Gas Taxation - Check Your State

Oh... Heating fuel is basically diesel... If you heat with oil, just throw that into you VW.

B-)  :huh:

671971[/snapback]

Hey, I've spent a couple cold winters in Germany, with the D-Mark real, real low.

I won't lie that I took a few 5 gallon cans off the trucks and tanks. I wasn't the only one.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12519975/

Exxon earned 9.5 cents on every $1 of gasoline and oil sold, cashing in on skyrocketing prices at every stage of the process.

State and Federal Taxes in NYS combine to $.629 on the gallon (the highest in the nation). The government makes more than twice the profit of Big Oil!! Where's the outrage? Where are the calls for gouging?

Meanwhile you have Schumer all over tv telling the American people he is going to get down to the bottom of high oil prices, making sure the big oil companies are sticking in to the people...

Exxon earned 9.5 cents on every $1 of gasoline and oil sold, cashing in on skyrocketing prices at every stage of the process.

State and Federal Taxes in NYS combine to $.629 on the gallon (the highest in the nation).  The government makes more than twice the profit of Big Oil!! Where's the outrage? Where are the calls for gouging?

Meanwhile you have Schumer all over tv telling the American people he is going to get down to the bottom of high oil prices, making sure the big oil companies are sticking in to the people...

673170[/snapback]

Big Oil Bad!!

673170[/snapback]

Horseshit. No one maintains a 10% net margin in a competitive volume business like gas sales. I've bet a tank of gas that someone divided Exxon's profit last quarter by the dollar amount of gasoline sold to get that number, without even considering whether or not that profit was actually generated by gas sales. In other words, someone divided nine billion in profit by gasoline revenue, not total revenue. Just because...well, because they're not reporting news, they're pushing an agenda of "Big Oil Bad".

But he kept those dirty stinkin' Arabs out of our ports.

Regardless of whether Big Bad Oil is sticking it to us or not, it's a free market economy. We cannot start regulating every business to ensure they don't make too much money. I am sure noone cares when they lose money.

If you don't like it find alternative transportation, get a hybrid, or find another way not to have to buy so much, that will reduce the cost through the age old marketing concept of supply and demand.

no need for hybrid prices

just check out the Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit

both are dirt cheap, look decent and get 35/40 mpg

For the past few years, car shoppers looking for an inexpensive new car at a Toyota dealership would have been gently guided to the Echo. Had we been there, we would have whispered in those shoppers' ears, "Friends don't let friends drive Echos." Thankfully, it's been cut from the 2006 team roster and its replacement, the all-new 2007 Toyota Yaris, is a better vehicle in just about every regard.Though the Toyota Yaris will be new to Americans, the 2007 model will actually be the start of the car's second generation. A first-generation Yaris was available in other markets, and it was Toyota's best-selling car in Europe. The 2007 Yaris is available as a two-door hatchback (named Liftback) and a four-door sedan. It is situated below the Corolla in Toyota's model lineup hierarchy and as such, is meant to appeal to the young and/or money-conscious consumer.

The Fit is already an established and popular vehicle in Japan and Europe (where it's sold as the Honda Jazz). We suspect that success will follow it here, too.

In WA a big tax was added in 2004-5 which kicks in this year I think (who could tell with rising prices). When gas prices soared the last time, the Republicans managed to get a proposition onto the ballot to repeal the tax but it was soundly defeated. Although the traffic here is crummy overall people do tend to use alternate methods of transportation or they, like me, are sensible about their driving. I don't "run to the store" unless it's an emergency, I ride a van pool to work (my company pays) and I fill my tanks up every 2-3 weeks as a result. I realize everyone doesn't have the transportation resources I do, but even people who live out in the boonies and have to drive everywhere could conserve fuel by just planning their driving routes a little better.

Regardless of whether Big Bad Oil is sticking it to us or not, it's a free market economy.  We cannot start regulating every business to ensure they don't make too much money.  I am sure noone cares when they lose money. 

If you don't like it find alternative transportation, get a hybrid, or find another way not to have to buy so much, that will reduce the cost through the age old marketing concept of supply and demand.

674118[/snapback]

Investing in an energy index mutual fund is also not a bad way to hedge your bets. Anyone who did so 18 months ago is most assuredly very pleased with that decision.

State and Federal Taxes in NYS combine to $.629 on the gallon (the highest in the nation).  The government makes more than twice the profit of Big Oil!! Where's the outrage? Where are the calls for gouging?

673170[/snapback]

How much does it cost to pave a mile a concrete interstate?... Bridge work??? Maint?... Now you gotta police it once it is up and running...

Manage the work... Ever been to a third world country?

And so on... I bet it is more than refining?

How much does it cost to pave a mile a concrete interstate?... Bridge work???  Maint?...  Now you gotta police it once it is up and running...

Manage the work... Ever been to a third world country?

And so on... I bet it is more than refining?

681008[/snapback]

Does Alabama count?

In that tier... Only WV counts... :angry:  :doh:

Third world country with better than first world roads... Thank you Sen. Byrd!!!

:lol:  :P

681019[/snapback]

Overall, no. I've been to more than a few where it's still a surprise to find paving 5 miles out of town. That said, some urban areas have decent road infrastructure mostly because it's relatively new. Sometimes better than one would find in a comparable US city.