Draft Day Plan B is Picking a Player at #8

Mark VI

.. is everyone in the War Room staring at the red phone, screaming " Ring dammit !  We want to trade down !  "

The Bills will accept any reasonable offer to trade down and grab extra picks. They need the help.

662453[/snapback]

While I am NOT against a trade down (first time I have ever felt this way), I hope that if the Bills do so, they can grab at least one early pick in 07 as well. We already have quite a few picks this season.

If some of our 06 picks can play, we could walk into 07 with extra picks, kids with some experience, and a ton of cap space.

I will never stop hoping. :rolleyes::D

This years draft is one of the deepest in many, many years. Literally twice as good as last season. Lots of depth at positions of need for the Bills. We constantly cry about getting help for the trenches on Offense and Defense. Here's our chance.

I'd rather have an extra day one pick this season, which could bring our total to 5 players within the first 72 picks.

That's too good an opportunity to pass on.

No more TD and his controlling injury/midget niche pick fetish.

Let's nail this draft.

Trading down could be great since some of the players we want most are not worthy of #8 (Bunkley and Justice), and with one of the three QBs falling out of the top 7 we could probably entice someone. But it depends 100% on the deal. We need to add value trading down, and if we go more than a couple spots we need to make up for it in a big way. I really like the idea of moving down to 12-16 if we can add a useful pick and still get someone we value like Bunkley or Justice. Too bad Detroit isn't in the market for a QB anymore, or we would have better leverage for a team trying to grab a QB, but oh well...

This years draft is one of the deepest in many, many years. Literally twice as good as last season. Lots of depth at positions of need for the Bills. We constantly cry about getting help for the trenches on Offense and Defense. Here's our chance.

I'd rather have an extra day one pick this season, which could bring our total to 5 players within the first 72 picks.

Let's nail this draft.

662466[/snapback]

I agree, but I think that it is possible to do both, without moving down TOO far.

In 01, we got a 2nd from moving from 14th to 21st.

Imo, the #8 is worth far more than seems to be the consensus here, especially if a qb drops.

Jmo.

Let's nail this draft.

662466[/snapback]

Ditto!

.. is everyone in the War Room staring at the red phone, screaming " Ring dammit !  We want to trade down !  "

The Bills will accept any reasonable offer to trade down and grab extra picks. They need the help.

662453[/snapback]

Bills need to be on the phone from now until the draft exploring trade partners depending on various scenarios.

If they wait for the phone to ring, they will never do a deal on draft day because 15 minutes will be too short for Marv to make a commitment.

662453[/snapback]

Cowboys | Team might consider moving up to draft M. Huff

Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:02:23 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Dallas Cowboys might consider moving up in the NFL Draft to select Texas CB/S Michael Huff. The Cowboys are scheduled to pick 18th in the first round, and Huff is expected to be long gone by then. To get Huff, the Cowboys would have to trade up, possibly ahead of Detroit at No. 9, certainly ahead of St. Louis at No. 11.

Trading down could be great since some of the players we want most are not worthy of #8 (Bunkley and Justice), and with one of the three QBs falling out of the top 7 we could probably entice someone.  But it depends 100% on the deal.  We need to add value trading down, and if we go more than a couple spots we need to make up for it in a big way.  I really like the idea of moving down to 12-16 if we can add a useful pick and still get someone we value like Bunkley or Justice.  Too bad Detroit isn't in the market for a QB anymore, or we would have better leverage for a team trying to grab a QB, but oh well...

662468[/snapback]

In examining the talent pool, Bunkley and Justice are not the last chance to get a good player at their respective positions. There's actually many rotation DT's who offer talent and value into Round 3, so missing out on Bunkley isn't the end of the world.

Same for Justice, who isn't even a natural LT. Whitworth of LSU is rated higher by Ourlads and would be a fine pick.

Trading down brings several different players at various positions into the mix, showing how deep this draft is. It would also possibly gets us and extra 2nd round pick, which is huge.

A trade won't happen until teams see what is occurring ahead of us. A certain desired player has to be sitting in our slot, with other teams convinced he will be gone within 2-3 picks after ours. 10-15 minutes is more than enough time to pull the trigger on a trade. The value chart takes a few seconds to add up the agreed compensation.

In examining the talent pool, Bunkley and Justice are not the last chance to get a good player at their respective positions. There's actually many rotation DT's who offer talent and value into Round 3, so missing out on Bunkley isn't the end of the world.

Same for Justice, who isn't even a natural LT. Whitworth of LSU is rated higher by Ourlads and would be a fine pick.

Trading down brings several different players at various positions into the mix, showing how deep this draft is. It would also possibly gets us and extra 2nd round pick, which is huge.

A trade won't happen until teams see what is occurring ahead of us. A certain desired player has to be sitting in our slot, with other teams convinced he will be gone within 2-3 picks after ours. 10-15 minutes is more than enough time to pull the trigger on a trade. The value chart takes a few seconds to add up the agreed compensation.

662618[/snapback]

[/quot

Marv is adamant about sticking to his draft board.

He absolutely will not make a knee jerk trade.

The only way the Bills trade down is that if they orchestrate the scenarios before the draft and convince Marv that one of the guys slotted at #8 will be there after the trade.

It will be about much more that if the value chart makes sense.

Let's nail this draft.

662466[/snapback]

When was the last time you heard of a draft being "lacking in talent with little or no depth". Every year is considered deep with some positions being considered deeper then others.

The Bills need bodies plain and simple. With a few extra picks it may increase the chance that few of them stick around maybe even contribute something.

My only hope is that theis draft is a 100% Tom Modrak draft with him having final say.

If they wait for the phone to ring, they will never do a deal on draft day because 15 minutes will be too short for Marv to make a commitment.

662522[/snapback]

Do you know Marv well or is this simply more negative speculation? Try to avoid letting your personal distain color your "analysis."

I don't pay a lot of attention to the Kallage game, so I'm not as equipped to debate the pros and cons (sorta sounds like the Felons--doesn't it?) of the Draft-eligible players as many Draft-a-holics are. However, this is my observation on what the scenario seems to be.

We're drafting at #8 and there seems to be general agreement that there are 6-7 impact marquee players in this draft. We're just out of range to get one of the juicy "can't-miss" guys. There seems to be a concensus that the next 10 - 15 guys are "roughly equivalent" in that they're the next level of talent - grossly speaking, they're 'mid-level talent.'

So there are three scenarios that could develop:

1.) Marv stays put at 8 and takes a marginal impact player (most likely if one of the top 7 drop)

2.) Marv trades up and mortgages the house for a "can't-miss" guy (and we get fewer 06/07 picks)

3.) Marv trades down (and we get more picks in 06 and maybe an extra one in 07)

So, the question is: 'Is it more important for THIS squad to have a marquee-type player at the expense of overall depth, or should we raise the general talent level of the team with more mid-level talented players. I think the answer to that is - we need more solid players than we do a star. Much as I'd love to have a marquee player like a Vernon Davis, unless he falls to us naturally at #8, I would never trade up to get him with a team in the shape that The Bills currently are.

It seems pretty clear to me that Marv will try to trade down - if he can find a dance partner. One can only hope there's a mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging GM out there that has pinups of Nagata (or a favorite positional player that falls to the 8 slot) taped to his bathroom mirror. Where IS Mike Ditka when you need him?

So if we're picking at somewhere between 15 - 23, would you take OL or DL first? I don't know who'd be around by then, but all things being equal, I would favor going OL with a pick in the mid-lower 1st round. I would only take a DLineman with that pick if he's a significantly better athlete than whatever OLinemen are available at that spot.

Oh, I forgot. There's one more scenario that we all hope doesn't play out. Marv falls asleep at his nap time during the first round and picks 9, 10, and 11 go ahead of us (ala Minnesota's brain fart a coupla years ago) and he wakes up with a start and tries to pick Shane Conlan. :rolleyes:

Do you know Marv well or is this simply more negative speculation?  Try to avoid letting your personal distain color your "analysis."

662633[/snapback]

nice try- bonehead. Try reading the entire post.

Like I said in my post- the Bills need to be actively working on trades before the draft.

IF they sit on their hands like Teflon tom did when he thought he Joey H. in the bag, then they will be ill prepared to make a move when on the clock on draft day.

And if they are not prepared, there is no way that they move Marv out of his comfort zone in 15 minutes.