Interesting Quote from Marv

And my point isn't that Detroit and St. Louis have absolutely no chance of drafting Cutler... hell, the Bills might even draft him, we just can't be sure of anything. BUT... my point is the signs don't point to the Lions and Rams being in a battle with Arizona to draft Cutler. I don't think any of the teams drafting directly behind us wants him so bad as to trade up to get him.

How can you say this when the RAMS OWN WEBPAGE says Cutler is "a serious consideration"

And how can you possibly think the lions are happy with the future of their quarterback position? I'll say it again, Kitna will be 34 years old by opening day. McCown is...well McCown and Harrington is going to be cut or traded. They need a quarterback. Period.

Yes, buffalo is also in this list. Like it or not. Though I think its less likely because losman is not yet a "bust".

Keep in mind, there doesnt need to be a team that wants to move up ahead of arizona, only the perception that there is. Arizona can move up one spot as well if they think detroit or someone will try to leapfrog them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And my point isn't that Detroit and St. Louis have absolutely no chance of drafting Cutler... hell, the Bills might even draft him, we just can't be sure of anything.  BUT... my point is the signs don't point to the Lions and Rams being in a battle with Arizona to draft Cutler.  I don't think any of the teams drafting directly behind us wants him so bad as to trade up to get him.

667615[/snapback]

the best chance of a trade is if Vince Young falls to Bills because RAiders take Huff or Ngata and Davis goes to SF.

How can you say this when the RAMS OWN WEBPAGE says Cutler is "a serious consideration"

And how can you possibly think the lions are happy with the future of their quarterback position?  I'll say it again, Kitna will be 34 years old by opening day.  McCown is...well McCown and Harrington is going to be cut or traded.  They need a quarterback. Period. 

Yes, buffalo is also in this list.  Like it or not.  Though I think its less likely because losman is not yet a "bust". 

Keep in mind, there doesnt need to be a team that wants to move up ahead of arizona, only the perception that there is.  Arizona can move up one spot as well if they think detroit or someone will try to leapfrog them.

667624[/snapback]

"Serious consideration" is way too vague to take anything from it. Also, I'm not sure we should believe the Rams webpage on who they're going to draft. I can see why they MIGHT be interested, I don't see why they're so desperate as to trade up to get him.

Ruben was drafted as a LT.

They moved him to G to get him in the lineup immeditely.

667623[/snapback]

I think he played LT at Pittsburgh, but I don't know if he was drafted to play that position with the Bills. They had drafted John Fina in R1 a couple of years earlier and if memory serves he had been a starter for a year.

I'm not really expecting them to trade down exactly 4 spots.  If it happens,  they'll probably have to trade down into the 15-20 range to really make it worthwhile for both the Bills and the other team involved.  I think all of the players listed are mid-to-late 1st round picks. 

667619[/snapback]

Right, but as far as the person he is talking about, he said 4 spots. Either that was just a rough approximation, or he is talking about someone that he expects to go at 12 or 13.

Right, but as far as the person he is talking about, he said 4 spots.  Either that was just a rough approximation, or he is talking about someone that he expects to go at 12 or 13.

667632[/snapback]

You can read it a couple of ways. I read it to mean that Marv believes that the window where this player will start to become an option for some teams is around pick 12. Not necessarily that he'll be selected that high (although he could be), but that's where his value starts to match up with opposing teams' needs. That sounds like someone most have rated as a mid-1st rounder and that's why I think they're looking at someone that none of us are mentioning.

I think he played LT at Pittsburgh,  but I don't know if he was drafted to play that position with the Bills.  They had drafted John Fina in R1 a couple of years earlier and if memory serves he had been a starter for a year.

667630[/snapback]

Fina was drafted as a center and the plan was to move him there, but Ruben couldn't unseat him.

Well that doesn't make any sense at all...

If Marv is saying the guy they are looking at would be there 4 spots lower (that would be 12 right?) and they don't have Justice rated in the top 10.....

667570[/snapback]

I'm betting the player Marv is refering to is in the top 10 of our draft board, he just thinks we could land him a few spots back. Why the hell would we target someone we don't think is a top ten prospect with Pick 8? The statement that Justice is not in our top ten according to Modrack makes me assume that Levy is not talking about Justice when he made his statement. Thats how I read it. These are all assumptions though, and you know what they say about assuming..

Could just as easily be Justice.

667548[/snapback]

If ( and that's a big if) the Bills can trade down this will be their pick but I don't totally dismiss the idea of the Bills drafting Justice at 8 IMHO. Don't believe (and I don't mean you specifically) all the disinformation floating around. Teams feed the wolves anything but what their true intentions are. Of course it will probably be a trade when the Bills are on the clock. These deals are always made at the last minute.

.....  I can see why they MIGHT be interested, I don't see why they're so desperate as to trade up to get him.

667627[/snapback]

I don't think it's a matter of 'desperate'. If they were, there wouldn't be a discussion on the issue.

Do the Lions need a QB of the future?

Yes.(unless they believe McCown will be it...big if)

Do the Cards need a QB of the future?

Yes.

Do the Rams need a QB of the future?

Quite possible.(have started 3 different QBs each of the last 2 seasons)

If Cutler(or Young) are rated highly by the Cards or Rams....

It is not ridiculous to imagine either trading up to #8.

Well, I was arguing more about likelihood, then possibility. I know it's possible, it's just not likely that we can trade back one, two, or three spots. Haloti Ngata is our pick at #8 overall -- that's the most likely scenario.

I don't think it's a matter of 'desperate'.  If they were, there wouldn't be a discussion on the issue.

Do the Lions need a QB of the future?

Yes.(unless they believe McCown will be it...big if)

Do the Cards need a QB of the future?

Yes.

Do the Rams need a QB of the future?

Quite possible.(have started 3 different QBs each of the last 2 seasons)

If Cutler(or Young) are rated highly by the Cards or Rams....

It is not ridiculous to imagine either trading up to #8.

667779[/snapback]

I actually think if the Bills can trade down, it will be a move where the team we're trading with is targetting Vernon Davis, not Jay Cutler. If Davis somehow slips by both SF (Huff) and Oakland (Young), then there should be a number of teams willing to trade up to get the next Gates or Gonzalez that will make their offense dynamic.

Under that scenario, I can see the Bills getting interest from Arizona, St. Louis, and most importantly, Denver. The Broncos would offer by far the best package of picks because they're looking for the one impact player to win the Super Bowl NOW during their window of opportunity; however, since we're targetting Ngata, we can't trade down past Cleveland. So we use Denver as leverage against Arizona and St. Louis, and while we don't end up accepting the best offer (Denver), we do get a 3rd rounder and 5th rounder out of St. Louis to drop 3 spots and still be able to stay in front of Cleveland to draft Ngata.

Note: I've said many times before that between Davis and Ngata, I take Davis. But, I really believe Marv and Modrak tipped their hand yesterday, and it's Ngata that they're targetting so I'm trying to analyze everything according to that assumption.

Well, I was arguing more about likelihood, then possibility.  I know it's possible, it's just not likely that we can trade back one, two, or three spots.  Haloti Ngata is our pick at #8 overall -- that's the most likely scenario.

667814[/snapback]

Why so sure of Ngata(over Bunkley)?

Or even that Marv thinks either are worthy of #8?

I think if anyone, Cleveland MAY bite if they think we will take the player they want.  Another words, if we can't find a trade partner, we are taking Ngata (and Cleveland wants him).

I think it's a long shot though.  They will probably be happy with either Ngata or Bunkley, and one of them should be there at 12 no matter who we pick.

667585[/snapback]

FWIW, here's the Cincy beat writer's take on CLE:

"Steelers, Browns targeting defense

NFL Insider

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER 04/24/06

BROWNS: General manager Phil Savage will look to give coach Romeo Crennel more players to use in the front seven of their 3-4 defense.

The Browns were last in sacks last season and 30th against the run, and newcomers Willie McGinest (linebacker) and Ted Washington (nose tackle) are 34 and approaching 38, respectively. They are short-term fixes, at best.

Cleveland insiders expect the Browns to draft three front-seven defenders in the first three rounds.

The Browns wouldn't get specific, but they are believed to be very interested in Oregon nose tackle Haloti Ngata, Florida State defensive lineman Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State linebacker/end Kamerion Wimbley, end/linebacker Manny Lawson from N.C. State and linebacker Chad Greenway from Iowa.

The Browns, last in the league last season with 232 points, are hoping the return from injuries by tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and wide receiver Braylon Edwards will help."

I'm willing to bet Bunkley is our man come Friday....

"In fact, the guy we sort of like right now, my strong guess would be he'll be there four spaces below," Levy said.

If thats the case, trade the fug down Marv.  If Cutler is available, Arizona or St. Louis might be possible trade partners (There has been a lot of talk around here about Cutler being a future replacement/current insurance policy on Bulger who has been injured the last few years).  11 draft picks would be nice.

667542[/snapback]

read on another board so take it for whats it worth, poster stated Clevelands GM wants to move up to get the player they want. Just so happens Cleveland picks 12 which is 4 spots below the Bills pick

again, take it for whats its worth but Cleveland could be a nice trade partnet possibly giving up their 2nd to move up 4 spots...I would do that in a heart beat

read on another board so take it for whats it worth, poster stated Clevelands GM wants to move up to get the player they want. Just so happens Cleveland picks 12 which is 4 spots below the Bills pick

again, take it for whats its worth but Cleveland could be a nice trade partnet possibly giving up their 2nd to move up 4 spots...I would do that in a heart beat

668372[/snapback]

Bills would be pretty much assured of getting one of Ngata, Justice, Bunkley or Huff as long as Cutler goes before the 12th pick.

Well that doesn't make any sense at all...

If Marv is saying the guy they are looking at would be there 4 spots lower (that would be 12 right?) and they don't have Justice rated in the top 10.....

667570[/snapback]

I agree in following this logic (as I read it the same way you did) it would appear they might be referring to Justice, Ngata or Bunkley. Yet I think it rules out David and/or Huff as would suspect both gone by pick 12.