WHO is going to trade up to get the Saints #2 pick

:angry: just a hunch. I'd be really surprised if the titans didnt take vince at 3. Word is that the owner and GM (adams and reese) want young, and fisher and chow want leinhart.

I'm just saying that the owner and GM are likely to win out over the coach and OC.

The jts want a QB, and what better way than to take leinhart? While it would make more sense ot take williams, NYC wants a shiny new toy, and a "face of the franchise"

N.O. would like to take williams, but they have grant and smith. They would like to take d'brick, but they have jammal brown, a high paid tackle and last years first round pick. They move him to LT, and wouldnt want to pay another 1st round contract for another tackle. They love hawk, hes a great player, they wouldnt have to take him at 2, and he fills a need.

663580[/snapback]

With Pennington taking a pretty big paycut (to stay) and the addition of Ramsey I don't think they are leaning towards a qb in the draft.

:angry: just a hunch. I'd be really surprised if the titans didnt take vince at 3. Word is that the owner and GM (adams and reese) want young, and fisher and chow want leinhart.

I'm just saying that the owner and GM are likely to win out over the coach and OC.

The jts want a QB, and what better way than to take leinhart? While it would make more sense ot take williams, NYC wants a shiny new toy, and a "face of the franchise"

N.O. would like to take williams, but they have grant and smith. They would like to take d'brick, but they have jammal brown, a high paid tackle and last years first round pick. They move him to LT, and wouldnt want to pay another 1st round contract for another tackle. They love hawk, hes a great player, they wouldnt have to take him at 2, and he fills a need.

663580[/snapback]

good plan-

except that Brown has never played a down at LT in his life and the Saints would be looking at the best LT prospect in a few years.

but its the Saints - so they will probably take a QB to start as a rookie while Brees recovers from injury.

good plan-

except that Brown has never played a down at LT in his life and the Saints would be looking at the best LT prospect in a few years.

but its the Saints - so they will probably take a QB to start as a rookie while Brees recovers from injury.

663662[/snapback]

If they take a QB, you've got it backwards. Brees's contract essentially amounts to a 1 year 10 mil deal. If he falters or isnt going to completely revocer, they let him go, and then start the rookie they draft this year in 2007.

good plan-

663662[/snapback]

I haven't seen a report saying D'Brick is the best left tackle prospect in a few years. Many reports say D'Brick is the best left tackle this year, but he isn't as good as W.Jones, J.Odgen, and other top left tackles when they came out of college.

On Jammal Brown, although he didn't play at LT position before, Seaon Payton has said Brown would be moved to left tackle next season. Besides, if Saints draft D'Brick, they'll have two tackles earning big rookie contracts. One of them will play right tackle with left-tackle money. It doesn't make any sense cap-wise.

If they take a QB, you've got it backwards. Brees's contract essentially amounts to a 1 year 10 mil deal. If he falters or isnt going to completely revocer, they let him go, and then start the rookie they draft this year in 2007.

663667[/snapback]

GREAT - and who plays QB in 2006 while Brees is still out.

probably the highly paid, high draft pick.

The Saints just blew $10 mil for no reason.

GREAT - and who plays QB in 2006 while Brees is still out.

probably the highly paid, high draft pick.

The Saints just blew $10 mil for no reason.

663787[/snapback]

Saints can address their backup QB and right tackle issues in later rounds.

They don't need to use the #2 overall pick to draft their franchise QB. They already have a franchise QB in Brees. Drafting a second tier QB in later rounds make more sense to them.

I think Saints want Mario more than D'Brick. They just drafted Jammal Brown as #13 overall last year. Sean Payton said Brown would be moved to left tackle. You don't normally draft two top tackles at high first round in two consecutive years, you'll end up with a right tackle earning left-tackle money. Even Saints aren't comfortable on Jon Stinchcomb in right tackle, they may address this issue in later rounds instead of #2 overall.

On the other hand, although G.Grant and W.Smith are also former first rounders, they didn't play to their potentials. Besides, they were drafted several years before Brown and Saints may have done waiting for one of them, possibly Smith.

I can see Saints draft Mario and, if they trade down, it won't be to a team taking Mario.

663219[/snapback]

I think that's a good point. However, the number one rated tackle in the draft who's speciality is pass blocking, and it was head coach Sean Peyton who wanted Drew Brees. I think he'll want to protect his quarterback by drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I think that's a good point.  However, the number one rated tackle in the draft who's speciality is pass blocking, and it was head coach Sean Peyton who wanted Drew Brees.  I think he'll want to protect his quarterback by drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

663903[/snapback]

Like I said, Saints would end up with two very young tackles earning left tackle money and one of them would have to play right tackle. They have moved J.Brown to left tackle and can draft a very good right tackle in later rounds. You don't draft a right tackle in #2 overall.

How about drating D'Brick to be their LT and moving Brown back to RT? This also doesn't make sense, Brown is paid a lot to be a LT, he hasn't shown anything that he can't handle LT. I don't think Saint has given up Brown on LT.

I still see Saints draft Mario Williams in #2 or draft A.J. Hawk after trading down few spots. Of course, if they can't find any trade partner, they may draft A.J. Hawk in #2, which is a lttile too high for Hawk though.