Bills bring in Michael Huff for private workout

This site will be interesting to track in these days leading up to the draft:

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=rkd6734ciq2635p

(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Logically, you would expect that the players we bring in for private workouts will be targetted and more likely to be drafted by us than players we don't bring in.

You could be looking at our first two draft picks right there. Huff at #8 overall, and Spencer in the second round.

I wouldn't cry if that were the case.

Scouts Inc.(ESPN) have him as a 3rd rounder.

Super sleeper maybe???

From scouts Inc....

Strengths: Is a late-bloomer with loads of upside. Has a good frame and great bulk. Is well built and powerful. Shows quick feet and is a good athlete for the position. He fires out quickly in the running game. Shows explosive initial power at the POA and can be absolutely dominating when he locks on in the phone booth. He runs well and shows the consistent ability to reach the second level on time. Is a better run blocker than pass protector at this point, but has upside and continues to improve in pass pro. Shows long arms, quick feet and powerful initial punch in pass pro. Gets set quickly and has the athleticism to play on an island if technique and awareness improve. He is a hard worker and versatile player. Will put the team ahead of his own personal achievement. Is very "coachable".

Weaknesses: Durability is a minor issue, as he missed spring drills in 2004 after undergoing surgery on his left shoulder due to an injury sustained during the 2003 season. He is still a bit raw. Angles are still too inconsistent in the running game. Has limited experience at OG/OT. Needs to improve his awareness and technique in pass pro. He is inconsistent with his feet and hand placement. He doesn't always see the blitz or stunt coming in time. Needs to learn to play with more consistent leverage in order to avoid lunging as much as he does.

Overall: Spencer redshirted in 2001 and played defensive tackle in a reserve capacity in 12 games during each of his redshirt freshman (2002) and sophomore (2003) seasons, before moving over to the offensive side of the ball during the fall of 2004. Spencer moved to tackle as a senior in 2005 and earned his second consecutive All-Big East honor. He started his final 23 games on the offensive line after lettering at defensive tackle in 2002 and '03. Spencer is a former defensive tackle who thrived in his late transition to the offensive line. Spencer has great size, quick feet and impressive overall power. He still has room to improve in terms of his overall technique and awareness, but Spencer has all the physical tools necessary to eventually develop into an NFL starter either at OG or ROT. After Spencer impressed during the Senior Bowl and combine, he has emerged as a late Day 1 draft prospect in the 2006 class.

There must be much more workouts (unconfirmed)....just look at GB, OAK, HOU, SF, etc etc....

I don't know too much about all this. Will there be a lot more workouts over the next few weeks?

If yes then this list will be far more beneficial then.

I'm glad that they appear to be targeting a quality OG prospect in this draft. They've been needing at least one for a couple of years now.

Although I wouldn't be too upset if they select Huff, I'm not a big fan of drafting a S at 8. This looks like a very good draft for safeties and the Bills could probably wait at least a round and get a good one.

I'd expect there to be quite a few more names on this list by the 29th.

There must be much more workouts (unconfirmed)....just look at GB, OAK, HOU, SF, etc etc....

I don't know too much about all this.  Will there be a lot more workouts over the next few weeks?

If yes then this list will be far more beneficial then.

656933[/snapback]

Yes, there will be more workouts, and when they can be confirmed, they will be added to the list. The list is beneficial RIGHT NOW but it will continue to grow. It's a running list that you can click on once a day to see if anything new has been confirmed.

Although I wouldn't be too upset if they select Huff,  I'm not a big fan of drafting a S at 8.  This looks like a very good draft for safeties and the Bills could probably wait at least a round and get a good one. 

657031[/snapback]

You can say that about any position in this draft, though. DT is deep. So is TE.

Remember, Huff is a CB prospect as well, although I do think he'd probably play safety his rookie season, saving us from witnessing the debacle that would be the Bowen/Wire experience.

That is interesting information.  Spencer seems to have visited more teams than any other player.  I wonder why.

656922[/snapback]

I think they want an up close look at him due to his weight. He is a big dude, and it will help to see how he moves and carries his weight. He also used to be a DT and played OT with some success. Maybe checking out what position he will be drafted at. (OT or G...not DT)

Spencer is hardly a sleeper.  Anyone who follows college football and the draft closely has known about him for at least a year.  Great athlete and powerful for his size.

656929[/snapback]

Yep...And he's moving up fast...Put in the Sr. Bowl tape and watch the Kid...He's good and getting better...I imagine most Teams are looking at him in the Late 1st or early 2nd Round now... :D

Logically, you would expect that the players we bring in for private workouts will be targetted and more likely to be drafted by us than players we don't bring in.

Or they make teams THINK that they're interested in a player, so that other teams jump ahead and grab him.

CW

That is interesting information.  Spencer seems to have visited more teams than any other player.  I wonder why.

656922[/snapback]

He's "only" visiting 8 teams. Maybe he is trying to wrack up some frequent flyer mileage? :D