Only 51% of eligible voters voted in 2000

Peter

On the radio this morning, I heard that only 51% of eligible voters actually voted in 2000.

Any predictions on what the turn out will be this time around?

P.S. It is pretty pathetic that only about half of us vote. That means that typically just over 25% of the eligible voters decide who will be President. Pathetic.

On the radio this morning, I heard that only 51% of eligible voters actually voted in 2000.

Any predictions on what the turn out will be this time around?

P.S.  It is pretty pathetic that only about half of us vote.  That means that typically just over 25% of the eligible voters decide who will be President.  Pathetic.

50066[/snapback]

Gee, couldnt' be becasue of the Duopoly on political power in this country, could it?

When there's no real choice, why choose?

Saw an article today that said that voter registration is at record highs.

In fact in Ohio registrations of Democrats is up 250% over 2000.

Naturally the GOP in Ohio has stepped in, decreeing that voter registration cards can ONLY be printed on 80 lb card stock. Anyone who receives a card NOT on 80 lb card stock will not be able to vote. So with 6 days left to register, people who wouldn't know paper stock from second base are supposed to re-register. This centers on the city centers where, naturally, many of the voters are lower-income registered Democrats.

I know paper stocks and 80 lb ain't cheap so I am sure that the bulk of them these days aren't printed on 80 lb. My TX card wasn't and neither was my WA card.

I have to admire their creativity. If you can't beat the vote, just stop it.

Naturally the GOP in Ohio has stepped in, decreeing that voter registration cards can ONLY be printed on 80 lb card stock.  Anyone who receives a card NOT on 80 lb card stock will not be able to vote.  So with 6 days left to register, people who wouldn't know paper stock from second base are supposed to re-register.  This centers on the city centers where, naturally, many of the voters are lower-income registered Democrats.

I know paper stocks and 80 lb ain't cheap so I am sure that the bulk of them these days aren't printed on 80 lb.  My TX card wasn't and neither was my WA card.

I have to admire their creativity.  If you can't beat the vote, just stop it.

50278[/snapback]

We'll leave the obvious question alone, of why any citizen over the age of 18 has not bothered to register until 30 days prior to the election at the thousands of places to register in Ohio.

But, I think it's rather disgusting that you can spout the idiocy of GOP mandating 80 lb card stock as a subtle nod to Jim Crow. Maybe Richio is behind all this.

Or are the Dem registrations up because of this?

We'll leave the obvious question alone, of why any citizen over the age of 18 has not bothered to register until 30 days prior to the election at the thousands of places to register in Ohio. 

But, I think it's rather disgusting that you can spout the idiocy of GOP mandating 80 lb card stock as a subtle nod to Jim Crow.  Maybe Richio is behind all this.

Or are the Dem registrations up because of this?

50296[/snapback]

First off, no-one said these people waited to register. Their CARDS are arriving. And why have deadlines? So in your books anyone who registers on the deadline is too late? What about all those people who mail their income taxes at 11:59 PM on April 15? That's what a deadline is for.

Second, I never mentioned Jim Crow. "Lower income city residents" are not necessarily of any one race, creed or color. You may be surprised. I lived in a city center amidst many lower-income city residents and they were a great diversity of ethnicities with one thing in common besides geography: low income, period.

Lastly, regarding the article, it could be either or both parties doing bogus registrations. It's a shame that zealots have to get so caught up that they break the law. In TX there were some really bad practices, for isntance the GOP-dominated election board (2 GOP, 1 Dem) would tell the Dem representative they'd meet at 10 am to review and certify the absentee ballots. The Dem would show up at 10 only to find that the GOP reps had been there "working" on them since 7 a.m. This is in Collin County, TX for anyone who's interested. And, unfortunately, it probably goes on in Democratic districts too.

But, it's hopefully a small percentage and the drive for voters is good news ONLY if they turn out to vote,.

First off, no-one said these people waited to register.  Their CARDS are arriving.  And why have deadlines?  So in your books anyone who registers on the deadline is too late?  What about all those people who mail their income taxes at 11:59 PM on April 15?  That's what a deadline is for.

Unless their birthday falls on October 2, 1986, they waited to register. Don't know about you, but even in the city of Buffalo, high schools provided voter registrations to kids who turned 18.

Your analogy to filing the tax on the last minute is too precious. Maybe we can find an MBA on this board who can tell us why you should wait to the last minute to pay someone without incurring a penalty.

Second, I never mentioned Jim Crow.  "Lower income city residents" are not necessarily of any one race, creed or color.  You may be surprised.  I lived in a city center amidst many lower-income city residents and they were a great diversity of ethnicities with one thing in common besides geography:  low income, period.

Thanks for clarifying the euphemism. It never dawned on me that it's really what you meant.

Lastly, regarding the article, it could be either or both parties doing bogus registrations. 

It could be, but the authorities are investigating two groups:

Lake election and law enforcement officials said their investigation is centered on absentee registration attempts by the nonpartisan NAACP's National Voter Fund and an anti-Bush, nonprofit group called Americans Coming Together, or ACT Ohio.

Of course by your definition, they could include a large number of GOP's as well.

It's a shame that zealots have to get so caught up that they break the law. 

It's a bigger shame that people continue to post drivel, no matter how many times their posts are exposed as drek.

Shes just spouting the local talking points of the week from the leftists. Ive heard the same line of black helicopter stevestojan on Air America and spouted by a few other leftist pundits. That is, the GOP and the Bushies are working to suppress the vote by taking advantage of minorities in different locales. Nevermind that it was proven that no voter fraud took place in FL in 2000. They are adding 2+2 and getting 20. Laughable.

Naturally the GOP in Ohio has stepped in, decreeing that voter registration cards can ONLY be printed on 80 lb card stock.  Anyone who receives a card NOT on 80 lb card stock will not be able to vote.  So with 6 days left to register, people who wouldn't know paper stock from second base are supposed to re-register.  This centers on the city centers where, naturally, many of the voters are lower-income registered Democrats.

I know paper stocks and 80 lb ain't cheap so I am sure that the bulk of them these days aren't printed on 80 lb.  My TX card wasn't and neither was my WA card.

I have to admire their creativity.  If you can't beat the vote, just stop it.

50278[/snapback]

you ride a short bus to school don't you?

Yeah, right. They have 2.5 TIMES more Dems as four years ago? Care to explain how that is logically possible?

If 50% of Dems registerd in 2000, that would make an increase of 50*2.5 = 125%, for a grand total of 175% of Democrats are now registered. Impressive....I guess that's how Kennedy won in Illinois in 1960.

I'm guessing you got to opt out of the math class in that MBA program. Logic class too.