UB Bulls football season tix start at $50

Actually UB's biggest problem in recruiting is that they don't have a gut major for dumb jocks to take.  Academically UB is a tough school.  Finding athletes who can play AND keep their grades up is damn near impossible.  Expect that to change under Gill and AD Ward Manuel.

664898[/snapback]

Does UB have a phys ed major? If not, that is surprising. I know some of our football guys are phys ed majors that surely aren't splitting the atom in their classes. I'd be willing to bet that most of our guys have "real" majors though. Miami is also a pretty tough school, (I think slightly more selective than UB for undergrad admission) so it's far from impossible to field a decent team of elligible players at a school that's strong academically. I'm sure that UB's academic standards and lack of a "gut major" have some affect on recruiting, but I don't know if you can call it the biggest problem.

It is true Buffalo was up on Miami a couple years back when we played in Buffalo. However, Buffalo was only up by 1 at half on a missed Miami extra point. We took the lead in the 3rd quarter, never gave it up, and ended up winning by 25-7. Miami still dominated every statistical category in conditions that surely leveled the playing field a bit (we were a spread, passing offense and I think it was very cold, rainy, and windy that day).

When Miami played Buffalo 2 years ago here in Oxford, the final was 59-3 I believe. UB actually kicked a FG with a couple minutes left in the game on 4th down to avoid the shut out. This year Miami won 54-13 with UB scoring twice in the 4th quarter after Miami had taken a 54-0 lead, forcing 8 turnovers in the process. We weren't even that great this year! Maybe it wasn't like college team vs. a bad high school team, but from what I saw it was still like a college team playing high schoolers.

Once again my point isn't just to rag on UB or fellatiate Miami (ok maybe a little  <_< ), but I don't buy it that they can become competitive in the near future. From what I've seen, the quality of high school football is quite a bit better in Ohio and the Midwest in general than in New York. This is where most MAC schools get their players from. What at UB would attract any of the "better" recruits from outside of WNY to come to UB over the 5 or 6 other MAC schools that offer better football programs and are probably much closer to home? Gill may be a great coach and recruiter (as in recognizing talent, etc), but I don't see how he is going to sell UB to prospective football recruits.

665089[/snapback]

OK, you're talking smack and I've got to sit here and take it because, you're right, UB has stunk.

Just know this, when UB beats Miami, I will hunt you down on this board and show you no mercy. ;)

OK, you're talking smack and I've got to sit here and take it because, you're right, UB has stunk.

Just know this, when UB beats Miami, I will hunt you down on this board and show you no mercy.  <_<

665116[/snapback]

Haha. I'll willingly accept the consequences if that ever happens. I don't think I'll be loosing any sleep in the meantime though ;)

Does UB have a phys ed major? If not, that is surprising. I know some of our football guys are phys ed majors that surely aren't splitting the atom in their classes. I'd be willing to bet that most of our guys have "real" majors though. Miami is also a pretty tough school, (I think slightly more selective than UB for undergrad admission) so it's far from impossible to field a decent team of elligible players at a school that's strong academically. I'm sure that UB's academic standards and lack of a "gut major" have some affect on recruiting, but I don't know if you can call it the biggest problem.

665110[/snapback]

I can assure you it is UB's #1 recruiting problem. How many blue chip recruits want to play at a bad program AND have to bust their a$$es to stay academically eligible? To answer your question, there is no Phys Ed major at UB. Also, I'd be willing to bet more Miami OH players are Phys Ed majors than you think.

PTR

I can assure you it is UB's #1 recruiting problem.  How many blue chip recruits want to play at a bad program AND have to bust their a$$es to stay academically eligible? To answer your question, there is no Phys Ed major at UB.  Also, I'd be willing to bet more Miami OH players are Phys Ed majors than you think.

PTR

665152[/snapback]

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, PTR. There are many better and more selective schools than UB that are able to recruit blue chip players, including Miami which has had success in the MAC and is ranked 66 in the US News rankings. Also, the last batch of football graduation rates had UB squarely in the middle.

To answer your early question IMO, UB's facilities are not BCS caliber, the program lacks institutional and alumni support, WNY is more interested in , WNY does not have the talent to feed into a BCS program and, in general, UB adds very little to nothing to the Big East.

If the Bills were to leave town, it would be my hope that Syracuse would be able to attract a very small percentage of fans wanting to see major D-1 football. Then again, I don' think that would be a given by any means.

Just know this, when UB beats Miami, I will hunt you down on this board and show you no mercy. <_<

665116[/snapback]

You mean Miami of Ohio right? If I want to see the same level of play as the Bulls I can go to any of the local high schools here.

wow, this thread is still around? I figured it would be long buried by now. Anyway, i agree that Miami is usually ranked higher than UB academically (top 100) of undergrad colleges. I always thought if Miami could do it, UB can get competitive too. You guys might be on to something with a "jock" major needed at UB. I'm sure Gill, Manuel and Simpson have talked about that.

Look, there are plenty of schools ranked higher than UB academically. Michigan and Virginia are two I can think of. But those schools have a "dumb jock" major so they can recruit better players. UB doesn't have that, and that's a huge problem.

PTR

Look, there are plenty of schools ranked higher than UB academically.  Michigan and Virginia are two I can think of.  But those schools have a "dumb jock" major so they can recruit better players.  UB doesn't have that, and that's a huge problem.

PTR

665500[/snapback]

I'd respectfully disagree with the premise that there aren't any easy majors at UB and also submit that UB's lack of success with its athletics programs has many larger issues than those related to university itself. I hope I'm wrong on its future prospects though.

I'd respectfully disagree with the premise that there aren't any easy majors at UB and also submit that UB's lack of success with its athletics programs has many larger issues than those related to university itself.  I hope I'm wrong on its future prospects though.

665503[/snapback]

Do you disagree from actual knowlegde or just your opinion? Because I know folks connected to the UB Athletic department, and it's a fact there are no gut degrees like Phys Ed or Communications, or what-have-you. That's not opinion, it's fact.

PTR

Do you disagree from actual knowlegde or just your opinion?  Because I know folks connected to the UB Athletic department, and it's a fact there are no gut degrees like Phys Ed or Communications, or what-have-you.  That's not opinion, it's fact.

PTR

665612[/snapback]

I speak from my personal knowledge as a graduate of UB that there are in fact easy majors at UB, ones that would be equivalent to the programs you cited above. I'd also take issue with you that the major issue holding UB back as a program is the fact that there are not any easy majors for the jocks. If someone told you that, I'd question their motives and submit it might be a case of scapegoating.

Personally, I'd rather see them drop to I-AA in football and pick up a DI hockey team.

Cheers

I speak from my personal knowledge as a graduate of UB that there are in fact easy majors at UB, ones that would be equivalent to the programs you cited above.  I'd also take issue with you that the major issue holding UB back as a program is the fact that there are not any easy majors for the jocks.  If someone told you that, I'd question their motives and submit it might be a case of scapegoating.

Personally, I'd rather see them drop to I-AA in football and pick up a DI hockey team.

Cheers

665663[/snapback]

You're a UB grad? They why "NY Orangeman," hmmmmm? :ph34r:

PTR