Reggie Bush's family received $$$$$

djh

Yet another example of NCAA's double standard. Just how many people would pack the LA Colloseum if you and I lined up as RBs? Probably as many as watch NCAA badminton.

At times, I understand the frustration of the athletes. They play a sport that can earn an AD millions of dollars, and in exchange they get about $75K+ worth of tuition, room and board, and if they're really good, a chance to play said sport for millions of dollars.

And then I think back on my summers spent as a mason's apprentice where I got next to nothing (but I learned a sh--load) and I suddenly feel less sympathetic.

Someone should tell these brats to GROW UP!

At times, I understand the frustration of the athletes. They play a sport that can earn an AD millions of dollars, and in exchange they get about $75K+ worth of tuition, room and board, and if they're really good, a chance to play said sport for millions of dollars.

And then I think back on my summers spent as a mason's apprentice where I got next to nothing (but I learned a sh--load) and I suddenly feel less sympathetic.

Someone should tell these brats to GROW UP!

668368[/snapback]

Did thousands of people show up to watch you mase and pay $50 each?

You say that now, but just out of curiosity, how many people are still tweaked about LeBron James' Humvee?

His what?

Exactly.

668376[/snapback]

Not quite sure if there are any sanctions you can level against someone in high school

Yet another example of NCAA's double standard.  Just how many people would pack the LA Colloseum if you and I lined up as RBs?  Probably as many as watch NCAA badminton.

668341[/snapback]

I don't understand the whining about the NCAA system. Works like a charm. For the vast majority of athletes, a scholarship is a damn good reward. For the few extraordinary athletes that rich boosters are willing to pay for, like Bush, all they have to be is smart enough to be discrete about their extra rewards. Of course, it would be swell if college players had a union, went on strike so the backup kicker could get his scholarship PLUS $50,000 in pay, wouldn't it? The system works just fine, IMO.

I don't understand the whining about the NCAA system.  Works like a charm.  For the vast majority of athletes, a scholarship is a damn good reward.  For the few extraordinary athletes that rich boosters are willing to pay for, like Bush, all they have to be is smart enough to be discrete about their extra rewards.  Of course, it would be swell if college players had a union, went on strike so the backup kicker could get his scholarship PLUS $50,000 in pay, wouldn't it?  The system works just fine, IMO.

668385[/snapback]

yeah - all college players should drop out and go play in Europe :)

I don't understand the whining about the NCAA system.  Works like a charm.  For the vast majority of athletes, a scholarship is a damn good reward.  For the few extraordinary athletes that rich boosters are willing to pay for, like Bush, all they have to be is smart enough to be discrete about their extra rewards.  Of course, it would be swell if college players had a union, went on strike so the backup kicker could get his scholarship PLUS $50,000 in pay, wouldn't it?  The system works just fine, IMO.

668385[/snapback]

So, you're totally fine with a black market system where the successful athletes generate all the attention and the revenues that benefit the 90% of other athletes, as long as they stay underground? How can you say that something works, when they have to hide?

How about acknowledging what is really going on, and letting the star college athletes actually participate in some of that revenue pie?

The NFL has a nice deal. The NCAA is a great farm system for which the league doesn't have to pay a dime, unlike hockey & baseball.