Cover 2 smoke screen and the myth of Haloti Ngata

First off, the one thing you guys are forgetting is that Ngata is not an every down player. At Oregon he rotated out very often and i am not sure if he has the stamina to play at the NFL level.

Second off, Just because someone has the size does not mean that they can stuff the middle. If you want a run stuffer and a guy who can smell the ball in the running backs hands, and actually does something about it, you want Broderick Bunkley. THE GUY BROKE THE RECORD A FLORIDA STATE IN TACKLES FOR LOSS. We could trade down, get more picks, and still draft to fill the hole that is on our wish list.

Third off, has anybody read Marv's book? He finds that the safety position is one of the most vital on the field and would be dying to draft another Henry Jones. Michael Huff will more than likely be our pick.

Wish list for 1st round

1.Williams (Not going to be there)

2.Bunkley (See about trading down first)

3.Huff (Also see about trading down if possible)

4.Davis

5.Winston Justice (Once again, trade down. GET MORE PICKS)

653171[/snapback]

Nice post Boon. Yea, I don't care if it's Ngata / Bunkley / Hawk / Williams. These types of players will help the defense. Huff would also help the D, but I just think there are more pressing needs on the D and more safeties farther down the draft that are close to the same as Huff.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post Boon.  Yea, I don't care if it's Ngata / Bunkley / Hawk / Williams.  These types of players will help the defense.  Huff would also help the D, but I just think there are more pressing needs on the D and more safeties farther down the draft that are close to the same as Huff.

653186[/snapback]

I would have to agree with you on the point about more pressing needs. I agree with you 100%, but Marv is rebuilding the team, and so i think if he sees a lot of talent in a guy like Michael Huff that he could depend on and a guy who would help build his defense and make a contribution this year, he would most certainly take him.

Nice post Boon.  Yea, I don't care if it's Ngata / Bunkley / Hawk / Williams.  These types of players will help the defense.  Huff would also help the D, but I just think there are more pressing needs on the D and more safeties farther down the draft that are close to the same as Huff.

653186[/snapback]

Just another quick thing, i do think that there is a lot of talent at safety throughout the draft, but i think the only guy the Bills would want would be Darnell Bing in later rounds.

Also i think that if the phone doesn't ring on draft day with somebody on the other end asking to trade with the Bills, we are more than likely going to be stuck drafting a guy like Huff or Bunkley with the #8. Mainly because i think that although it may be high to pick them at that point, i think they may be the only guys that Buffalo has a chance at drafting that will end up panning out.

You see the next Ed Reed.  I see a player that is marginally better than the next 5 Safeties in this draft.  Draft one of those instead.

I'm not sure what you are getting at about Chicago, but they did have the #2 total defense in the league and held offenses to 281 ypg, while buffalo had the #29th total defense and gave up 343 ypg.

Chicago gave up 100ypg on the ground, while Buffalo gave up 138ypg on the ground.  #11 vs. #31.

Hmmm.  :rolleyes:

653160[/snapback]

your opinion of huff is fine, if you feel that he does not live up to the hype and i do there is nothing we can do, i would draft him, you wouldnt.

the point i was making about chicago was you said you wanted ngata at 8 and talked about how chicago's defense was so great at stopping the run. I meant that chicago didnt use big run stuffers such as ngata, so why cant we do the same thing.

Just another quick thing, i do think that there is a lot of talent at safety throughout the draft, but i think the only guy the Bills would want would be Darnell Bing in later rounds.

Also i think that if the phone doesn't ring on draft day with somebody on the other end asking to trade with the Bills, we are more than likely going to be stuck drafting a guy like Huff or Bunkley with the #8. Mainly because i think that although it may be high to pick them at that point, i think they may be the only guys that Buffalo has a chance at drafting that will end up panning out.

653208[/snapback]

Why, oh why did we have to win that Cinc. game. ;):P:rolleyes:

We would be drafting #3 then.

You make a good point. I'm not a great evaluator of NFL talent like Kiper :doh: so I basically go with my gut. I would love to trade down some spots and that is why I am really hoping that Vince Young slides. If he does, then I think Buffalo will be getting some calls to move up.

If we have to stay at #8, the more I look at mocks, I'm starting to feel that Hawk might slip to #8. I think it really depends on Detroit. Hopefully they will take Cutler or Young. If so, then I think Hawk slips.

Just like every year I will depend on Buffalo to make the best pick. Personally, I don't think it's Huff. Now, that assuming that he's a safety. If they think he can play a dominating CB, then I'm all for it, but I don't think he is.

your opinion of huff is fine, if you feel that he does not live up to the hype and i do there is nothing we can do, i would draft him, you wouldnt.

the point i was making about chicago was you said you wanted ngata at 8 and talked about how chicago's defense was so great at stopping the run. I meant that chicago didnt use big run stuffers such as ngata, so why cant we do the same thing.

653248[/snapback]

Oh, ok. I didn't understand. Ngata, Bunkley, whoever can plug that hole the best is the player that I want.

We were physically beat at the point of attack last year and if we plan to get any better we need to address that in this draft.

I guess IMHO, I would rather have a great physical lineman then a great physical Safety.

653186[/snapback]

The question is can those others Safeties also play Corner? As there's no guaranteeing we'll be able to lock up Clements past this year. So in drafting Huff we have a security blanket to replace Clements if he chooses to take the one year that the franchise tag offers. Yes it would mean we'll still have a hole at SS (assuming that's where Huff would play) next year but that could be easier to find then a high caliber CB of Nate (or beit Huff's class). This is why I find HUff so attractive.

Ok, I'm not a football coach or a GM so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. 

Why I beleive Haloti Ngata should not be ruled out by the Bills even though we are going to be going to a cover 2 D: 

1. Haloti Ngata is rated by many to be the best DT in the draft.  He would plug a hole on the Bills wish list with his huge 325lb frame.  (Running up the gut just got a lot harder with him on our team)

2. In a perfect Cover 2 The Qb get preasure on the from the D line... SO conventional wisdom means that we sould overlook Haloti Ngata because he is not quick enough to sack a QB... This is the myth!!! There is no such thing a perfect cover 2 D.  Most teams run a hybrid of the cover 2 and get pressure from a blitzing linebacker example New England.

3. Haloti Ngata can do what no other DL can do in this year's draft. And that is be responsible for cloggin up the middle of the line so our undersized middle linebacker can make tackles at the line of scrimage instead of 4- 8 yards down field.

TD always said that you can't believe ANYTHING that is leaked about a teams needs or wants before the draft... Marv has been in more than his share of War rooms and he smart enough to create the necessary smoke to hide what he wants to do, which is draft the best lineman availible at number 8  be it Haloti Ngata or  Winston Justice we will have to see.

651779[/snapback]

I like the premise of the post...well written argument...Now you have blown marv's cover!

Oh, ok.  I didn't understand.  Ngata, Bunkley, whoever can plug that hole the best is the player that I want.

We were physically beat at the point of attack last year and if we plan to get any better we need to address that in this draft.

I guess IMHO, I would rather have a great physical lineman then a great physical Safety.

653327[/snapback]

yeah thats understandable, personally i feel DT is the bigger need, but im just not sold on ngata or bunkley thats why i say huff is a better value at the 8th pick and maybe we can get a DT in the second or 2 in the 3rd.

i guess i feel like everyone wants ngata because he is a run stuffer. well if thats all he does, cant we get that somewhere else, i mean if we want a big body why do we have to use our first round pick on it.

Just a question what if we moved lets say Nate or Mcgee to SS then we could draft Huff to fill in at the CB position were he is used to playing. If you guys don't think he can make the switch to SS draft him as a CB and play him there. Just a thought.

Just a question what if we moved lets say Nate or Mcgee to SS then we could draft Huff to fill in at the CB position were he is used to playing. If you guys don't think he can make the switch to SS  draft him as a CB and play him there. Just a thought.

653388[/snapback]

Unless everything I read is completely wrong, didn't Huff play at safety? The talk of CB came after people saw his 40 times, at least that's what I thought I read.

That being said, I wasn't impressed with Huff's video highlights and how he tackled. He seemed to like taking people down by hitting them up high and didn't do a good job of wrapping up.

2. In a perfect Cover 2 The Qb get preasure on the from the D line... SO conventional wisdom means that we sould overlook Haloti Ngata because he is not quick enough to sack a QB... This is the myth!!! There is no such thing a perfect cover 2 D.  Most teams run a hybrid of the cover 2

651779[/snapback]

One of the biggest myths going around is that you need 350lb fatasses on your D-line to stop the run, and that a smaller, faster more agile cant do just as good of a job.

Unless everything I read is completely wrong, didn't Huff play at safety? The talk of CB came after people saw his 40 times, at least that's what I thought I read.

That being said, I wasn't impressed with Huff's video highlights and how he tackled. He seemed to like taking people down by hitting them up high and didn't do a good job of wrapping up.

653421[/snapback]

I thought he was a CB and eveyone wanted him to play SS my bad. Thanks for the info.

yeah thats understandable, personally i feel DT is the bigger need, but im just not sold on ngata or bunkley thats why i say huff is a better value at the 8th pick and maybe we can get a DT in the second or 2 in the 3rd.

i guess i feel like everyone wants ngata because he is a run stuffer. well if thats all he does, cant we get that somewhere else, i mean if we want a big body why do we have to use our first round pick on it.

653384[/snapback]

They are all a crap shoot, IMO. Ngata, Huff, Bunkley, who knows how they will handle the NFL.

Do the best you can w/ what you got I guess.

I hear this year they've extended the NFL draft beyond the first round.

654376[/snapback]

Really? :(

Thanks goodness for that. We have so many holes to fill it would be hard with just one pick. :angry:

So can I assume you are in the Huff bandwagon also?