We should draft a lineman with every pick

Why the hell not? I'm all for taking the best available at #8 (Huff, Davis, Ngata or Ferguson if by the grace of god he's there) but after that I wouldn't be pissed at all if we drafted only lineman for every pick. Tim Anderson is our starting DT and the only FA O-lineman we brought in is Fowler. I think we all agree that this line is more than "one Fowler away" from being remotely decent. Even though this is the NFL and anything can happen, IMHO even with a great draft we're not a playoff team next year. Solidify the lines with the draft this year, worry about safety and wide reciever next year. I know it sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind it if it happened.

I know it sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind it if it happened.

648461[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if they did take linemen with the majority of the picks. The Bills are in pretty good shape in terms of skill positions, it's time to focus on the trenches.

hey, if we can get huff with our 8th, lineman the rest of the draft is fine by me

648469[/snapback]

Huff is probably going to be a cornerback in the NFL; he tackles like a girl.

648476[/snapback]

*sigh*

Let me guess, you're judging everything from that highlight video that was posted on the site a few weeks back, correct?

I'm a Texas fan, I've watched this guy for awhile...he tackles more like Antoine Winfield than anything else, goes right for the legs and takes the ballcarrier completely out of the play. Thats one of the staples of his games, being a punishing tackler.

For some reason that video included all of his wacky, crazy plays where he was running all over the place instead of the boring stop-em-at-the-line-of-scrimmage plays Texas fans have come to see over the last few years. Trust me, Huff is lights out with his tackles.

Not to say he doesnt have his faults (he is a bit of a gambler, a lot like Nate in that department) but anyone who has studied him knows that his tackling is textbook.

Why the hell not?  I'm all for taking the best available at #8 (Huff, Davis, Ngata or Ferguson if by the grace of god he's there) but after that I wouldn't be pissed at all if we drafted only lineman for every pick. Tim Anderson is our starting DT and the only FA O-lineman we brought in is Fowler.  I think we all agree that this line is more than "one Fowler away" from being remotely decent.  Even though this is the NFL and anything can happen, IMHO even with a great draft we're not a playoff team next year.  Solidify the lines with the draft this year, worry about safety and wide reciever next year.  I know it sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind it if it happened.

648461[/snapback]

Marv could do a lot worse than draft the best available lineman (OL or DL) for each and every pick.

Maybe our needs at WR, LB, and S will suffer a bit, but none of these positions are in as dire straits as are the lines.

*sigh*

Let me guess, you're judging everything from that highlight video that was posted on the site a few weeks back, correct?

I'm a Texas fan, I've watched this guy for awhile...he tackles more like Antoine Winfield than anything else, goes right for the legs and takes the ballcarrier completely out of the play.  Thats one of the staples of his games, being a punishing tackler.

For some reason that video included all of his wacky, crazy plays where he was running all over the place instead of the boring stop-em-at-the-line-of-scrimmage plays Texas fans have come to see over the last few years.  Trust me, Huff is lights out with his tackles.

Not to say he doesnt have his faults (he is a bit of a gambler, a lot like Nate in that department) but anyone who has studied him knows that his tackling is textbook.

648489[/snapback]

If they are serious about using some sort of Cover 2, they will certainly have to look at the S position. Unless they feel Vincent and that new guy are going to get the job done.

648476[/snapback]

cool, then he can play safety for a year and when he doesnt tackle we can move him to corner when we dont re-sign clements, problem solved lol

*sigh*

I'm a Texas fan, I've watched this guy for awhile...he tackles more like Antoine Winfield than anything else, goes right for the legs and takes the ballcarrier completely out of the play.  Thats one of the staples of his games, being a punishing tackler.

For some reason that video included all of his wacky, crazy plays where he was running all over the place instead of the boring stop-em-at-the-line-of-scrimmage plays Texas fans have come to see over the last few years.  Trust me, Huff is lights out with his tackles.

648489[/snapback]

I think Ngata in the first and then OL in the second, one in the 3rd and maybe one in the 4th or 5th. I think the minimum is going to be 2 offensive lineman taken in the draft.

I've felt this way for years. I'd love to see us draft nothing but linemen. Everyone says the draft his a crap shoot. So, why not just draft every lineman you can and hope a few pan out. Since the dawn of time, everyone knows this game is won in the trenches. Gloss it over all you want, but that fact still remains. Improve the lines and the skill players will suddenly appear.

We should draft a lineman with every pick

648461[/snapback]

Only problem with that is ideally you'd like every draft pick to make the team... at least for the first year when you draft them. Right now, the Bills have 9 picks, probably 10 after Moulds is finally gone. If you draft 5-6 OL and 4-5 DL, I don't see any way to keep them all. Sure, the chances of you getting lucky with them increase the more you take, but I think you'd end up wasting a lot of picks.

That being said, I support drafting 2 DT's and 2 OL on day 1. :doh:

I like a very line heavy draft, and think we will see it. But we need to use this draft and every coming draft to take the best football players possible looked at from a five year contribution window (or beyond). Other than QB (and possibly RB and punter) which are 1 guy positions in some ways, which don't need depth and don't have to have high turnover, we need to get the best guys.

Now that said, there will be a lot of "toss up" picks where we can pick the best DT over the 5'9" receiver without sacrificing the philosophy I'm talking about, but we can't let a clearly better player go to take someone clearly not as good because "we need O-Line and have good linebackers". These short term needs filling need to be done with Free Agency (not ignored). But to win a Super Bowl, we need to draft the best players we can, because needs change over time, but quality drafted players keep suiting up and making you feel happy with your decision.