So, all this underclassman stuff...

I've been thinking on it (yes, I do that on occassion). I sort of like the method here.

See some real talent, that needs training and polishing. Is it better to get them into an NFL system early and groom for your own needs? Or let them play an additional year in their college system and watch their draft stock rise where you probably won't get them?

Gamble? Perhaps. But if the talent and ability is there, is that extra college season that crucial? Maybe not. And one gets some possibly very solid players at NFL bargain prices.

I like our moves. I agree that we got a couple raw, unpolished players with room to improve. The ceiling for guys like Youboty and Simpson are probably much higher than any other players picked around the same time.

If we are confident that our coaches can bring them to the next level, then we really could have gotten some serious steals.

I like this draft and love this strategy for the long term. :lol:

For the short term though (i.e. next year), I still see a strong possibility/probability that the 2 weakest starters IMO on last year's team (both Andersons) are still starting.... and that's disappointing. :lol: I really hope Reyes is the man at LG and the new system helps TA.

I like this draft and love this strategy for the long term. :lol:

For the short term though (i.e. next year), I still see a strong possibility/probability that the 2 weakest starters IMO on last year's team (both Andersons) are still starting.... and that's disappointing. :lol: I really hope Reyes is the man at LG and the new system helps TA.

677876[/snapback]

Reyes will Start at LG over Anderson... :lol:

I've been thinking on it (yes, I do that on occassion). I sort of like the method here.

See some real talent, that needs training and polishing. Is it better to get them into an NFL system early and groom for your own needs? Or let them play an additional year in their college system and watch their draft stock rise where you probably won't get them?

Gamble? Perhaps. But if the talent and ability is there, is that extra college season that crucial? Maybe not. And one gets some possibly very solid players at NFL bargain prices.

677850[/snapback]

I agree. I really kinda like this philosophy. And I've always thought this would be a "build for the future" draft and not a "get players that will start and excell next year" draft.

However, I was hopeful we'd be getting linemen with potential that we could develop into starters for a few years. That's my only beef. I like the players we got, I like the philosohy, I just thought we'd target a different part of the team.

I agree. I really kinda like this philosophy.  And I've always thought this would be a "build for the future" draft and not a "get players that will start and excell next year" draft. 

However, I was hopeful we'd be getting linemen with potential that we could develop into starters for a few years.  That's my only beef.  I like the players we got, I like the philosohy, I just thought we'd target a different part of the team.

677923[/snapback]

Some of us were thinking build towards 2007 several months ago, and this draft makes a lot of sense in that regard. But, yeah, if you're going to develop somebody using that theory, get a lineman or two. I was sort of sad to see Jean-Gilles go to Philly. Wonder if he might have been on the radar? A lot of concerns there might have been covered with a good conditioning coach. The Dawgs games I've watched the last couple of years showed him to be a player.

I agree. I really kinda like this philosophy.  And I've always thought this would be a "build for the future" draft and not a "get players that will start and excell next year" draft. 

However, I was hopeful we'd be getting linemen with potential that we could develop into starters for a few years.  That's my only beef.  I like the players we got, I like the philosohy, I just thought we'd target a different part of the team.

677923[/snapback]

We may already have OL with potential to start already on the team in the form of Geisinger and Preston and Peters.

Exactly. Why not develop a few linemen? I've thought of this a draft to develop players. So I thought with 10 picks, we'd get players in a variety of positions - hopefully favoring the Oline, and then let them develop under the FA we've brought in.

All I can think is that, the consensus at OBD is that our line problems aren't as severe as we all think.

It just seems odd that the vast, vast majority of the fans and media analysts see one area of need and the coaching staff see something completely different. I understand they know our players better than anyone, but it just seems odd that there's such an apparent huge difference of opinion.

Some of us were thinking build towards 2007 several months ago, and this draft makes a lot of sense in that regard. But, yeah, if you're going to develop somebody using that theory, get a lineman or two. I was sort of sad to see Jean-Gilles go to Philly. Wonder if he might have been on the radar? A lot of concerns there might have been covered with a good conditioning coach. The Dawgs games I've watched the last couple of years showed him to be a player.

677936[/snapback]

Gilles is fat and slow- the opposite of what the new look Bills are all about.

This year's OL will look better because they will pull and trap and not be confined to running in the middle of the field.