pass, he deserves some criticism for playing it too conservative. I expect that he'll learn from this and do better next time. However, let's be honest - he came away with some *potentially* great players - I think this draft has the potential to be better, as a whole, than any of Donahoe's drafts. There were certainly no "luxury" picks (a la Parrish, McGahee), even if important needs weren't addressed (the o-line). I just can't get too worked up about the fact that Levy decided not to gamble this time around. If the same thing happens next year, I'll be first in line with my torch.

I don't disagree with you.  There is a VERY GOOD chance the Bills could've been more aggressive and could have come away with a few more players who could seriously help this team.

That being said, it's Levy's first draft, and it was a critical draft for the Bills - it could be argued that Levy couldn't afford to gamble and lose in the 2006 draft.  I do NOT give him a free pass, he deserves some criticism for playing it too conservative.  I expect that he'll learn from this and do better next time.  However, let's be honest - he came away with some *potentially* great players - I think this draft has the potential to be better, as a whole, than any of Donahoe's drafts.  There were certainly no "luxury" picks (a la Parrish, McGahee), even if important needs weren't addressed (the o-line).  I just can't get too worked up about the fact that Levy decided not to gamble this time around.  If the same thing happens next year, I'll be first in line with my torch.

683682[/snapback]

Up to the last sentence, ditto.

683633[/snapback]

What a goof!

Like he actually knows how to talk to and interview people!

:blush:

I expect that he'll learn from this and do better next time. 

683682[/snapback]

Excellent!... We got an 80-year-old first-year GM on a learning curve! In a few years, he might just completely figure it out! :blush:

Seriously though, I like most of Marv's moves thus far. But he screwed the pooch in the first round.

Yeah, we need to stop this obsession with the Ravens and Whitner.  Let's shut up about it immediately.  It has NEVER been shown nor will it EVER be shown that the Ravens preferred Whitner over Ngata, so we should stop looking for it.

Does anyone REALLY think that:

(1) Any coach or GM would publicly state that he preferred another player over the one he drafted?  Billick would never say that.

(2) Ngata wasn't Baltimore's #1 choice after Ray Lewis' offseason complaints about not being protected enough?

If you believe (2), you should not believe (1).  Repeat: there will never be proof that the Ravens would have drafted Whitner had the Bills traded down past them. (There will never be proof that they wouldn't have drafted him either)

The Buffalo Bills drafted Donte Whitner at #8 overall.  While I seriously doubt that he would have been taken before 14 by another team had we not drafted him, he's going to be a good player and possibly great.  Unlike many players in the first round, he doesn't have a high bustability factor so he should at least be good.  Let's live with that and stop being sissies looking for validation from Detroit or Baltimore or some other team.

683277[/snapback]

This reply would best be served if directed at the babies crying about "value".