You goot look a player in the eye and then choose

I know that this view will not be popular with all the fan draft fanatics who get wowed by numbers and their expert analysis made while sitting in front of the tube and drinking a beer.

However, this mundane point is worth mentioning when the choices actually comes down to picking between two players like Ngota and Bunkley (one of whom under the Bills Parcells Planet Theory has a once in a lifetime body and the other of whom looked very good in the Combine).

Neither is a sure thing at all and easily could be a reach at #8 if Ngota proves to be inconsistent or if Bunkley is more of a worjout warrior than a player.

I know that many of us fans are addicted to the rumors and minutiae now available on the web and in many draft magazines. The advent of fantasy leagues as a major entertainment diversion has given a false sense of expertise to many fans.

When the choices available all have major flaws, then it strikes me that the key is really to talk to the player and look him in the eye and make an assessment of whether the player has the interanal makings to commit himself to improving his deficits.

From UDFAs like Peters who actually prove diligent enough to make the roster an start, to old fogies like Sam Adams who survived and prospered for years on having an occaisionally explosive first step, though he was little more than a fat tub of good for the 2/3 of games he went on vacation, players have shown the ability to suddenly get it or suddenly grow up and they actually produce.

Likewise talented folks like Leaf or gregarious folks who have the Grammy who raised them die can also suddenly go completely south in terms of production as they react badly to outside situtations.

Is Ngota a bad or great choice? Is Bunkley the man at DT? Who knows actually. The things we can see and measure as fans pale in significance to really being able to gauge the size of a players heart.

Perhaps some legend in their own mind folks will make an accurate prediction of whether a player will work out or not. However, as best as I can tell if tbeir deadlock certain predictions are right it is probably coincidence. The real measure of making good choices on close calls is how good is the GM at looking into the eyes of the draftee, probably after asking them some seemingly trivial questiion and making a correct assessment of the man in front of them.

The better assessment by TSW draftphiles is less whether they judge a player as worthy of a 1st or 2nd day pick. but actually whether they judge Marv as having a talent and the capacity to correctly assess players and to manage their development.

To some degree it really is an unknown regarding Marv as this is his first time as GM.

However, the thing which gives me confidence is that as Bills HC Marv showed real skill at delegating football responsibility and of managing the Bills as a team of divergent personalities to be a TEAM that proved resilient and capable of winning.

He did well enough that I think this HOF Golden Boy gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

I trust ML. After reading his book, I am even more convinced that he has an eye for a football player. He also knows how to surround himself with talent in the office. It's a must-read for these next 16 days when everything else you read will be far less sincere and straightforward.

Kinda like GW did with Putin?

661484[/snapback]

What did Gregg Williams do with poontang?

As for Ms. Pyrite's comments, i agree (not with the literal "look in the eye"...but, I get the point). Combine numbers, Wonderlick scores, Mel Kiper and Ourlads aside...a FOOTBALL guy has to make a FOOTBALL judgement about whether this guy can and WILL do the job. Modrack and co, need to bring the best info and analysis they can. Then Marv and whoever he has chosen to help him make the final evaluation have to make that evaluation. I have a LOT of faith in Marv's ability to do that. I hope that faith is well-placed.

I trust ML. After reading his book, I am even more convinced that he has an eye for a football player. He also knows how to surround himself with talent in the office. It's a must-read for these next 16 days when everything else you read will be far less sincere and straightforward.

661524[/snapback]

I hope you're right. Marvy is clearly one of the most educated, intelligent men running a front office right now. Whether that translates into good policy remains to be seen. I'm certain he's going to take some lumps along the way as he gains experience. I mean, that's life. Try something new, and you'll !@#$ it up a few times before you get it right.

It worked in Slavery days

661531[/snapback]

Like I said, you have to be good at making judgments doing this and not be an idiot. The Indy folks who judged Edgerrin to be a better pklayer than Rickey versus Mike Ditka trading away and entire draft for him are example 1 of the importance on not relying simply on film, Wonderlics and things we fans can see.

I think that, when all things seem equal, looking into the eyes of a player has some sort of impact but only to a certain degree. What would seem to be more of a difference maker would be to research what type of person they are. Variables like character, committment, and just an overall evaluation of them. I think that these qualities would have more of a bearing on a decision with Marv than maybe most of the GMs/staff in the league. Marv has made no bones about how much these qualities come into play for him. With all the jokes and critizisms he has recieved concerning his age, I think that his age really verifies his sincerity. I mean it's not like he's a young ambitious GM who is more concern of living on the edge and making a name for himself. To use as a comparision, Jimmy Johnson when he got into the league. He never was too concern what his players were like personally, he just wanted the fastest athletes. I'm sure that Marv still would like the fastest qualified prospects but I do believe that his standards also play a major part in his decision making. I do admire a man of principle and I believe that you still can be successful while holding onto your values. I'll go on record now and state without hesitation that no matter what happens this year in our success ratio, I am and will be proud of the administration and staff that we aquired.

I think that, when all things seem equal, looking into the eyes of a player has some sort of impact but only to a certain degree. What would seem to be more of a difference maker would be to research what type of person they are. Variables like character, committment, and just an overall evaluation of them. I think that these qualities would have more of a bearing on a decision with Marv than maybe most of the GMs/staff in the league. Marv has made no bones about how much these qualities come into play for him. With all the jokes and critizisms he has recieved concerning his age, I think that his age really verifies his sincerity. I mean it's not like he's a young ambitious GM who is more concern of living on the edge and making a name for himself. To use as a comparision, Jimmy Johnson when he got into the league. He never was too concern what his players were like personally, he just wanted the fastest athletes. I'm sure that Marv still would like the fastest qualified prospects but I do believe that his standards also play a major part in his decision making. I do admire a man of principle and I believe that you still can be successful while holding onto your values. I'll go on record now and state without hesitation that no matter what happens this year in our success ratio, Iam and will be proud of the administration and staff that we aquired.

661696[/snapback]

Ditto!