Other DTs Besides Haloti Ngata

R. Rich

I think we could find a very good DT later on in the draft if Ngata is not the option in the first. I wouldn't mind seeing Gabe Watson, Babatunde Oshinowo, Jesse Mahelona, or John McCargo being drafted by the Bills. Too bad we don't play a 3-4, as a guy like Rodrique Wright would be a great fit as a DE in a 3-4. I wouldn't want him as a 4-3 DT, though.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we could find a very good DT later on in the draft if Ngata is not the option in the first.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gabe Watson, Babatunde Oshinowo, Jesse Mahelona, or John McCargo being drafted by the Bills.  Too bad we don't play a 3-4, as a guy like Rodrique Wright would be a great fit as a DE in a 3-4.  I wouldn't want him as a 4-3 DT, though.

657841[/snapback]

I'm the first to admit I know little to nothing about those guys.

Should I? One would think if they were premiere players they'd be garnering a lot more attention.

I've liked Watson's potential for a while. He just has to show consistent effort. McCargo has come on strong as of late, I just hope its not the Mario effect like Ryan Sims' Peppers effect a few years back. I'm not a very big fan of Wright. I have no discernable reason, other than I'm very sour on Texas players after Mike Williams. I don't know very much about Babatunde Oshinowo or Jesse Mahelona.

Thay guy DVorcak is a beast I saw him during OUs spring scrimmage, and the guy is big. The interview was pretty good also. He said he has been working out nonstop. this guy looks like he can be a real steal. I think he had some character issues at OU but he seemed well spoken in the interview. Maybe a steal in the third.

I've liked Watson's potential for a while.  He just has to show consistent effort.  McCargo has come on strong as of late, I just hope its not the Mario effect like Ryan Sims' Peppers effect a few years back. I'm not a very big fan of Wright.  I have no discernable reason, other than I'm very sour on Texas players after Mike Williams.   I don't know very much about Babatunde Oshinowo or Jesse Mahelona.

657850[/snapback]

It's kinda foolish to hold an entire university responsible for one player's failings, especially one that is coming off a national championship season. Wright, in my opinion, could make the transition to DE in a 3-4 and be effective, something like RICHard Seymour did for the Pats. I just don't believe he'll be an impact DT in the pros. I could be wrong on that, but I just feel he's better off @ end in the 3-4.

Ngata is a special player, how many playmaker DTs are out there? Not many. I hope we take Ngata.

657855[/snapback]

I dont, I would like to see us take Bunkley in a trade down, or draft the best player regardless of his position at the time. If Hawk slips or Huff even Davis would help this team out tremendously.

I'm the first to admit I know little to nothing about those guys.

Should I? One would think if they were premiere players they'd be garnering a lot more attention.

657842[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't think there is one premier defensive linemen in the draft. Haloti Ngata is a good player who will contribute but he's not going to demolish OL in the NFL. Someone needs to light a fire under his ass if they are to expect major production out of him and that scares me. Last thing we need on the Bills is someone who can't find motivation from whistle to whistle.

The rest of the guys listed all have shortcomings one way or another so depending on them to make major contributions may be foolish. It would of made much more sense for the Bills to just be more active in FA when there were strong players available on the line. Marv blinked and everyone signed elsewhere. Larry over Sam is going to be a severe downgrade and to not resign Edwards makes it even worse.

After they draft Vince Young in the first ;), they should look to address the lines the rest of the draft. I'm scared we may allow the most rushing yards and sacks in NFL history this year.

T_R

I'm on the Broderick Bunkley bandwagon so I have no problem passing up ngata. Mostly cause I want to move away from the overweight dt's of yore. I feel smaller quicker dt's are more essential to success in the nfl today with skill players generally faster as well as olinemen becoming quicker. I wasn't all that high on Rodrique Wright as the college season progressed, but his potential might be worth the risk if he's there in the 3rd round, although like you said better served as a 3-4 end. I'd love McCargo if we dont get bunkley in the 1st. McCargo is a similar player, not so much worried about the Ryan Sims effect. Mahelona seems like a player similar to larry triplett. One Gap penetrator. Dont know much about Babatunde.

Ngata is a special player, how many playmaker DTs are out there? Not many. I hope we take Ngata.

657855[/snapback]

Ngata is special? How so? Because the draft sites say so? I think he's a good player, but I really think so many of us are so starved for a success story @ the position that it's becoming some kind of obsession to draft him. It reminds me of the frenzy here last year to draft Mike Nugent, another special, once in a lifetime player.

I dont, I would like to see us take Bunkley in a trade down, or draft the best player regardless of his position at the time. If Hawk slips or Huff even Davis would help this team out tremendously.

657861[/snapback]

You can join the Rich/BiB draft pariah club. Looking at everything, trading down (maybe/maybe not taking best available with first pick, depending on the order) or taking Huff/Davis at #8 just really feels like the best move. As Rich says in a prior thread, a lot depends on what the Bills can get for the 8.

And, like I said in the same thread-these are all hopelessly redundant statements, so I'll shut up now until I can think of a new angle.

It's kinda foolish to hold an entire university responsible for one player's failings, especially one that is coming off a national championship season. Wright, in my opinion, could make the transition to DE in a 3-4 and be effective, something like RICHard Seymour did for the Pats. I just don't believe he'll be an impact DT in the pros. I could be wrong on that, but I just feel he's better off @ end in the 3-4.

You are, of course, correct. I am just livid that we blew the #4 pick in the draft. That fact, combined with the mixed history of UT draft picks over the last 5-7 years and I'd like to avoid Texas players, if possible. I am totally wrong to be this dismissive, but personal feelings are what they are.

IMHO, Seymour has been more than simply effective. He's had stretches where he completely dominates the opposition.

You are, of course, correct.  I am just livid that we blew the #4 pick in the draft.  That fact, combined with the mixed history of UT draft picks over the last 5-7 years and I'd like to avoid Texas players, if possible.  I am totally wrong to be this dismissive, but personal feelings are what they are.

IMHO, Seymour has been more than simply effective.  He's had stretches where he completely dominates the opposition.

657879[/snapback]

Well, as long as you realize it's wrong.....

As for Seymour, I said some time during the season that I think he is the Pats' X factor, the one guy they can ill afford to lose. Some people thought that was crazy. Thing is, if you look @ how poorly they played w/ him out of the lineup last year (even w/ the sacred cows like Brady, Vinatieri and that LB they have, whatever his name is), they weren't very spectaclar. However, once he was back and healthy again, the D started to play well and all of a sudden, they were "back" and "a Super Bowl contender" again.

The difference?

Well, as long as you realize it's wrong.....

As for Seymour, I said some time during the season that I think he is the Pats' X factor, the one guy they can ill afford to lose.  Some people thought that was crazy.  Thing is, if you look @ how poorly they played w/ him out of the lineup last year (even w/ the sacred cows like Brady, Vinatieri and that LB they have, whatever his name is), they weren't very spectaclar.  However, once he was back and healthy again, the D started to play well and all of a sudden, they were "back" and "a Super Bowl contender" again. 

The difference?

657887[/snapback]

You're going to be struck by lightning now, you know that - right?

657861[/snapback]

I think he meant "hockey helmet/short bus" special.

Being an FSU fan, I really like what I see out of Brodrique Bunkley. He seems to be a player that would fit well in the Bills new defensive scheme. However, I don't think he's worth the 8th overall, but he would be a steal in the second. Other than him, I'm not really excited about any other DT's (other than Ngata).

You can join the Rich/BiB draft pariah club. Looking at everything, trading down (maybe/maybe not taking best available with first pick, depending on the order) or taking Huff/Davis at #8 just really feels like the best move. As Rich says in a prior thread, a lot depends on what the Bills can get for the 8.

And, like I said in the same thread-these are all hopelessly redundant statements, so I'll shut up now until I can think of a new angle.

657874[/snapback]

Sorry, I am boring you. Can I have your expert take on this Mr. Kiper?