keep prayer in school

gotsoccer22

Do you want to keep prayer in school?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep prayer in school?

• yes
    • no

I voted yes. Reason being the 6,000 other conversations we've had over the years. Removing religion from government was never the intent of the Constitution. Allowances are made for Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. everyday in order not to offend. I agree with maybe a five minute period where anyone who wants to can do as they please, in relation to this. Organized prayer in our present mixed society isn't going to wash. Placing the value of belief in a higher power into the system could never hurt, whether that higher power be called God, Jehovah or Allah. We have begun to believe that we are the most dominant force in the universe-and that's a dangerous and worthless concept.

I voted yes. Reason being the 6,000 other conversations we've had over the years. Removing religion from government was never the intent of the Constitution. Allowances are made for Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. everyday in order not to offend. I agree with maybe a five minute period where anyone who wants to can do as they please, in relation to this. Organized prayer in our present mixed society isn't going to wash. Placing the value of belief in a higher power into the system could never hurt, whether that higher power be called God, Jehovah or Allah. We have begun to believe that we are the most dominant force in the universe-and that's a dangerous and worthless concept.

47434[/snapback]

I'd go one step further than that and say "let's get government out of the education business altogether." The top down poisoning of our core beliefs began when the government pushed their way into our children's heads.

this is a trick question.  since prayer has already been removed from schools, it is hard to say it should or shouldn't be "kept" in schools.

47456[/snapback]

Prayer has not and will never be removed from schools, as long as teachers are giving pop quizzes. :rolleyes:

I attended Buffalo Public schools in the '50's and '60's. There wasn't much religion in the schools. We pledged allegiance to the Flag, under God. No preaching, nothing overt at all.

We did sing songs - "America the Beautiful", and my favorite "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", and "God Bless America". We sang Negro spirituals like "Get Away Jordan", "Old Black Joe", and "Follow The Drinkin' Gourd". We sang "Dixie" and "Camptown Races". And "O Solo Mio" and "La Cucharacha" and "Eidelweiss" and "Hava Negila".

We had Easter Vacation and Christmas Vacation. Catholics would go to religious instruction on Monday afternoon, and some Jews would go to Hebrew school on the same afternoon.

We also carried jacknives to school, but nobody got stabbed.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were far away the most popular lunch - yet kids never went into shock with all that peanut product around. There were no free school lunches - parents actually took care of their kids and packed them a lunch without demanding taxpayer money. The cafeteria would sell you brussels sprouts but no soda pop or corn dogs.

On your first day as a freshman in High School, you were smeared with lipstick as a rite of passage. These days, the SWAT teams and the lawyers and the camera crews would be out in force if that happened.

That was pretty much it. We were more tolerant of and more polite to each other then. Maybe that very small touch of religious values accounted for that...

I attended Buffalo Public schools in the '50's and '60's.  There wasn't much religion in the schools. We pledged allegiance to the Flag, under God. No preaching, nothing overt at all.

We did sing songs - "America the Beautiful", and my favorite "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", and "God Bless America". We sang Negro spirituals like "Get Away Jordan",  "Old Black Joe", and "Follow The Drinkin' Gourd". We sang "Dixie" and "Camptown Races".  And "O Solo Mio" and "La Cucharacha" and "Eidelweiss".

We had Easter Vacation and Christmas Vacation.  Catholics would go to religious instruction on Monday afternoon, and some Jews would go to Hebrew school on the same afternoon.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were far away the most popular lunch - yet kids never went into shock with all that peanut product around. There were no free school lunches - parents actually took care of their kids and packed them a lunch without demanding taxpayer money.  The cafeteria would sell you brussels sprouts but no soda pop or corn dogs.

On your first day as a freshman in High School, you were smeared with lipstick as a rite of passage. These days, the SWAT teams and the lawyers and the camera crews would be out in force if that happened.

That was pretty much it.  We were more tolerant of and more polite to each other then.  Maybe that very small touch of religious values accounted for that...

48418[/snapback]

I remember. We talked about some of this before. I've driven to high school with a shotgun in the back seat, 'cause it was pheasant season. History teacher out in the parking lot showing me his, as we compared. Grade school. Couldn't wait for the days you were allowed to wear your cub scout uniform to school, and show off your official jackknife. Way cool. Now, a kid doing that would be beaten to death.

Times have sure changed.

My parents wanted prayer in school, so they sent me to a Catholic school. If I'd gone to a public school and they started saying Jewish or (God forbid) Protestant prayers, I'd have been pissed off. If they said Catholic prayers the Jews would be pissed off. The Protestants would probably start another pogrom. Anyway, prayer should not be in public schools.

I'd go one step further than that and say "let's get government out of the education business altogether."  The top down poisoning of our core beliefs began when the government pushed their way into our children's heads.

47435[/snapback]

:lol:

Like "strange fruit" hanging from southern trees?

I think the "poison" in our core beliefs have always been there. You blame the governement for pissing in the vinegar?

Bring back "the good ole days" Darin... :D:P

My parents wanted prayer in school, so they sent me to a Catholic school.  If I'd gone to a public school and they started saying Jewish or (God forbid) Protestant prayers, I'd have been pissed off.  If they said Catholic prayers the Jews would be pissed off.  The Protestants would probably start another pogrom.  Anyway, prayer should not be in public schools.

48437[/snapback]

I heard no prayers in public school when I attended. Even if I did, it would not have bothered me - a prayer to God is a prayer to God regardless, if it based on salvation and peace and not warfare, glory, and murder. Why would you be pissed off if someone praised God in a different fashion than you? God would be displeased, I should think.

If religion in school - certainly much more prevalent in years past - is such a powerful influence as some now imply, we would have been a theocracy a hundred years ago...and we are not. I think those who raise a stink even about how little school religiosity there is today are a bunch of self-serving twits.

Wave your wand - get religion out of America. You would be horrified what this energetic, gifted, powerful populace would do to the world. Hitler and Stalin and Tojo and Khomeni and bin Laden and Mao would be mere popinjays in comparison...

My parents wanted prayer in school, so they sent me to a Catholic school.  If I'd gone to a public school and they started saying Jewish or (God forbid) Protestant prayers, I'd have been pissed off.  If they said Catholic prayers the Jews would be pissed off.  The Protestants would probably start another pogrom.  Anyway, prayer should not be in public schools.

48437[/snapback]

I wouldn't have organized prayer for that very reason. I would have a worship period, as mentioned where kids could pray to whoever they want. I would allow after school religious groups to meet. Schools can have a Gay club, why not allow CYO?

I attended Buffalo Public schools in the '50's and '60's.  There wasn't much religion in the schools. We pledged allegiance to the Flag, under God. No preaching, nothing overt at all.

We did sing songs - "America the Beautiful", and my favorite "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", and "God Bless America". We sang Negro spirituals like "Get Away Jordan",  "Old Black Joe", and "Follow The Drinkin' Gourd". We sang "Dixie" and "Camptown Races".  And "O Solo Mio" and "La Cucharacha" and "Eidelweiss" and "Hava Negila".

We had Easter Vacation and Christmas Vacation.  Catholics would go to religious instruction on Monday afternoon, and some Jews would go to Hebrew school on the same afternoon.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were far away the most popular lunch - yet kids never went into shock with all that peanut product around. There were no free school lunches - parents actually took care of their kids and packed them a lunch without demanding taxpayer money.  The cafeteria would sell you brussels sprouts but no soda pop or corn dogs.

That was pretty much it.  We were more tolerant of and more polite to each other then.  Maybe that very small touch of religious values accounted for that...

48418[/snapback]

Maybe it was the lack of rabid, paranoid fundamentalism that helped. What is it the Greeks said, "nothing to excess"?

Maybe it was the lack of rabid, paranoid fundamentalism that helped.  What is it the Greeks said, "nothing to excess"?

48589[/snapback]

I've heard scholars say it was the disestablishment clause, that unlike Europe, disallowed any sanction of any sect, and the people therefore chose their own avenues. But the Fathers obviously saw that the morality, an unblurred right and wrong that is embodied in religion would serve the nation well.

Maybe it was the lack of rabid, paranoid fundamentalism that helped.  What is it the Greeks said, "nothing to excess"?

48589[/snapback]

i will go ahead and presume you are talking about right wing christian fundamentalism.

if i am wrong, i apologize in advance.

in my opinion it is the rabid, paranoid funamentalism from the "other side" of the right wing Chrisitan position that put us in the mess we are in. The dogmatism of the Christian Right has always been the same and never changed. A steady diet of Biblical principals. And beofre the Liberal Left began shaking things up, and kicking God out of Scchool and country, everything seemed to be sailing along rather nicely.