Marv Levy finally loses it...

Lord in heaven....it's just a hat.

I'd tell you to go scrub rocks if you told me I couldn't wear my hat backwards.

47926[/snapback]

I think the point Marv is making is that way too many people are simply thoughless followers who are devoid of a clear sense of self, and have to borrow from rediculous fashion/pop culture for a way to fit in.

Indirectly he is also say that you are NOT your hat...

i personally use the bill of the cap to shield the sun, if worn backwards it protects my neck or sideways my face. when i played ball in college everyone used their cap accordingly. i'm sure that people have been doing this for years. i doubt very much that the young man Coach Levy referenced was the first, its most likely that he saw someone else wear it that way or was simply shading his neck. its funny how people are so quick to judge and condemn. if you look at the history of fashion you see that most fashion if not all is derived from copying what is observed in society. example, when i was a youngster in Brooklyn we used to go to school at times wearing gymn shorts under our clothes, naturally that called for bigger sized outer garments for comfort. we did this so that we could stop and play ball on our way home after school. sometimes it was done because there were no lockers and it was more convenient. there was no fashion statement being made, but someone from the fashion industry adapted the look proclaimed it to be the "urban" look and off it went. name any so-called fashion trend and i guarantee you it was simply observed, copied and mass produced to the public. of which Coach Levy and everyone on this board is a part. i wonder how original Coach Levy dresses? i agree, i think this is the first time i've read any comments that he has made that i thought he had lost it. as long as a person is neat and clean in their appearance what difference does it make as to what fashion they choose?

I wonder how he feels about the current trend of wearing the cap slightly askew, so that the bill is off-centered, ala Lawyer Milloy on the current Bills catalog?  :P

48310[/snapback]

Remember all those sideline shots where you would see Marv "in the heat" of it all?

I wonder if he knew his hat was askew? :D

Anyway, What is with the God awful trend, where people are returning to wear "trucker caps"? :lol: You know the poly/mesh, high box type? Same goes for all the other 1970's fashion that made a comeback. God! I never thought that those styles would come back.

:lol:

Wow. There's a lot of old people on this board who forget what it was like to be young. I'm sure there was a style or music that you did when you were young that pissed off old people like yourself. You probably said you'd never be like that. Honestly, the day I listen to an 98-year-old man about fashion, please shoot me.

This kind of stupid thinking can only be responded with more stupid thinking......like.........

Why wear a baseball cap if you're not playing baseball? Why wear a Moulds jersey if you're not Eric Moulds. Why are sneakers called sneakers when most people don't sneak around in them.

I hate to break it to you, but most people think wearing Bills gear beyond the age of 8 is pretty pathetic.

Most people would agree that the time you spend on this football board is pathetic.

I say, if it ain't hurting anyone, to each his own.

Remember all those sideline shots where you would see Marv "in the heat" of it all?

I wonder if he knew his hat was askew? :D

Anyway,  What is with the God awful trend, where people are returning to wear "trucker caps"?  :P  You know the poly/mesh, high box type?  Same goes for all the other 1970's fashion that made a comeback.  God! I never thought that those styles would come back.

:lol:

48336[/snapback]

You mean the trend that came in style about 2-3 years ago and was out of style about 1 year ago?

Try to follow along my friend. Don't worry, whatever tired old look you're sporting these days will be back in style and you can be cool again.

Agreed. Who the hell is Marv to pass judgement on people based on the way they wear a cap??? What an old fart.

It's a hat people.

Get over whatever problems you have with it because it's here to stay.

And just why is the DMV still letting people your age drive!  Did they not have merge lanes back in your day?  Stay off the roads during peak driving hours.  Some of us need to get places in a timely manner!

47970[/snapback]

Agree with Marv whole heartedly. In a boat it makes sense, keeps it from blowing away. Otherwise it is just plain stupid , and that sideways thing .. Please. My nephews and Nieces as well as my son know how much I detest it. Around birthdays and holidays they never wear their hats backwards.

47894[/snapback]

Umm, I don't wear hats all that much, but there are other reasons to wear caps backwards. Down here, in Texas, where the temperartures are in the high 90's to 100's about 4 or 5 months out of the year, I find myself working outside, and turning my cap backwards, so the back of my neck doesn't get baked. That is quite painful. Being follicly challanged, and hat is necessity sometimes, backwards of forwards. I would hate to go home to Buffalo and be accused of turning into a "redneck"! :D

I think the point Marv is making is that way too many people are simply thoughless followers who are devoid of a clear sense of self, and have to borrow from rediculous fashion/pop culture for a way to fit in.

Indirectly he is also say that you are NOT your hat...

48263[/snapback]

You got Marv's point. It has less to do with hats worn backwards and more to do with mindless conformity - that perpetual human quality to "be a somebody". Yes, it happens frequently when young and it is pretty harmless. It is nothing new. I do salute the freedom to be different and people being themselves if that is what they are doing. I think Marv was also ridiculing the tendency of some, to do what they think is cool in order to bring attention to themselves. I have seen that "act" expressed on the football field quite a few too many times.

Although I am not a fan of the tattoo and piercing "fads", I must say Mike Tyson's tattooing his face took some guts.

I agree with Marv.

The thing I love about pop culture is that its the same people who proclaim at every opportunity they're "individualists" who invariably look/dress/mimic whatever the latest fashion fad is (ball caps, low-rise pants, boxers, tats, piercings, you name it). What's so individualistic about dressing exactly like everyone else, whether its Republican wingtips or do-rags?

People not afraid to follow convention probably do have an extra 15 points of IQ to draw upon.

Marv Levy knows a lot about other stuff besides football. Each week, Levy will touch on a non-football topic as part of his column/

Today I will discuss an item of great unimportance. About 10 years or so ago, I saw a young fellow wearing his baseball cap with the brim facing backward. I chuckled. Now there, I thought, is a person with a sense of humor. What a clever, original and harmless little bit of stagecraft. It's like he's saying, "Look at me! Ain't I funny?" It was so cute that others soon adopted the gambit. Then people who never had an original thought in their lives said, "Duh, me too!" and copied. Today, whenever I see one of those backward hats walk into the room, I no longer chuckle. Instead, I just roll my eyes, and then I deduct 15 points off of the guy's IQ score.

:huh::wub:;)

47810[/snapback]

MARV always a class act . we miss you marv

I wonder how he feels about the current trend of wearing the cap slightly askew, so that the bill is off-centered, ala Lawyer Milloy on the current Bills catalog?  ;)

48310[/snapback]

Thats pretty cool,but I like the Dale Earnhardt Jr. look - wearing the cap backwards! B)

Marv Levy knows a lot about other stuff besides football. Each week, Levy will touch on a non-football topic as part of his column/

Today I will discuss an item of great unimportance. About 10 years or so ago, I saw a young fellow wearing his baseball cap with the brim facing backward. I chuckled. Now there, I thought, is a person with a sense of humor. What a clever, original and harmless little bit of stagecraft. It's like he's saying, "Look at me! Ain't I funny?" It was so cute that others soon adopted the gambit. Then people who never had an original thought in their lives said, "Duh, me too!" and copied. Today, whenever I see one of those backward hats walk into the room, I no longer chuckle. Instead, I just roll my eyes, and then I deduct 15 points off of the guy's IQ score.

:huh::wub:;)

47810[/snapback]

What's he think of CC Sebathia?

I am 35 and I still wear my hat backwards.  I dont wear a hat too much- usually just first thing in the am when I go out to get my paper.  Marv Levy is giving fashion advice now?  Where do I sign up? ;)  :wub:

49025[/snapback]

I want to see you guys wear one of those PINK Bills hats or visors.

:huh: